All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-01-2003, 11:52 PM

coolvi is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried the "5. Format internal disk" option?!
Ads

Old 01-03-2003, 02:37 PM

p800

good work how do i sync my p800 to apple ge osx10x

Old 01-03-2003, 05:41 PM

SAFE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear_Admiral
Another nice trick: to get access to the service menu, use the following combination: turn jog dial up ,*,down, down,*,down,*
Where do I input this sequence?

Old 01-03-2003, 10:04 PM

phunqe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rear_Admiral
Another nice trick: to get access to the service menu, use the following combination: turn jog dial up ,*,down, down,*,down,*
Where do I input this sequence?
In flip closed mode

Old 03-03-2003, 03:50 PM

test

test

Old 03-03-2003, 03:53 PM

BT MSI dongle from scan.co.uk

Hi all

I've just order a MSI dongle from scan.co.uk.

When you have setup the phone and PC and they talk to each other
how do you configure your PC to connect to the internet when its gets
a request from the BT enabled p800.

I take it your basically using your PC as the internet gateway here, but
how does this work in practice.

Thanks

Ian

Old 03-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
You cannot initiate a BT serial port connection from the P800, you have to start the connection from your PC. And when you have a stable BT serial port connection between your PC and P800, simply open the P800 Opera browser, and off you go surfing through your PC's ADSL(or whatever)connection. Simple as that.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 07-03-2003, 02:43 PM

ceemrl is on a distinguished road
I'm having some issues getting this running under Linux. I have a working BT connection using the BlueZ stack, and I can get my P800 connected (with the <> sign beside the Bluetooth image), but as soon as I start WV it starts GPRS, too.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Old 07-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it normally should choose BT/DSL over GPRS(Opera and WebViewer).

Do you have internet sharing enabled on you PC?
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 PM

Call me stupid..

But if you have a PC, with a broadband net connection and are within (what) 10 feet of it for the bluetooth connection to work, why are you bothering to browse the web on the P800 when the PC, with a chuffing great screen and full speed access (as oppose to BT speed) is sat right next to you?

Other than 'because you can', which is OK for about 30 seconds then starts seeming a bit pointless after that.

Is this webviewer app any better than Opera P800?

As to Mac OS 10, there is no Ericsson software for that OS nor would I hold your breath for it to arrive. However, Apple and SE do have a good relationship, and Apple's inbuilt iCal and iSync software work well with the T68i. I haven't tried it with my P800 yet (I don't have a BT adapter for my Mac) but if they don't work with the P800 now, they will very soon. That's if you've got 10.2...

Old 07-03-2003, 04:00 PM

proxy servers

does the BT connection from the phone go thou ports like 8080 instead
of 80.
The reason why I ask is because I have a outbound proxy server on
8080 and so the p800 will hit it on port 80 instead of 8080.

Can you tell the p800 to change its ports

Old 07-03-2003, 04:07 PM

ceemrl is on a distinguished road
Raven - the Linux box that my BT dongle is on is my firewall/router/ADSL connected box. It has access to the ADSL connection, and I didn't think I needed to do any more, but now you mention it... I'll check when I get home.

Jonbwfc - there is certainly an element of 'because I can', however if someone else is using that PC, I'm in another room or outside (where I do get BT connection) then it would be useful. Additionally, I have my P800 set to check for mail on a regular basis. Given that it uses 2.4k to check that nothing is there, I can see some small bandwidth savings.

Friends also run BT in their flat and have broadband, so, again more flexibility and potential reduction in expenditure. :-)

Old 07-03-2003, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Call me stupid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbwfc
But if you have a PC, with a broadband net connection and are within (what) 10 feet of it for the bluetooth connection to work, why are you bothering to browse the web on the P800 when the PC, with a chuffing great screen and full speed access (as oppose to BT speed) is sat right next to you?

Other than 'because you can', which is OK for about 30 seconds then starts seeming a bit pointless after that.

Is this webviewer app any better than Opera P800?

As to Mac OS 10, there is no Ericsson software for that OS nor would I hold your breath for it to arrive. However, Apple and SE do have a good relationship, and Apple's inbuilt iCal and iSync software work well with the T68i. I haven't tried it with my P800 yet (I don't have a BT adapter for my Mac) but if they don't work with the P800 now, they will very soon. That's if you've got 10.2...
Actually the BT range is approx. 10 meters(not feet) and it can go through walls, so if you have your PC upstairs and bedroom downstairs you can browse the web and check your mail(without having to use expensive GPRS) before you go to sleep. That's just one suggestion, and of course it might not be so usefull to everyone, but I think it's kinda fun, and if you have a program on your P800 which requires GPRS for updating, streaming, downloading etc you can use it through BT/IR/USB instead, quite usefull and a money saver I think.

And, no, WebViewer was just an alternative before we got Opera. WebViewer is written in Java and doesn't take use of the entire screen, and it doesn't have all the features of Opera.

Cheers.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:30 PM

How to make connection between P800 and Pc?

I am not clear how to connect p800 with pc?
dial up, lan access or serial port connection?
How do you do this? from PC or from p800 to initiate the connection?

Thanks in advance
my email address is
beichuang@yahoo.com

Old 07-03-2003, 09:35 PM

Xavier is on a distinguished road
bluetooth passthrough internet access apparently only works on systems running the SE proxy stack, which is part of the SE software suite... so if you're using OSX or *nix you might be out of luck.