All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-08-2009, 02:59 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
How do you get a replacement from Nokia?

i've tried phoning up Nokia After Care, without much success.

Obviously, because of the GPS and Camera Lens problems, i want my phone replaced with a working handset.

First phone call sounded like it was going alright, i'd explained my problems, and said i wanted the phone replaced. I was being put through to another department when i got cut off. Cheers.

So i phoned back and (finally) got through to somebody. This time she said that they won't replace handsets, only repair them, she insisted this was all i'd get from Nokia.
She refused to let me speak to anybody else when i asked, cause she was obviously useless.

So next i thought i'd try ringing a Nokia Service Point near me, which then i got told that the replacement limit (even for faulty handsets) is 28 days from purchase.

Seriously not happy at the moment.

Anybody got any ideas to how i'll get a replacement?

Has anybody else successfully managed this?

(also, trying to find that thread where somebody posted all the consumer rights details and i remember someone saying that the limit is 6 months i think?)
(found it - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...2&postcount=89)

Last edited by munkiii; 24-08-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 24-08-2009, 03:19 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
The links suggest you should return it to the retailer, who did you buy it from? If you bought it direct from Nokia then i'd wait to see how Dave's turns out, he's asked them for a replacement model.

I bought mine privately so will be stuck with the GPS suckness forever, unless they manage to repair it in care points at some point in time..

Old 24-08-2009, 03:35 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
The links suggest you should return it to the retailer, who did you buy it from? If you bought it direct from Nokia then i'd wait to see how Dave's turns out, he's asked them for a replacement model.
Nokia Online Shop

Dave Cozens?
Interesting... Wonder how he got them to replace his? Will wait for him to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
stuck with the GPS suckness forever, unless they manage to repair it in care points at some point in time.
Thats why i don't want to send it for repair, because i highly doubt they will be able to fix the GPS problem.

Old 24-08-2009, 05:03 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
it was me that posted the uk consumer laws

if you send it away for repair and it comes back with the same problem then by uk law you are entitled to a replacement or refund mate according to the uk consumer rights

youll have to play ball here

send it away for repair , sellotape a note with the list of faults to the handset and send it away for repair also print of the consumer rights page about faulty mobile phones and staple this to your note about the faults keep two copys of this paperwork, highlight the bit about it should be fixed within a reasonable timescale and that if it comes back unfixed you the consumer are entitled to a replacement handset or your money back under the uk consumer laws

make a note of the serial number of the handset (to make sure its the same one they send back) and the date you sent it away for repair also keep the second copy of the paperwork that you sent with the phone (your note and the highlighted consumer rights)

if the phone comes back from repair and the problems are still there the 1st step would to be to speak to noia customer support and state that the phone has been sent away for repair once and under the consumer rights act you want to arrange a replacement as the faults havent been fixed and according to advice you are well within your rights to expect as much

there will be no need to shout a them as you are now within your rights , if they dont agree take their name and department they are from as youll be complaining about them later due to them trying to stop you from executing your consumer rights

try to get a manger and explain the consumer rights to them (they should know them) read them what it says online

if you get no where on the phone then i would send a letter of complaint to the nokia head office in the uk stating that their company is failing to uphold the consumer rights of a consumer and that you will be taking this further

you then have trading standards and the small claims court

it shouldnt get that far though , is there a nokia shop near you?? if returned with faults still id go to the shop in person and ask for the acting manager and show him the consumer rights page and state that you have had one botched repair and should be entitlled to your money back or a working replacement

you have to play ball though mate , send it off , if it dosent come back fixed then you will have many more rights :-)

report back and let us know how you get on , many buisnesses will try not to follow the consumer rights as its not in their favour if you havent changed the product code you have nothing to loose they are at fault here by selling you a defect product dont forget that

Last edited by buxz777; 24-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 24-08-2009, 05:44 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
I do think it stinks that you have to send a mobile phone back for repair without being offered a loan phone as cover.

Don't know about anybody else, but I rely on the phone for GPS amongst other things and couldn't live without it. But of course the internal GPS needs to be fixed etc on mine. Can I be without the phone for two weeks?

Erm, not really no.

I have no other alternative to do my job.

Old 24-08-2009, 05:49 PM

could allways use a map for 2 weeks mate :-) just out of intrest what is your job and what did you do before sat nav :-)

you cant just expect nokia to bang on your door and go here you are mate a new n97 , broken things have to be sent away for repair its the same with most high end items

it is unfortunate that you have afaulty n97 but you have two choices , send it away for repair or have a faulty gps

surely its better to get it fixed or even get a refund if youre not happy mate

iam intrested what job it is that means you cant use a map for 2 weeks though

i use my sat nav for my job but a map is allways an alternative
Ads

Old 24-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Computer Tech Support. It means Im always off and about down all sorts of dark alleys and towns which I wouldn't have a cat in hells chance of finding without. No I didn't always have GPS, but then, I didn't always have this job.

