All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Introducing S60v3, the unofficial N-Gage games

According to Nokia, the only N-Gage games available for your N-Gage-compatible phone are listed in their showroom. That's not quite the whole truth though. We've put together a guide to S60v3 games, which are technically identical to N-Gage games and can look and sound just as good. We tell you where to find them, how to install them, and run through which games to get. They won't get you N-Gage points, but they will provide you with some quality gameplay while we're waiting for Nokia to get more official titles released.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 09-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Tetlee, here's that S60 games article I was talking about!

If you're nervous about buying S60 games, try downloading some of the freeware ones first so you get the hang of the installation process.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 09-06-2008, 05:49 PM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
I think you left out a very good commercial game - Hidden Expedition Titanic (published by Astraware). It is an adventure game directly ported from the casual PC game of same name, and features good graphics and solid gameplay.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator

sandy_1988, you're right, and I have heard good things about that game too. In fact I did a newspost about it on AAN advertising its existence after the developers got in touch with us to tell us about it:

http://www.allaboutngage.com/news/it...tanic_adve.php

However, I wanted to wait for the AAS review before declaring it a "recommended" game, but I'm not doing the review so I'm not sure when it will appear.

What I thought could happen is this article could be updated from time to time, with a new newspost published on the front page of the site when the updates happen.

(And fairly soon it may also turn into an S60v5 game list, if the rumours are anything to go by...)

Last edited by krisse; 09-06-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:21 PM

Tetlee is on a distinguished road
Thanks alot for this krisse, off to read now with interest, hopefully there will be at least a couple or more to keep me going until NGage is officially released for the N93.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 PM

eletrix is on a distinguished road
krisse............very goog and expecially very useful post

but you have forgottens some games (maybe some voluntarily)
this are the ultimate S60v3 games

-Astraware Boardgames
-Frozen Bubble (exellent)
-KRally (best racing game)
-MicroPool (funny)
-SkyForce
-SkyForce Reloaded (awsome)
-Sensible Sudoku (really mobile-like)
-SuperMiners (very particular game)
-Tilelander (very particular game)
-Titanic:Hidden Expedition
-Virtual Pool Mobile
-Worms World Party
-Bobby Carrot 5 (MUST-have java game)

and not really mobile games like (but always good games)

-7days
-Lament Island
-Revival
-Robo

bad mobile games
-Furklies (bleah)
-Ball Rush Acqua (bad- done)
-Blazar (too simple)

can't speak for N.Gage games
(mine nokia 6120c is too fashion and hot for ruining it with games)

P.S. S60v5=Touchscreen symbian ?

CiaO

Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
but you have forgottens some games (maybe some voluntarily)
Hey, I did get most of the games on your list in the article! :-)

Flurkies is an EXCELLENT game though, it's really great fun. I know it looks quite simple but the puzzles are very well designed.

Quote:
(mine nokia 6120c is too fashion and hot for ruining it with games)
I sincerely hope Nokia get N-Gage onto the 6120, it should be good enough to run the games. Certainly if they release it for the N73 it should be on the 6120 too.

Quote:
P.S. S60v5=Touchscreen symbian ?
Shh... it's just a rumour... ;-)

Actually it's not just a rumour, Nokia has publicly said they will support gaming on touchscreen phones, and their CEO said at a press conference that there will be touchscreen S60 phones in 2008. So draw your own conclusions folks...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Tetlee is on a distinguished road
Ok, read all of those reviews now, very helpful

Have downloaded the freebies(Fr. Bubble & S-Tris, already had Snakes) Think I'll purchase K-Rally(shame there doesn't seem to be a demo) & probably Micro Pool for now, maybe a couple others as I still have some demos to try.

Hope I can install the games fine if I download them to my PC(which I prefer), the problem is Nokia PC Suite doesn't seem to be Vista compatible as I can't get it to recognise my phone using the N93 data cable(have to transfer files without PC Suite treating the phone as a mass storage device).

BTW, great that you supplied links to purchase(will get them from AAS where possible), was going to ask if you had any recommendations for places to buy these digital games, the demos for most of them have proved very handy(have yet to try any of the adventure one's, maybe later when I have a bit more spare time to get more absorbed ).

Oh, are there any S60 turn based tactics games as opposed to strategy(something along the lines of Tactics Ogre/ Fire Emblem etc.), not keen on resource management etc.?

Anyway, cheers again, great article!

Last edited by Tetlee; 09-06-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I'm really glad you enjoyed it Tetlee! Hopefully more N-Gagers will try out S60, it's an interesting alternative to official N-Gage stuff.

Ah, yeah, Vista seems to have been causing headaches for Nokia. They temporarily withdrew Vista compatibility for the firmware updater a while ago, there was some unexpected bug in the latest version of Vista or something.

Well done for mentioning the alternative method of transferring the files to a card, I'd totally forgotten about that! As you probably know, you should be able to install the files by clicking on them in the phone's file manager.

Handango and Clickgamer are the two best places for S60 games, some titles are only available in one or the other so it's probably best to use both. Try to avoid the Java games being sold as S60v3 though, they're usually pretty awful.

Quote:
Oh, are there any S60 turn based tactics games as opposed to strategy(something along the lines of Tactics Ogre/ Fire Emblem etc.), not keen on resource management etc.?
Hmm... I'm not sure to be honest. The old gen N-Gage seemed to have loads of them (PTG 1 and 2, High Seize, Rifts etc) but modern S60 seems to be devoid of them.

There's due to be a few turn-based strategies on the new N-Gage too with Worms and Reset Generation, but that doesn't help you right now.

Your best bet might be to install an emulator and run a game from a classic computer or console, though some of them are a bit tricky to set up. You can find out more about S60v3 emus here:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...on_devices.php

Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM

sandy_1988 is on a distinguished road
How could I forget about Tilelander? Shame on me!