All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Looking at web browsers on the Nokia 5800

Continuing our 5800 tutorial series, we take a look at how to use the Nokia 5800's built-in S60 web browser, and we also check out how to install the alternative Opera Mini browser on the 5800. S60 is fully-featured, Opera Mini is super-fast, but which is better? There's only way to find out... read the articles. Also, don't forget you can see a complete listing of all these guides on our 5800 tutorial index page.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 18-03-2009, 06:36 AM

asri is on a distinguished road
Talking

1. I dont know whether this applies for 5800 or not (coz I dont have one) but on S60 3rd Edition smartphones, you can bypass the internet permission easily.

2. On say an E51, make sure Opera Mini is not running in the background. Go to App. Manager, navigate to Opera Mini (with blue icon, normally at the bottom of the list), press "Options" - > "Open" and define your preferred "Access point". Then in "Network access" select "Always allowed".

Cheers!

Old 18-03-2009, 01:36 PM

kenkiller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asri View Post
1. I dont know whether this applies for 5800 or not (coz I dont have one) but on S60 3rd Edition smartphones, you can bypass the internet permission easily.

2. On say an E51, make sure Opera Mini is not running in the background. Go to App. Manager, navigate to Opera Mini (with blue icon, normally at the bottom of the list), press "Options" - > "Open" and define your preferred "Access point". Then in "Network access" select "Always allowed".

Cheers!
Too bad on 5800, we're not given the choice of Always Allowed. Only best choice is "Ask first time only"

Old 18-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

<i>S60 is fully-featured, Opera Mini is super-fast, but which is better? There's only way to find out...</i>

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Old 20-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
<i>S60 is fully-featured, Opera Mini is super-fast, but which is better? There's only way to find out...</i>

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
I'm glad someone got the joke... :-)

Old 21-03-2009, 02:49 PM

vnvnvn2000 is on a distinguished road
I'm having this problem where the Nokia 5800 Web Browser hangs the phone. It shows the first page of any address properly, but doesn't navigate to any links from the page, not even simple google search is working.
Is anybody facing this problem, please help. I have updated my firmware to v20 also.

Please help!!

Old 27-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Angry Browser

i habe the same problem with this browser. One or two klicks are ok, after the third klick, the mobile phone hangs and i have to start it up again. for some applications i can use of course opera mini, but some applications go directly onto the origin browser, which does not function.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Unregistered

Same here!

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the fact that I cannot use my BBC Iplayer application due to my web browser problem like the twoo above. Please, please help.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Unregistered

Aha!

Here's a neat trick for the S60 Browser;
Normally you can't open a new window by will. Well you can get used to the power of tabbed browsing by making a new bookmark with the following adress:
javascript:window.open('about:blank');
You can replace about:blank with a web address of your choosing. Cheers!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Browser Hangs

Same problem mentioned above, 2nd 3rd click and browser hangs. Any clue? It is a browser problem, other apps using connection are working, like nokia maps, access via PC. Don't know if it matters but I've installed and uninstalled Opera, have hou guys done the same?

Old 15-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

Nokia 5800 - Web Browsing

What I found, after same issue regarding browsing/links, is that after clicking Internet and Google homepage popping up. If I selected different connection, ie. O2 GPRS Streaming instead of O2 WAP (default one for me), that the web was then working fine and any links I clicked worked! Whereas before, after clicking link the progress bar just slowly trickled along.