Old 24-08-2009, 06:32 PM

you could easily use google maps on your pc / laptop for 2 weeks mate

i agree sat nav is great i use it a hell of alot but there comes times when you cant rely on your gadgets and have to go back to the old skool (well untill the gadgets are fixed)

you could easily use google maps via a pc / laptop / basic handset / untill the n97 is fixed mate

itll be worth it in the long run otherwise youll have to find another soloution

i admit its not the best of situations but its probably the only way to deal with it

also if no one actually reports the faulty gps to nokia and just persumes they will fix it then i cant imagine it being top of nokia prioritys

if all the people with gps issues were to kick up a stink and send the handset back then iam sure nokia would be concentraing a bit more then the gps

at least ring the n97 support line and log the fault mate , as a pc tech support you must understand the importance of logging faults so people can keep tack etc

so if anyone has a faulty gps at least log the problem with nokia via customer support otherwise youll be waiting for a fix that isnt going to come :-) if nokia have no complaints then why will they create a fix :-)

Old 24-08-2009, 06:39 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Actually, Nokia have suggested today that I need to send it back to expansys as (with them being the retailer) the intial responsability rests with them...

Need to quote trading standards etc... *sigh* I'm very bored with this now...

Last time I spoke to expansys they said they'd just send it to nokia so i might save a few days trying that...

I can see me having my trusty n95 back for a couple of days...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 24-08-2009, 06:53 PM

cheers dave

yep if you bought it from them nokia are right you should deal with them by law , wether exspanys deal with nokia is up to them

as long as you get a repaired handset within a decent timescale it dosetn matter as far is the law is written

now when you get the handset back is where your biggest rights come into play , as you have followed the channels correctly if it is not fixed according to what ive read on the websites i linked in another thread then you will have th right to a refund minus what the company feels is fair for your time of the ownership of the handset wear and tear etc etc or a replacement

have a read of them links dave thats what it says in black and white mate

so basically you know its going to come back broke dont you :-) if it dosent then fair play and you have a working n97 anyways but usaully itll be reflashed and thats it , which isnt a repair its a service , not what youre asking for is it :-) so they will probably send it back broken with the same fault giving you the grounds to ask for a brand new one or a refund mate

i know its frustrating but it seems once you have followed the procedures youll have alot more rights regarding a replacement handset

Old 24-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buxz777 View Post
you could easily use google maps on your pc / laptop for 2 weeks mate
Er, in the car???? Umm yeah. Sure.

Quote:
i agree sat nav is great i use it a hell of alot but there comes times when you cant rely on your gadgets and have to go back to the old skool (well untill the gadgets are fixed)
Oh yeah, old school is great. If you happen to know where you're going and havent been scheduled for five sites in one day in the most obscure back end of nowhere. Just off the motorway left at the round about take a right at that pub... Fine. Any more than five commands, Im stuffed.

And it's not like the trust Map of Great Britain shows me every little side road in every city. Im not just driving cross city, sometimes, quite a lot of times, Im driving cross country on a whim. So, Laptop and Maps really are not practical.

Quote:
you could easily use google maps via a pc / laptop / basic handset / untill the n97 is fixed mate
I can't get a PC in the car, I don't get a laptop to take, I don't have another handset....

Quote:
itll be worth it in the long run otherwise youll have to find another soloution
Such as buy another N97 and send back the old N97 under warranty and get a refund?

Quote:
i admit its not the best of situations but its probably the only way to deal with it
I can understand it with something like a washing machine that breaks down. But something like a phone where a couple of the things don't work and they don't provide a temporary replacement to those that really really really need it. Stinks.

Quote:
also if no one actually reports the faulty gps to nokia and just persumes they will fix it then i cant imagine it being top of nokia prioritys
Oh they'll get a report, coupled with my phone crash and memory backups that refuse to restore.

Quote:
if all the people with gps issues were to kick up a stink and send the handset back then iam sure nokia would be concentraing a bit more then the gps
Yeah or we could just get laxadasical service like those who tried to order from Nokia and were fobbed off left right and centre. If they can't even be bothered to take orders properly, what chance have we got of anybody actually being bothered to take notice about bugs on the phone.

Quote:
at least ring the n97 support line and log the fault mate , as a pc tech support you must understand the importance of logging faults so people can keep tack etc
I'll even say that I will be willing to leave my phone with a Nokia Care Centre for a couple of days over the weekend at a pinch, but Im not sending it back for two weeks.... Five days at the most.

What's the support line for Nokia? There's been so many floating around.

