All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-07-2009, 01:30 PM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
N97 compatible and might be updated to Symbian^2

Check this out, posted by Ernest on the Darla Mack blog:

Quote:
According to the latest post on the Symbian Foundation Blog, the times they are a'changin' as far as S60 is concerned...for good.

The term 'S60' that we have known, loved, and clung so dearly to is about to be taken out to the back of the barn and shot. The S60.com website has been shuttered, the content relocated and the Symbian name is officially set to take over for the Nokia-owned operating system.

Developers have been issued with a new Product Development Kit named Symbian ^2 (the ^ is silent...), incorporating the new Symbian OS technology for smartphones, elements of the old S60 stuff, as well as custom software for use with Sony Ericsson and Japanese NTT DoCoMo devices.

To keep things fresh, two new versions of Symbian will be released annually, with Symbian ^3 going out to devs 'in the Autumn'. This could mean some handsets showing off the shiny new Symbian by early 2010!

Even more interestingly, there are handsets available right now that are compatible with future builds of Symbian including the Nokia N97, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, Samsung i8910 HD and the forthcoming Sony Ericsson Satio.

Does this mean the N97 could be a trojan horse for the new breed of Symbian, one firmware update away from becoming a real smartphone titan? Let's hope so, as S60 was definitely starting to show some grey hairs...great to see Symbian committed to keeping up in the race.

Ernest Doku is Technology Editor of mobile phone comparison site Omio.com. He twitters at @omiocom.
Full link:

http://darlamack.blogs.com/
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97

Old 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i dont care who says "the times are changing". i would bet my life, my family, a million dollars, and my dog all on the fact that this will NEVER happen. nokia is just too far gone. remember nokia would have to release these updates to the devices, not symbian. so even if symbian makes a backwards compatible version, good luck getting nokia to release it. it will never never never happen.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM

dorisall is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
i dont care who says "the times are changing". i would bet my life, my family, a million dollars, and my dog all on the fact that this will NEVER happen. nokia is just too far gone. remember nokia would have to release these updates to the devices, not symbian. so even if symbian makes a backwards compatible version, good luck getting nokia to release it. it will never never never happen.
Nokia pretty much owns all of symbian now. I totally see what you are saying though but you gotta remember that hardware wise the N97 is inferior to many other devices out there:

Resistive screen, relatively low MP camera, slow processor, ......etc

So even if Nokia does provide such an upgrade which I think they should after dumping a lot of money on reworking the whole Symbian thing, they still would not lose the market for lets say the N98 which should have upgraded hardware.

This is just speculation but I think that Nokia is onto something BIG and the N97 is nothing more than a placeholder for the moment until they unleash whatever beast they are working on. I mean we gotta remember that Nokia is always the company that starts the new features: 7650 started the whole multimedia thing with cameras and UIs in general, N95 started the GPS fad but I will say Apple beat Nokia with the whole touch thing but then again Nokia tried that years ago but with no success, Apple had the whole apple craze on their side.
Ericsson T19 -> Nokia 3330 -> Nokia 8310 -> Nokia 6310 -> Samsung T100 -> Nokia 7210 -> Nokia 7650 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 6600 -> imate pocket pc -> Sony Ericsson P900 -> Nokia 9290 -> Nokia 9500 -> Motorola V600 -> Motorola Razr -> Nokia 7280 -> Nokia N90 -> Nokia N93 -> Blackberry Pearl -> Nokia 95(NOW) -> Nokia E90 -> Motorola Razr2 V8 -> Nokia N71 -> Imate PDA2K (Still have it) ->Nokia N95 8GB -> Nokia E71-1 -> Samsung T919 -> Nokia N96 -> T-Mobile G1 + Nokia N96 -> Nokia N97
Ads

Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Care to backup why you think the N97 has a poor camera just because its 5MP?

8mp is about the best your going to get into a phone but until they improve the sensors and lenses its completely pointless. You simply cant get the light onto the sensor while retaining the thickness that people expect. Their are "low mega pixel" 3-5 megapixel cameras out their that totally piss over anything in the smartphone market however you wouldent want one on your phone. 8MP will take over slowly in the next Nokia Iterations but their isnt rearlly much improvement that isn't software.

Resistive Screen? So are the vast majority of the phones on the market. I dont see nokia planning on dumping it to quickly. So it cant do Multi Touch? So what! Multi touch is only good for virtual keyboards and ui manipulation something which Nokia have to get right first. Resistive screens are arguably better for smaller screens because they allow generic stylus implements to be used. Resistive screens CAN actually can do multi touch it's just the tech involved isn't that widespread.

The processor speed is fine. If they had put a faster processor in it would have made the N97 slightly more snappy but at the cost of battery power. Their biggest mistake was dumping the 3d Acceleration chip and not making a UI to take advantage of it. Computing is being pushed into multi-core and offloading graphics to a GPU.

The N97 has its problems but these are more typical Nokia let downs.

1) The Ram - Self Explanatory
2) The Storage Space ( as in main memory not mass memory ) this is typically where messages, themes and apps are installed because it allows them to function in mass storage mode. Why nokia made it so pitifally low I wont ever know. Im down to 28meg already.

3) The Stylus - Who seriously has this thing dangling from a bit of string? No holder and what the hell were they thinking with the size of it.

4) The Charging Port and 3.5mm jack WHY THE HELL are these on the top so I cant dock the phone in the car or desk without having to plug in lots of trailing cables.

A new operating system might actually improve some of the limitations. Nokia need to completely rethink their OS for touch screen but I will agree with the fact I doubt we will ever see it on the N97.

Simple things like push and hold context menus.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
I believe the storage issue is to do with the N97's ability to store all your settings and info even when you do a firmware upgrade. In the past, you will have to reload all your user applications and data back on whenever you upgrade, but now, it must store it in a separate section that is not touched when flashing a ROM upgrade.

As for the Stylus.. I have not had any use for it - the whole operating system is pretty good to use even without it (and yes, even for handwriting - for CHINESE characters). for those small links in the browser - double tap to enlarge and then click. (I do have big fingers BTW). Unlike Windows mobile that needs a stylus for everything!!

The RAM isnt as bad as what people make it out to be - just make sure you dont load up a billion widgets that is constantly online. My E71 ended up with 61MB after boot and the N97 has about 51MB after boot (thats with Mail4Exchange, World Mate etc etc).. but considering the capability differences, 10MB is pretty good for "extras"..