All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
HX4 and the Samsung i8910 HD

You'll have been following my adventures keeping the Samsung i8910 HD on the crest of an unofficial hardware wave by installing each of the 'HX' firmwares? Just over a week ago saw the release of what is by far the most adventurous HX release yet. I try to summarise (and comment on) the changelog below, for any other owners of what (for the next couple of months, at least) is still the most powerful Symbian phone in the world bar none.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
I've hardly used Java on HX4, but when I have I've never needed to use it with the C2Z patch enabled.

Infact, I usually leave that patch disabled as it causes other random compatibility issues (such as Application Manager not launching)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Stuart, HyperX has confirmed the missing file himself, he missed it by accident from the final English language build.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Steve, Yeah, I didn't mean the missing file, I meant the need to use C2Z - I didn't notice that being a requirement even with the patch file installed.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

After waiting and waiting for Samsung to fix the issues with the i8910 and update the firmware, I gave up and followed all the instructions to install Hyper X's HX3. Its been brilliant. No regrets whatsoever and I recommend it to anyone. Its finally made my i8910 usable. Have I had some little niggly issues? Yeah, sure, but its nothing compred to actually having a phone that runs to its potential.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Hx4

Andy you rocks.
Great work man now every time i go on your site i always click on google ads that gives me internal satisfaction that I am able to contribute even though its pretty small.
I am Rahul from Delhi(India), I love to customize my phone with lots of apps and you have just make this master piece into a killer master piece.
I was using Sony Ericsson P1i until i lost it and I used to love it like wow.
But after buying this phone i fell madly into love with this and the HX3 made it such a master piece that it just took away the breath out of me.

I am greatly thankful that you have extremely prompt support at your website.
I am veryyyyyyyyy much happy with the awesome work done by you.
Thanks Andy , heartly thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Unregistered

does nokia email client works with HX4 ? thanks

Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Jon Loldrup

Me: Symbian -> Android

My last three phones have been Symbian S60:

* Nokia 6600
* Nokia Sport
* Nokia 6220 Classic

Now I feel it's time to change horse. Today I ordered a HTC Desire. Android has so much more niceity to offer. I can't help feel a bit nostalgic, but when it comes to technology, nostalgic emotions shouldn't have anything to say over more reasonable arguments, so here I go. Hum along well!

kind regards
Jon Loldrup

Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 PM

capitaine is on a distinguished road
cant see any reason to waste hours upgrading to HX4 from HX3 - Ovi Maps about the only reason

Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 AM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
So you mean Ovi Maps works for Free on Samsung i8910 but it I'll have to pay to get it working on my N82. wow.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Unregistered

Java works for me

I'm usinh HX V4 nearly since it came out and I've no problems installing java apps. I just installed the java from goodies folder and after that I installed several java apps without any problems. I didn't even mention the missing file until reading this article...

Great firmware at all - best HyperX firmware until now!

Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

Talking HX the best

HX made us proud again to own this magnificent omnia hd. thanks and keep it up. You are the best.
Ads

Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
michellebg

been running V4 for most of the week and it is really nice. Love having Ovi store and Maps built in, it's great. Many thanks to Andy for his hard work.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Apps Installation

I am a very happy user of the HX4, except for the "Java-Problem". I tried the workaround with the xml file and the C2Z-patch. However, I cannot install any Java-Apps from the Ovi-Store. I have the HX-Version installed, but certain Apps give an installation-error right after the download.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this, or should I just wait until Andy has come up with a solution, as mentioned on his homepage?

Thanks in advance for any clue ,

Tobias