All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-06-2010, 10:25 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
As if things weren't bad enough for Apple and iPhone 4 customers it seems that older models of iPhone that have updated their handsets to the eagerly awaited new firmware release, iOS4, are experiencing problems.

It seems the new firmware is causing the iPhone's to slow down and fail to launch apps. More details here:-

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/articles...ntid=153903263

Old 25-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Wow, a lot of negativity in this thread! I meant I know it's a symbian forum, but i posted to say goodbye and so you guys could get a fair comparison.

I lolled at the holding it wrong post too, good old steve and his e-mails, but even though my bars drop a little it doesnt affect my call quality nor have i lost a call yet, if i find it's a problem in the future, i'll just get a case. The wi-fi is excellent, very quick and connects to my home and work instantly, N97 never could figure that out.

Ironass, the front screen is actually gorilla glass, it's like the toughest out there, unlike my N97 which has at least 3 prominent scratches on it. The resolution is superb and the IPS looks awesome at any angle. The e-mail and calendar implementation is flawless. Can't fault it at all.

To answer stuntmans question, the typing will take a little getting used to, i won't say i dont miss my big n97 keyboard, but you can flip the iphone on the side (4x faster then the n97) and use the slightly bigger version there if you need to get used to it, which i do. I agree on the blackberrys, they have them here at work and they're hideous.

With 3's deal, the iPhone, though expensive is more reasonably priced, they'll never compete with Nokia in terms of price, the N8 is actually some good hardware very reasonably priced. But symbian is atrocious, at least 2 years behind the iPhone OS.

Will def keep the 4 for now, see what happens when Windows release winmo7 or whatever they call it!

Old 25-06-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post

Ironass, the front screen is actually gorilla glass, it's like the toughest out there, unlike my N97 which has at least 3 prominent scratches on it. The resolution is superb and the IPS looks awesome at any angle. The e-mail and calendar implementation is flawless. Can't fault it at all.
My comments are not aimed at you zyyb. Far from it.

Rather at the hype surrounding each release of the iPhone, particularly the first one when we were told by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, that it was, "5 years ahead of any other phone".

As for my Gorilla Glass comments, this was based on this endgadget report showing scratches already on the iPhone 4:-

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/23/y...-the-iphone-4/

plus this "drop test" video, showing the Gorilla Glass shattering:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFAw-mJaru8

I wish you the best of luck with the iPhone 4 and will miss you on the forum.

Last edited by ironass; 25-06-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: update

Old 25-06-2010, 12:27 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
I had a play with one yesterday - it's a lovely bit of kit and the screen is awesome.

I am pleased to say though that it didn't make me feel short changed with my Desire. Phew.

Actually, the guy that got it at my work queued up for it, only to leave it on his car roof when he drove off!

Luckily it survived

Old 25-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My N97 has a few scratches on it as well. Not too prominent unless I look at it from a certain angle. This is after 3 months of ownership.

I don't doubt that the resolution is great and the images on the iPhone 4 are crisper than on the N97. The specs sure are impressive. I'm just wondering if you had a chance to compare the iPhone 4 display to the N8, Nexus One or other phones with similar displays. I would like to know how the iPhone 4 display compares to other high end phones that came out around the same time.

Also, have you experienced the yellow streaks that have been reported by some iPhone users?

Quote:
To answer stuntmans question, the typing will take a little getting used to, i won't say i dont miss my big n97 keyboard, but you can flip the iphone on the side (4x faster then the n97) and use the slightly bigger version there if you need to get used to it, which i do. I agree on the blackberrys, they have them here at work and they're hideous.
Thanks for the feedback on the keyboard.

Quote:
With 3's deal, the iPhone, though expensive is more reasonably priced, they'll never compete with Nokia in terms of price, the N8 is actually some good hardware very reasonably priced. But symbian is atrocious, at least 2 years behind the iPhone OS.

Will def keep the 4 for now, see what happens when Windows release winmo7 or whatever they call it!
Nokia is moving to MeeGo for high end phones in the future. Sounds like they are following WinMo in that sense. My understanding is that WinMo7 is going to be totally different than older versions. It's almost like going from Symbian to MeeGo.

One last thing. I was wondering if you considered any other device when you decided to upgrade from your N97. If so, what was it about the iPhone that made you go with it over other smartphones.

Old 26-06-2010, 12:25 AM

Hey Iron, I hadn't seen the one about it smashing, I watched the will it blend and it looks like a tough little phone to break down, goes pinging around all over the place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post

I don't doubt that the resolution is great and the images on the iPhone 4 are crisper than on the N97. The specs sure are impressive. I'm just wondering if you had a chance to compare the iPhone 4 display to the N8, Nexus One or other phones with similar displays. I would like to know how the iPhone 4 display compares to other high end phones that came out around the same time.
My brother has the Nexus One, it's a nice AMOLED, but for viewing angles the iPhone rocks, it's the same IPS screen that's on the iPad which means you can basically view it from any angle. It's pretty intense!

The width of the phone is just crazy too, i feel like i drop it each time because theres so little to put down and it's very flat.

