All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-03-2003, 01:22 AM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
A call to all software developers & SE updates team!

I have fiddled around with my P800 for quite some time now and feel that there are still very few aps for it. Here is a request for some aps that you mite feel useful. I hope everyone will post their ideas here too to help the developers.

1.) An ap that allows you to store birthdays, anniversaries and whatever annual/semi annual/quarterely/monthly recurring events. And for the Birthday and Anniv it should compute how old the person ansd how long they have been togther. Hopefuly it canalso intigrate with handy day

2.) An ap for the desktop(PC/LAPTOP) that allows you to Send and Recieve SMS/MMS through our desktop. So that everytime we have it on the cradle and a message comes in, we dont have to pull it out again or have that awkward position of trying to write something with the stylus on the P800 while on the cradle.

3.) Voice dialling for the numbers. Each number will have a corresponding voice activation stored for it so that when diallng all you have to do is say the numbers after the beep. Heres an example:
P800 = "Please say the number after the Beep in intervals of 1 second"
You/us/we: "Three(wait a 1 second) two (wait a 1 second)..etc.."
Did you get what I mean? So instead of dialling 3239273 manually to call a friend (who is not on your voice dialling list) all you have to do is sayhis numbers. And this would go for all those numbers that are not on your VD list. It doesnt necessarily have to be 1 second, it could be half a second. Im sur ethere has to be an interval unless the program would be smart enough to break apart the numbers said in one word like "three two three nine two seven three."

This is probably mroe of an SE upgrade request.

4.) When you are on flip mode close and you go to sms to send a message, then you are at theis scree to:_____________. Now its thadding a receptiant to me thats a problem because when you click "ok" it will go in to your phone book but to search for a number all you can do is click on the first letter(eg: letter"a" and it will take you to all the "a's" in your phonebook). Why cant it be like when we are searching for a number to call or dial, wherein you can enter the entire name?? Or mayber it can be like when sending sms while filp is open where you can place tick marks beside the names you want to send it too, yeah this would be nice since while flip is close you can only send an SMS to one person :(

5.) Is there a way to avaid using the jog dial when flip is close? It would be nice if the envelopt(messages), Phonebook, call list, calendar and applications would have assgined keypad numbers so you can go direstly to them without scrolling with the jogdial. Well for th ephonebook there is a short cut already which I find tremendously convenient, wherein you can just press and hold on the keypad and it will go that specific letter already, eg press and hold keypad number "5(jkl)" and it will go to letter "'j" list on the phonebook. and for the call list you do have the "ok" button for that. whatabout the others? There should also be shortcuts for them. I know you can click on the "options" button->"#" sign-> which will then lead you to all the applications which have assigned numbered shortcuts already but when sending SMS it just takes too long. SMS is one of the most important function and the widely used also so there should be a 1 key shortcut for it. Any Ideas?

Well I hope this gets to the devlopers and SE. We need your help

Old 15-03-2003, 02:26 AM

I missed out on something very important!

6.) A way to sync with palm o.s. or their own version and not use outlook anymore.

Old 15-03-2003, 05:44 AM

Zak248313 is on a distinguished road
#2 = Good idea.

Old 16-03-2003, 12:19 PM

I saw on www.epocware.com's aps for the 3650 that they had a birthday ap already, why couldnt they make one for P800?

Old 17-03-2003, 10:30 AM

It would be usefull for the enter unlock screen to have your current status shown, e.g. calls missed, sms received and time. This means if you do not notice your phone has recieved a call you just need to tap the screen to check the phone and you do not need to unlock it first. Very usfull as this is not the most pocket sized phone around.

Dave

Old 17-03-2003, 10:57 AM

Also an ap to record videos! I cant understand why the 3650 can do it and ours cant :( Ive tried using packet video to rip avi's from my digi cam into mp4s and sending them as mms and its great, for short messages that you want to be understood clearly. Wish we could record already :( thats the closes we can get to 3G you know..

Old 17-03-2003, 06:51 PM

An upgrade recomendation:

Whend sending SMS while flip closed, when we press the "To:___" part it brings us the the phonebook but with a different way to search for a name. TO be more precise, it uses the first letter search wherein we have to scroll down for the specific name. Why can it use specific search name option so we can just type the name right away, same as when you have flip closed and long press on a certain number, it then takes you that letter on the phonebook and allows you to type the whole name for the search. Did you get it?

Old 17-03-2003, 09:13 PM

when i send sms, to make it easier, i go to contacts first, there i could type in the whole name and then click the mobile phone number of the person, press the menu and then choose : 1 send sms, 2 send mms, 3 call, 4 send as, 5 delete contact, # applications. I then press 1 to send sms. i think this would be easier for now, until they develop a better way. I use to be a nokia user (6150, 7110, 8910; this is my first SE phone) so i think this would be easier for previous nokia owners like me.

Old 18-03-2003, 01:56 AM

Same here, a workaround But my problem is when choosing multi recipients, how do are we able to send sms to a certain group? On the T68i you are able to make a group and send it to the group. I was also a previuos nokia use, 2110, 2110i, 3810, 6150(got stolen, one of the best Nokia phones ever made), 6210, 7110, 8310 then my last nokia phone was the 6510 which I gave to my sister then I moved to the SE t68i. All in a span of around 8 years

PDA's:
Sharp zaurus 5000X(I forgot if it was 5000 or 4000 or something like that, Palm M500, PalmM505, then one of the best CLIE NR70V. Now together with the T68i and Bluetooth Memstick on the clie, I could say they make a great couple! Now I have the P800, my first phone/PDA combo and I have no regrets

Old 18-03-2003, 02:47 AM

fonzki is on a distinguished road
WOW muzik, you should rename yourself to GADGETFREAKAH. Lot's of gadgets. You forgot to mention your bluetooth headset.

And all your suggestions are what came to my mind one time or the other. And we WISH SE had done something about it in the first place that they were designing this phone. Those are mostly Nokia features that we want in our P800.

1 and 2 are the best suggestions and will be very very helpful. Also the suggestions on how to choose a contact for sending SMS or calling in both flip open & closed modes

Old 18-03-2003, 03:35 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Would REALLY like #1 and #3

Old 19-03-2003, 10:29 AM

PIM synching

I was pretty annoyed to find that there was not even a basic PC-side PIM to synchronise with. I really don't want to install Outlook just for that.

Palm Desktop would be ideal - I'm sure I'm not the only person to be moving from a PalmOS PDA to the P800. I don't suppose legally SE would really be able to do it, but a third party way of doing it would be great.

Really SE should have supplied it with some kind of PIM.

Old 19-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Delfino aka Amir is on a distinguished road
cool !!!

i find your #3 very cool. #2 will be practical.
CXC162001 R1G05
CDA162001/8 R1F04

Old 19-03-2003, 11:34 AM

Well I just love gadgets Fonzki

I saw some other post of other peoples wishes like:
- Audio control while flip close. Meaning you can browse other songs, move forward, backward, pause/play etc...

Feel free to add any of your wanted aps.. Again this post is for all the developers out there!

Heres #7.

A way to be able to access the folders in contacts when sending sms. This for the group sending function workaround. I have my contacts sorted into very specific folders so I can send a message to a specific group but I cant access the folders when sending sms.. useless...

Old 20-03-2003, 06:27 AM

fonzki is on a distinguished road
I have a lot of issues with P800 software but Handy Day 2.0 solves a lot of it. Even has color schemes.

But the problems you pointed out still a problem since Handy Day uses the built in programs, like SMS.