All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 AM

pkidza is on a distinguished road
How to get new versions of software on Nokia N97 Mini

Hi

I have bought quite a lot of software on the OVI store on my Nokia N97 mini. When a new update for the software comes along does the Ovi Store update it? Is there a home screen widget or something that I can use to show me updates for applications from the store?

Thank you

Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkidza View Post
Hi

I have bought quite a lot of software on the OVI store on my Nokia N97 mini. When a new update for the software comes along does the Ovi Store update it? Is there a home screen widget or something that I can use to show me updates for applications from the store?

Thank you
Go to "My Stuff" in Ovi store. It allows you to re-download app's a certain number of times.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:26 PM

pkidza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Go to "My Stuff" in Ovi store. It allows you to re-download app's a certain number of times.
But then if the developer updates their software more than 5 times I can no longer download the software?
Ads

Old 03-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkidza View Post
But then if the developer updates their software more than 5 times I can no longer download the software?
Most app's do not come with a lifetime update guarantee I'm afraid. Usually it's limited to free updates within the same version number. i.e. v2.1 to v2.9 = FREE whilst v2.1 to v3.5 usually means another purchase.

You can contact the Ovi Store and obtain more downloads of a particular app, I have done this myself, and state your reasons why.

Hope this helps.

Old 13-07-2010, 11:17 PM

PDAMad is on a distinguished road
ironass, you've missed the point of the OP's question.

Answer is Ovi Store doesn't tell you there are updates available. It doesn't even show you version numbers!

There is a "Software Update" applet built into ROM but AFAIK this only covers Nokia bundled apps and add-ons (such as Messaging) and not 3rd party software.

Compare this to the app update mechanisms for Android, Blackberry, WebOS and even Maemo, which make it easy for the user to ensure his apps are up to date, restored, or even transferred to a replacement device, and you have yet more evidence why the Symbian / N97 experience is way below par.

Of course, seeing as most S60 development has dried up through lack of interest, even if there was such a notification mechanism in Ovi, no one would probably notice anyway!

Last edited by PDAMad; 13-07-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Old 14-07-2010, 12:29 AM

You're right... my apologies.

I probably hadn't had enough black coffee before replying.

It is annoying that software versions are not generally shown on Ovi Store or that under My Stuff they do not notify you of updates.

I try and get as many app's from the original sources and then check back at regular intervals for updates.