All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Samsung i8910 HD update (JB1) finally out

Samsung's long (oh so long) awaited i8910 HD firmware update has just been released. Firmware JB1 is now online via PC Studio 7, as the screenshot below shows. Improvements include kinetic scrolling in all parts of the interface, major improvements to Web, faster operation and many bug fixes. I'm installing right now and will report back below during the morning. Comments welcome if you notice something else new and juicy!

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
JB1 is the first February firmware release, although it is now 2 weeks old and has been available via 3rd party "custom" firmwares, such as HyperX's HX2.02 firmware: http://www.hyperx.allroms.net/?page_id=335 (HyperX's firmware gives 80MB free on C

Basic changelog for this firmware:

* Kinetic scrolling throughout OS, except for when viewing messages. (there is kinetic scrolling in main menu, but its implemented "oddly")
* Podcasting application fixed
* New build of Web (internet browser). The browser automatically loads full screen now
* Changed and improved camera and video recorder settings, including some audio codec tweaks
* Default connectivity options changed (improves battery life without affecting how the phone actually "works")
* 5.1 surround audio available in Music Player without having headphones plugged in

Last edited by slitchfield; 11-02-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: remove minor inaccuracy

Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
General consensus (from people who tried it yesterday) is that:

1) (and the biggest sticking point) is that free space on C after flashing is only 16.9mb!). This from several people who have installed and then *#7370# before using.

2) Video is still the same. IE, Drops frames at 720p. Camera quality appears to be the same.

3) Kinetic scrolling is there (in some screens), but considered to be slow, especially in the gallery and music player.

I think that this is a "if it ain't broke..." firmware. If your current firmware is working fine for you, skip this one. There appears to be nothing notable to go through the hassle of updating a non-UDP device.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Those people who have an i8910 (and are not already using this firmware in one version or another), I would recommend you use a custom version of the firmware, which includes many tweaks and fixes *above* those that Samsung delivered.

Go to http://www.hyperx-i8910.com and download the HX 2.0.2 firmware. It is based upon Samsung's JB1 firmware, but with additional tweaks which make it a far better phone. And it comes with over 80MB free on C: as default.

Things which are *wrong* with the JB1 firmware:

* Kinetic scrolling through large lists (large mailboxes and large music collections) is slow and choppy
* Gallery thumbnails have to be created / loaded the first time gallery is used. This can be slow if you have lots and lots of pictures / videos
* The basic Messaging application bugs still exist. (Nokia / Symbian Foundation need to re-write the application)
* This firmware (and ALL the Samsung kinetic firmware builds (there have been many)) break some of the functionality in Route 66, leading to application crashes if a particular part of the interface is pressed

Last edited by stuclark; 11-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Incidentally, even using the stock Samsung firmware, the lack of free space on C: is no where near as much of a show stopper as it proved on the N97. No Samsung firmware has made decent use of the space / availability of the C: drive, and I don't know of any user, in any i8910 community, who has actually suffered a problem.
Ads

Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Sorry, but that's naive. Web still seems to use disk C: for its cache. So browse a few heavy sites and that's another 10MB gone. Which leaves you with only 7MB free for ALL your PIM data and ALL operating system temp files.

Simply madness.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Stu, that's an interesting statement you made. Can you elaborate more please?
We all know that use of applications like web, opera, etc. consumes space on C for cache and certain applications (when installed) force themselves on the C drive (like quickoffice). Plus I have seen that even if you install all apps on memory card / mass memory, certain files as part of installation are still on C and over a period of time, this space keeps reducing. Plus, we have heard people all around the web that it is possible to install Nokia apps on the i8910. Can you imagine what would happen if you decide to install the latest version of Ovi maps?

Keeping this in mind, 17 MB seems pretty trivial. Wonder what went wrong? I guess that kinetic scrolling has come at a huge price.

Last edited by malerocks; 11-02-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

Stuclark's argument is stupid, I'll admit. But Steve's is as well. Firstly, any 'power user' with an i8910 would be using the Russian variation of this firmware with a greater amount of free memory, or indeed their own 'cooked' firmware. Steve obviously isn't an i8910 power user.

Also, it takes literally one minute to move the browser cache from C to E.

Regardless, the amount of space that Samsung Italia have left is just very, very sad.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Also, it would be very interesting to learn how the hacked versions manage to have 80 MB free on C drive? Logically that would mean that some functionality is been sacrificed? If nothing has been, Samsung needs to learn from these guys, grab their hands on a hacked version and remove whatever bloat they have added...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stuclark's argument is stupid, I'll admit. But Steve's is as well. Firstly, any 'power user' with an i8910 would be using the Russian variation of this firmware with a greater amount of free memory, or indeed their own 'cooked' firmware.
Experienced power users would, but what about people who are new to this and are trying their hand out at using a smartphone, installing apps and the sorts. All of us (even the people that are power users now) have gone through this phase where we are experimenting with something new.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Unregistered

"Firstly, any 'power user' with an i8910 would be using the Russian variation of this firmware with a greater amount of free memory, or indeed their own 'cooked' firmware. Steve obviously isn't an i8910 power user."

I've never heard a power-user described only as someone who uses obscure firmware versions or cooks his own. If this is what it takes to make the i8910 a useable phone then Samsung really are missing the point. At least Nokia, for all their flaws, and there are many of them at the moment, release new FW fairly frequently without all this messing around...

Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Perhaps a bit of compartmentalisation is needed here. Remember 90%+ of users will never stray anywhere near 'rom kitchen' sites such as XDA for Winmo and Android or Hyper-X for i8910. They don't want to run the risk of installing non-standard firmware and the associated warranty (and anxiety) issues related to that. They don't want to have to read up on how to change file paths and other changes to fix what Samsung hasn't.

They just to be able to plug in their device and have a nice safe, approved firmware update be run by the approved PC suite. And have it work, and work well, once its installed.

And the majority of normob's won't even do that. How many people do you know that have NEVER updated their firmware? I have a co-worker who's 5800 is still on 21.0.25. Its killing me not to reach over, grab his phone, plug it into Ovi Suite and 'fix it'. But he's happy. It works for him.

Steve, sort of understandably, has to stick to the route of the normal user and how they think. So tweaked Russian (Chinese, Italian, etc) firmware is off the radar, at least here (AAS). I don't think either Steve or Stu are naive or stupid, they are just coming at this from different lines. Stu on the power user/tweaker, Steve from the normob.

Next is the problem of the OEM firmware. Relatively speaking, its crap. For us. Who's to say a normob would experience or notice 1/2 the issues we seem to find? We do and want things that most people wouldn't even think of, let alone use on a regular basis.

That said, Samsung's implementation of the Symbian 5th edition platform seems to be... poorly worked. And its just not getting better. We've (i8910 owners, followers) have been waiting weeks for a better version. Anaphase's work on this made us think Samsung had heard our issues. Looking at the feedback on the most recent firmwares, that's not happening.

So, as i see it

a) Samsung needs to try again, and try harder. The issues found on the current firmware just shouldn't exist any more. 17mb left on C is NOT acceptable. They know it can be better, they should make it happen.

b) if you can't wait for Samsung to get it right (and employ Hyper-x full time...;-), then try out the custom roms. If you don't like them you can always go back to OEM (an advantage over Nokia's, IMO). Just accept that going down this road is at your own risk.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Well said, a good summary!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
I have a co-worker who's 5800 is still on 21.0.25. Its killing me not to reach over, grab his phone, plug it into Ovi Suite and 'fix it'.
Hehe... Well said... I can so relate to this...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

That was a close one! Nearly bought an i8910 at the weekend, feel very pleased that I didn't having read this discussion.