Old 24-08-2009, 11:33 PM

sjdean mate iam just trying to offer pratical soloutions for your problem , its very easy toi print multi routes from your pc before you leave the office , if not an atlas of britain is very handy thing to have in the car :-) lorry drivers , couriers , milkmen , have gone without for years granted sat nav is the easy option but would no sat nav stop you from working , no , its an inconvinience yes i agree and i also agree that nokias repair procedure is not the best in the world but its the same as say the xbox 360 and many other machines

here is the adresse for nokias head office in the uk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Head of Customer Care

Nokia UK Ltd

Nokia House

Summit Avenue

SOUTHWOOD

Farnborough

Hampshire

GU14 0NG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is the support line number

01480 410697

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i understand your frustration but being negative wont get it fixed mate , start the ball rolling send it for repair if it comes back unfixed then you have more rights to argue your case with etc and can hopefully get a new phone

i doubt youll get your phone back in 2 days i suppose it depends on if it needs new parts and how much time they spend on it of if they have to send it away for further repair

id say a 10-14 day turnaround was fair and any quicker was a bonus to be honest but hey it may be 2 days

keep us updated mate

ps
can you try this for me it may help you out , go outside to clear sky open location app , tap posisition , make sure agps is ticked and network and integregrated , go back one screen and go into gps data , wait for it to find you posistion , go back to posistioning and untick gps , go back into gps data and watch the satelites do they seem more stable to you?? it has helped a few users mate try it , it may help a bit , i can get a lock indoors without agps but its handy for a quick start

Old 25-08-2009, 06:53 AM

Bah.

You keep calling me mate, then you say you've given me practical solutions such as using a PC to print off maps.

In the past that used to work when I was only travelling to one site in one day and it was agreed and accepted and I could take my time getting there and I could plan the journey out....

But you seem not to be listening to me.

An Atlas is great yes, but it doesn't show the detail of towns and cities. I would need probably at least 30 different A-Z's for the journeys and individual cities I travel to. Half the time the journeys I make are adhoc and decided last minute even when Im on the road.

Tell me how practical it is to print off a piece of paper in the car when I don't have a laptop of a PC?

I believe Milkmen are local to the area. Couriers are too mostly local to the area. Lorry drivers I think mostly have set routes.

It's all very well having an Atlas, 30 A-Zs and little bits of paper with instructions, but when you can't remember what they say and you need to pull over to find out where to go next, trying to find somewhere to pull over that isn't a red route or other no stopping area is difficult at the best of times.

I mainly only use a GPS for the last 5% of a journey or so, from the motorway down these industrial alleys and back strees through the back end of nowhere.

Old 25-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
can you try this for me it may help you out , go outside to clear sky open location app , tap posisition , make sure agps is ticked and network and integregrated , go back one screen and go into gps data , wait for it to find you posistion , go back to posistioning and untick gps , go back into gps data and watch the satelites do they seem more stable to you?? it has helped a few users mate try it , it may help a bit , i can get a lock indoors without agps but its handy for a quick start
That didn't work.

Old 25-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Bah.

You keep calling me mate, then you say you've given me practical solutions such as using a PC to print off maps.

In the past that used to work when I was only travelling to one site in one day and it was agreed and accepted and I could take my time getting there and I could plan the journey out....

But you seem not to be listening to me.

An Atlas is great yes, but it doesn't show the detail of towns and cities. I would need probably at least 30 different A-Z's for the journeys and individual cities I travel to. Half the time the journeys I make are adhoc and decided last minute even when Im on the road.

Tell me how practical it is to print off a piece of paper in the car when I don't have a laptop of a PC?

I believe Milkmen are local to the area. Couriers are too mostly local to the area. Lorry drivers I think mostly have set routes.

It's all very well having an Atlas, 30 A-Zs and little bits of paper with instructions, but when you can't remember what they say and you need to pull over to find out where to go next, trying to find somewhere to pull over that isn't a red route or other no stopping area is difficult at the best of times.

I mainly only use a GPS for the last 5% of a journey or so, from the motorway down these industrial alleys and back strees through the back end of nowhere.
lets just agree to disagree , you have an excuse for everything mate , lets face it many people have done your job without a sat nav for years havent they :-) sat navs have made driving lazy thats all it is , convinience. the world ran for a long long time without them didnt it?? if you cant survive without one then i would suggest buying a abckup sat nav unit which can be had for around 50 pounds then youll never have to worry again you could even buy a cheap 9.99 handset so you can use that while you send your broken n97 away for reapir :-)

i really cant believe that you cant get where you want to go without sat nav what has happend to peoples route planning these days , its pretty bad though isnt it , your basically saying i cant do my job witout sat nav , i agree its convinent but cmon it just makes it a bit harder , why cant you print the maps of your routes before you go or use a route planner on the pc before you go?? or google maps via your phone

i have to do call outs at work all the time by someone giving me directions they are blind call outs i dont know where they are and dont know the areas iam going to sometimes farms in the middle of nowhere

ive provided all the help i can and am leaving this thread

good luck with finding your way across the whole vastness of the uk and its crazy wilderness lol and good luck with getting the n97 fixed if you even bother

laters