All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kontraband View Post
you can take panorama ones tho can't you?
Do you mean the panorama app that's featured here:-

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-n8-ge...orama-feature/

It doesn't come with it out of the box but is a forthcoming app due to be released in future on the Ovi Store.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 AM

KKKooonnntttrrraaabbbaaannnddd!!!!

I've been moderated!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
LOL... its not me modding it... its the flppin system. Its going hostile!

I did indeed mean a panorama app... I saw it from the N8 competition app winners probably... hence thinking it was already there.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Panorama is in the Ovi Store now, I installed it this morning. You can change photo aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 with a pinch gesture in the photo app.

What kind of lag are you seeing? I don't see much on mine.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strcmp View Post
Panorama is in the Ovi Store now, I installed it this morning. You can change photo aspect ratio between 4:3 and 16:9 with a pinch gesture in the photo app.

What kind of lag are you seeing? I don't see much on mine.
I have been experiencing lags in lots of different areas, as though the handset is playing catch-up.

I was playing a song and hit the hard Menu key and then moved to the 2nd home screen and had to wait for a repopulation and redraw of the widgets.

On another occaision I was again playing music in the background whilst browsing Maps and then opened the camera and found that I could not exit camera even after half a dozen presses.

It's not something that happens every time under the same circumstances. I can sometimes open Contacts to scroll through and find that it sticks.

Having said that, unlike the N97, you do not have to close down every app before moving on to the next one. The attached screen shots show all the open app's (18) on the phone with 65MB of RAM to spare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000025.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	4941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000026.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	4942  

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Fair enough, I guess it depends what you use on the homescreen - I don't have much on mine, I don't like to switch screens so everything I want is on the front.

I wouldn't have used maps and music and camera at the same time either, maps is usually an in-car thing for me, although I've had no problems with maps + music + FM transmitter. Guidance comes out of the phone, but that's fine.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM

tulloch is on a distinguished road
Hi Ironass,

Can you tell me if it has a notification (breathing) light and if so can it be configured to flash indefinitely until ackowledged by the user?

Also, does the Exchange mail support push and calendar synch? Finally, does it support Yahoo mail push without the ridiculous requirement of using Nokia's mail servers?

Thanks for your time.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
Hi Ironass,

Can you tell me if it has a notification (breathing) light and if so can it be configured to flash indefinitely until ackowledged by the user?

Also, does the Exchange mail support push and calendar synch? Finally, does it support Yahoo mail push without the ridiculous requirement of using Nokia's mail servers?

Thanks for your time.
Breathing (notification) light, behind the Menu hard key, can be set to "No limit".

As for the second part of your question, I'm afraid I haven't got round to trying that out yet.

If you look back to my screenshot "Homescreen 2" it shows a mail setup widget for New mailbox which includes Ovi, Yahoo, Windows Live and gmail.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM

vgs21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
I have been experiencing lags in lots of different areas, as though the handset is playing catch-up.

I was playing a song and hit the hard Menu key and then moved to the 2nd home screen and had to wait for a repopulation and redraw of the widgets.

On another occaision I was again playing music in the background whilst browsing Maps and then opened the camera and found that I could not exit camera even after half a dozen presses.

It's not something that happens every time under the same circumstances. I can sometimes open Contacts to scroll through and find that it sticks.

Having said that, unlike the N97, you do not have to close down every app before moving on to the next one. The attached screen shots show all the open app's (18) on the phone with 65MB of RAM to spare.
Im asking a favour from u Iron. As u must have experience by now that whenever u try to send an sms to a group of ur contacts phones operatin and sms sending procedure becomes slow in sending and if u have kept delivery reports on then it bcomes real slow and pathetic. This is what is happening with me in N97. I jus wanna ask u Does the same happens in N8 when u try to send an sms to many people at a time by both Delivery report as YES and NO both. Plz help me bcoz i ve made up my mind to buy N8. So need a bit of advice.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

tulloch is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that. Looking forward to further comment from you.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 AM

So, on a slight tangent - when are we going to get a 'Nokia S^3' forum I think N8s are going to start rolling out next week in the UK - preorders first and operator sales the week after. Vodafone says they will be delivering on 22nd October, I'm hoping to go into a Vodafone shop on 23rd to get my second one although I'm not sure if I should wait for the C7 or C6-01. The second one is for my wife and she's not that great at focussing with our digital camera, so the EDOF camera will probably mean she gets better shots more often..

I presume there will be a few more readers either getting their hands on one or asking questions before getting one, so it'd be useful to have the forum ready..

Old 09-10-2010, 10:03 AM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
Well I think the N8 is a great looking phone but they should have at least refreshed the icons and font. If anything not to remind people of the N97. Even though new Symbian works faster it looks old even though it's new. Nokia can be such buffoons!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM

The N8 will only connect to Ovi Suite and is not supported by Nokia PC Suite.

The N8 is certainly faster than the N97 and has RAM to spare without having to close each individual app.

As for Symbian ^3 I can't help but get the nagging feeling that it's just a stop gap between Symbian 3 and MeeGo to allow Nokia to carry on selling handsets.

Battery life is proving good, much better than the N97. I can go a whole day, even playing with it, without charging. Just as well as the battery is not designed to be changed but is screwed in.

Quite a nice cover flow (a la iTunes) in Music. See screenie.

I do agree that the themes and icons are now looking a bit tired and jaded when compared with other makers handsets. SPB Shell and Pizero themes should cure that though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr000027.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	4943  

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 PM

cylon6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Some screenies of the N8 showing the "new" UI on Symbian^3.
This is using the "Midnight Silver" theme that came, with 3 other Midnight variations, as a System Update when I received the handset!
There are now 9 themes on the N8.
I have read somewhere that there are themes where you can change the icons on the N8 and that seems like that is true. Can you show any more and can you change the font?

And if only Nokia mentioned this before I wouldn't have been so down on the icons and font. When I get mine the first thing I'm doing is changing the icons and font if possible.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:34 AM

S^3 is still symbian, you can change the font, icons, skins, transition effects etc. S^4, who knows yet - it's a new UI.