A new note on charging, battery was at 52% and within 29 minutes it's up to 80% (using my mains powered iPad adapter. Yes, i'm sorry, i have an iPad too, i still hate apple, would love to see a USB or you know some .avis, but they're design and implementation stands far above others in my eyes)

Had a fairly long facetime chat, I have used 3g video calling before, but facetime, is way better. Clearer, louder, almost no image blur and higher res, but then it is wi-fi only, but that also means its free!

Quote:

Also, have you experienced the yellow streaks that have been reported by some iPhone users?
Nope, though i read on Engadget somewhere that the yellow dots are part of the bonding process and that they're only there because the factory is shipping them out too quick, but after a few days use with the screen on, they'll evaporate. the guy who said works for the actual glue company so i think it's fairly reliable!

On the antenna note, i tried it and really squeezed that bottom corner where the antennas met, my signal started to drop like you can see in the YouTube vids, but after it went down to 2 bars, it went back to 3 and stayed there while i made a minute long call which sounded fine, so not sure about that one, i'll see if it happens in the future, could be annoying.

Quote:

Nokia is moving to MeeGo for high end phones in the future. Sounds like they are following WinMo in that sense. My understanding is that WinMo7 is going to be totally different than older versions. It's almost like going from Symbian to MeeGo.

One last thing. I was wondering if you considered any other device when you decided to upgrade from your N97. If so, what was it about the iPhone that made you go with it over other smartphones.
WinMo7 just looks really different and i do miss widgets on my home screen (calendar) the most, but now i have the calendar on My Yahoo! page and it syncs automatically to the phone too, so i don't miss any events.

I was considering the HTC Evo (on android) the N8 and the iPhone 4. I ruled the N8 out when i saw the low processor speed, ram and Symbian on it, it would be the N97 waiting for updates again. Too much time i spent on that phone! The Evo I ruled out because i'm not even sure it's coming over here, it definitely wont be 3G.

And from my bro, who bought the nexus one a week after launch and has just ditched it for the iPhone 4 told me that Android just isn't as polished and although Apple has strict rules (far too draconian and i do hate them for it a bit) for it's apps, that's what makes them so good! so polished and easy to use. Everything just works, almost right away and you don't have to worry.

Apple is like Mussolinis (sp) Italy, it's harsh sometimes, but all the trains run on time!

I spent about 4 seconds taking a picture with the geotagging turned on, processed the pic in less then a second, went to "places" and there it was already on the map!

Downfalls of the iPhone 4? Cost. And don't forget about the cost of accessories, Apple want £25 for a dock, it doesn't even come with the USB cable, it's just a heavy piece of white plastic with a 20 pin connector. for TWENTY FIVE POUNDS! Chargers are like £20, who doesn't have 5 Nokia chargers lying around or buy one for 99p!

No simple micro USB. May take a little while for Longtime Nokia users to get used to it all, well it is for me!

Hope i helped a little!

Old 26-06-2010, 12:38 AM

This is a US based poll mind where they get 4G and you can only get an AT&T iPhone.

iPhone 4 or an EVO 4G?

iPhone 4 13372 (39.2%)
EVO 4G 12972 (38.1%)
Holding out for something better 5296 (15.5%)
I'm happy with what I have 2434 (7.1%)

Evo would def be my second choice for the meantime!
Ads

Old 26-06-2010, 01:01 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is a US based poll mind where they get 4G and you can only get an AT&T iPhone.

iPhone 4 or an EVO 4G?

iPhone 4 13372 (39.2%)
EVO 4G 12972 (38.1%)
Holding out for something better 5296 (15.5%)
I'm happy with what I have 2434 (7.1%)

Evo would def be my second choice for the meantime!
the EVO is pointless for anyone without a service

I fall into both the 3rd and 4th camps ..

Old 28-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Thanks, for the info Zyyb. That was most insightful.

Old 29-06-2010, 05:43 AM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
iPhone4 vs HTC Evo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Old 29-06-2010, 09:03 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksnes View Post
thank you .. I laughed so much I cried! ..

Old 29-06-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleksnes View Post

Old 29-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
lol... went on a bit... but still amusing.

Old 21-07-2010, 03:22 PM

"iPad... there's no right way and no wrong way to hold it"....

If only the iPhone 4 was that advanced!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it)

Old 22-07-2010, 11:33 AM

matthewrleech is on a distinguished road
There are a few iPhone owners in my office and it's interesting to hear their daily defence of its (the 3GS mainly) shortcomings and more recently the 4's problems, not least of which is the antenna/reception issue. They were talking today about how many other manufacturers' phones suffer from the same reception problem, as 'proved' by Apple (http://www.apple.com/antenna/).

From what I can gather, Apple's proof seems to consist of blocking the signal to the tested phones' internal antennas.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the issue with the iPhone4 reception was caused by the two metal strips on the lower-left side being connected by the hand, not from obscuring the signal. If this is not the case, why would peoples’ suggestions of sticky tape over the offending metal strips solve the problem?

Where is Apple’s evidence of other manufacturers’ reception problems being caused by parts of the outer casing simply being touched?

If you physically block the signal on ANY phone of course the signal strength will drop! Dur!