All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Gavin Watson is on a distinguished road
Email solution?

Hi all,

I am looking for an email solution for my N95, if anyone can help, would be most grateful.

I would like an app, or piece of software that will make a connection every 'x' minutes, check for new emails, and alert me if any have been received, then disconnect.

I do not really want it to stay connected as would run battery down too quick, and also would like to have the interval it checks at set by myself.

My email server is a standard pop3/smtp server, just dont want to keep on having to manually check for emails!

Does anyone know of a solution for me?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM

shug is on a distinguished road
The inbuilt email client will do all of that for you but you might want to consider the Nokia Messaging app. It pulls a copy of the emails to the Nokia server and pushes them to your phone. You're not permanently connected and your phone is not polling at all but you get your emails almost instantly.
https://email.nokia.com

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
[quote=Gavin Watson;416110]Hi all,

I am looking for an email solution for my N95, if anyone can help, would be most grateful.

I would like an app, or piece of software that will make a connection every 'x' minutes, check for new emails, and alert me if any have been received, then disconnect.

I do not really want it to stay connected as would run battery down too quick, and also would like to have the interval it checks at set by myself.

My email server is a standard pop3/smtp server, just dont want to keep on having to manually check for emails!

[./QUOTE]
You should take a look at Profimail. It's the best standalone email client for S60, doesn't impose any recurring charges (although you do have to pay for the software), provides excellent support for HTML email and attachments, and it let's you customize the display and all other parameters however you like which means that you can fetch on whatever schedule you like and that you can see a reasonable amount of text on a single screen - unlike the built in email client.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance.
Profimail does all of the above, and in addition fully supports HTML email content.
Costs @ 25 UKP, go to www.lonelycatgames.com for a free trial.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
[quote=xerxes;418612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Watson View Post
[./QUOTE]
You should take a look at Profimail. It's the best standalone email client for S60, doesn't impose any recurring charges .
You would be advised to purchase an unlimited web bolt on for any email client configured to regularly check new email!
Any 3G/GPRS data transfers (when not within WiFi range) will soon rack up a very large bill.