All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-10-2010, 09:35 AM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
well, seeing as you put it in the wrong slot 1st time, you do actually have the SIM in the right way round yeah? As the little picture shows on the side.

Alternativly, have a press of the power button and pick a profile... do you still get the message?
Sadly I still get the same message. Everytime I pick the profile it won't go to general and says insert SIM card.

Also, the SIM card should click into place and click out of the slot but it doesn't.

Thing is I have the phone in green from the Nokia shop on T-Mobile and I don't want to lose that.

Old 18-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Okay so my phone has been a nightmare but guess what was delivered today? Another N8!! And it works!! Email, Facebook, Twitter and everything works. I'm happy now!!

Old 18-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
woooohoooo My #2 is certainly way better too... although I have had some mail client issues but mostly its all good.

Old 18-10-2010, 03:00 PM

macwhu is on a distinguished road
Yep I've stopped using the mail client as it was hanging my 'pre-commercial' software N8
so i put it down to that - been using web based gmail instead. which is sadly a quite crude 'wap'compared to the android/iPhone gmail mobile web interface.

Still I just installed the awesome JoikuSpot and its shiny new interface....

http://hellon8.tumblr.com/post/13441...-symbian-3-and

Old 18-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

ahhhh joikspot... my very 1st AAS review

Old 18-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
woooohoooo My #2 is certainly way better too... although I have had some mail client issues but mostly its all good.
You had to get a second one as well?

Old 18-10-2010, 03:55 PM

LoubieLou is on a distinguished road
N8

Just recieved the N8 this morning from Tesco Mobile 329 ,an tried the new three screens an got used to the software on the N8,then copied contacts on to my N8,an after 2 hours my N8 as now Frozen an just shows the Digital Clock an can"t turn the phone off,you used to able to remove batteries on other mobiles i have had an turn the phone back on,but on the N8 you are not aloud to remove the battery,so now got to wait while Tesco send me a package to return the N8 an get it Repaired,so really angry with the design of the N8 an Nokia not thinking that the N8 will never Freeze.might get the C7 instead of the N8 now

Old 18-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon6 View Post
You had to get a second one as well?
yup :(

LoubieLou, you can take the battery out but you'll need a torx driver

You could reset it tho... probably easiest from your PoV though to just return.

Old 18-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoubieLou View Post
Just recieved the N8 this morning from Tesco Mobile 329 ,an tried the new three screens an got used to the software on the N8,then copied contacts on to my N8,an after 2 hours my N8 as now Frozen an just shows the Digital Clock an can"t turn the phone off,you used to able to remove batteries on other mobiles i have had an turn the phone back on,but on the N8 you are not aloud to remove the battery,so now got to wait while Tesco send me a package to return the N8 an get it Repaired,so really angry with the design of the N8 an Nokia not thinking that the N8 will never Freeze.might get the C7 instead of the N8 now
That is no good at all. My first N8 was a donkey but thank God they sent me a second as the second is working much better. I do miss being able to take the battery out though.

Old 18-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

but you can... its easy... its 2 screws (might void your warrenty tho as there is a warranty sticker in there I think and its says not to in the manual ahahha)?

Old 18-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
yup :(
I'm sensing a theme here and I don't mean Midnight!!

Did you ask for one or did they just send it?

Quote:
LoubieLou, you can take the battery out but you'll need a torx driver

You could reset it tho... probably easiest from your PoV though to just return.
I agree about doing a hard reset if possible.

Old 18-10-2010, 04:58 PM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Whoa whoa... don't go getting the screwdriver out just yet!!

All you have to do is hold the power key down for 7 seconds and it does an immediate reset, just like removing the battery. When it happens you'll get 3 buzzes out of the buzzer. You can then restart with the power key again.

[edit] it's done in HW so works no matter what state the SW has got itself into.

Last edited by strcmp; 18-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Old 18-10-2010, 06:13 PM

What really annoys me is that I can't write in a text box such as this via the browser on the N8. I find that incredibly annoying and when I do write stuff it won't show up on here! Makes me miss my N95, 6600 and N70!!

Old 18-10-2010, 07:45 PM

LoubieLou is on a distinguished road
N8

Only had the N8 for 2-3 hours an just switch contacts to my N8 an the phone as now Frozen an just shows the Clock Screen Saver,an can"t switch the N8 off at all,you used to able to remove batteries on mobiles an switch it back on ,but the N8 as a non-removable battery,so now got to send the N8 back to get Repaired,thats the only disadvantage with the Design of the N8,an now might cancel the N8 off tesco mobile an get the C7 instead,as at least you can remove the battery on this mobile
Ads

Old 18-10-2010, 08:35 PM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoubieLou View Post
Only had the N8 for 2-3 hours an just switch contacts to my N8 an the phone as now Frozen an just shows the Clock Screen Saver,an can"t switch the N8 off at all,you used to able to remove batteries on mobiles an switch it back on ,but the N8 as a non-removable battery,so now got to send the N8 back to get Repaired,thats the only disadvantage with the Design of the N8,an now might cancel the N8 off tesco mobile an get the C7 instead,as at least you can remove the battery on this mobile
No no no. I already said You don't need to take the back off the phone to reset it. It has a hardware reset which you trigger by holding the power button down for 7 seconds. It'll buzz 3 times when it's about to turn off.

If the screen lock is on, it might tell you to press the onscreen button to unlock it but just ignore it and keep holding the power button down until the buzzing starts.

It's done in hardware so there's no way you can fail to turn it off unless the hardware is broken somehow.

The captive battery really only has one disadvantage - you can't swap it for a pre-charged spare easily. The HW reset takes care of all the other cases when you might want to pull the battery.