All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-12-2009, 11:18 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigster View Post
I am awaiting the parts to come in to Comm Tech near Gt. Yarmouth to fix the gps but when I phoned to ask about the sponge, the technician didn't know anything about it, so do Nokia automatically send the sponge when they send out the replacement back/camera lens or should the technician have ordered it at the same time?

Greigster
I may have read somewhere that the replacement back-plates contain a new version of the GPS antennae which is not subject to the RF interference problem of the early release N97's - BICBW!

Old 23-12-2009, 11:20 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Im still trying to find anyone that has seen this legendary sponge so I can make comparisons. The guys at Crown Mobile in Coventry showed me a little square, less than 1cm x 1cm, about a mil thick and sort of grey in colour. Looked to be on a little strip.

Just looks like some standard parts.

That's why I asked if there was a specific part that had to be ordered in specially.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Simon

Old 24-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Lasikie is on a distinguished road
I had mine fixed a while back, and it seems to be hopeless again. dropping out all the time and recalculating alot. I use the sat nav all day 5 days a week for my work. Think I should ring them again?

Old 27-12-2009, 02:00 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I had the factory GPS antenna repair back in October. It reduced the time to get a GPS fix significantly, with only occasional loss-of-fixes during Oct/Nov.

Now that we're into December and it is very cold, the GPS gets a fix super-fast and holds it.

I wonder if the problem could also be heat-related?

Back in the summer I'd notice that my N97 was pretty hot when it wasn't getting a good fix.

Maybe that explains why folks in northern Europe were not having as many problems as those of us who were in warmer climes?
Ads

Old 27-12-2009, 06:07 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I had the factory GPS antenna repair back in October. ...
I wonder if the problem could also be heat-related?

Back in the summer I'd notice that my N97 was pretty hot when it wasn't getting a good fix.
As you stated, you had your GPS fixed in October, that's why it is better now than it was in summer (before the repair).
Ambient temperature has nothing whatsoever to do with GPS accuracy.

Old 30-12-2009, 06:54 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
To test the TEMPERATURE sensitivity of the N97's GPS I have been running tests:

With the N97 cold I get a GPS fix in 5-20 seconds.

To get the N97 hot, I plugged it into the charge for 30 minutes before taking it outside and trying to get it fix. Five minutes....NO fix, not even one satellite.

I think that the circuitry design cannot work properly when the N97 is over-heated.

Since I'm testing the GPS software for Nokia and reporting the flaws in the program logic and map data, this is another adverse behavior that I'm going to report after I've run it through a couple of more cycles (to ensure repeatability of the error).