All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
New Nokia 6260 folding Series 60

Nokia have announced the 6260 as a part of their new Series 60 lineup. The phone is a flip design, a first for a Series 60 from Nokia, and includes a VGA camera, support for VPN networks and MMC card support. The flip design has several modes one of which is for the also announced Nokia wireless keyboard.

Technical Specifications

Operating System:
Symbian 7.0s
Series 60 Developer Platform 2.0

Java Technology:
CLDC 1.0
MIDP 2.0
Nokia UI API
Wireless Messaging API (JSR-120)
Mobile Media API (JSR-135)
Bluetooth API (JSR-82)

Browser:
WAP 2.0
XHTML over TCP/IP
HTML over TCP/IP

Messaging:
SMS
MMS+SMIL

Digital Rights Management:
OMA DRM forward lock
Delivery Method:
WAP Downloand
MMS

Video Support:
3GPP formats (H.263)
MPEG-4
RealVideo

Sound Formats:
MIDI tones (poly 48)
AMR (NB-AMR)
True Tones (WB-AMR)
WAV
MP3
AAC
RealAudio

Band Functionality:
GSM
Operating Frequency:
850 / 1800 / 1900 or 900 / 1800 / 1900

Regional Availability:
Europe
Africa
Asia-Pacific
Americas

Screen Display:
Color Depth: 65536 Colors (16 bit)
Resolution: 176 x 208

Physical Measurements:
Dimensions: 102 x 49 x 23 mm
Weight: 125 g

Memory:
Heap size: 28 MB
Shared Memory for Storage: 4.6 MB

Keypad Descriptions:
Grid key mat
2 labeled soft keys
5-way scrolling

Local Connectivity:
Bluetooth
Infrared
USB

Network Data Support:
CSD
HSCSD
GPRS

Extra Features:
VGA camera
POP3/IMAP4 email
Word/PowerPoint viewer
Real player
Handsfree speaker
Wallet
SyncML
IM
Stereo FM radio
MMC

More soon.

Nokia Press Release:

Multifaceted Nokia 6260 smartphone gives new angle to mobility
June 14, 2004

Camera and video recorder, web browser, email and VPN in a flexible fold design

Helsinki, Finland: At the annual Nokia Connection conference, held simultaneously in Singapore and Helsinki, Nokia today introduced a smart phone with a twist. and a fold. The Nokia 6260 smartphone offers mobile professionals the latest mobile technology features and applications, including push to talk, email, document and presentation viewer, Bluetooth connectivity and a VGA camera, in an innovative fold design. The tri-band Nokia 6260 smartphone is based on the Series 60 Platform and Symbian OS. It is expected to start shipping in Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific and Americas in third quarter, 2004. The estimated, unsubsidized sales price of the Nokia 6260 is expected to begin at €400.

"The advanced features and high performance design of the Nokia 6260 smartphone gives business people a distinct advantage," explained Kai Öistämö, Senior Vice President, Mobile Phones at Nokia. "The Nokia 6260 smartphone offers business users 'efficiency-on-the-go'. With its presentation and document viewer, push to talk functionality, still and video camera, and data synchronization, you can keep in touch with the office and the family while on the move. Additionally, the Nokia 6260 also features a mobile VPN client, enabling business users to access their compatible corporate email and network."

The Nokia 6260 smartphone is flexible in function and in design. Open it to talk, fold it with the display facing out to browse the web or access applications, twist the display to activate the camera, or close it flat to slip into your briefcase. As a work companion, the Nokia 6260 boosts efficiency by enabling people to initiate a quick discussion with colleagues and even groups, at the touch of a single button using push to talk.* The presence-enhanced contacts service also alerts personal and professional contacts on your availability, potentially saving time for both parties. Email is at hand, and the presentation and document viewer allows users to view compatible attachments directly on their phone. Additionally, data synchronization enables local or remote updates of calendar, contacts and to-do lists.

In browse mode, mobile XHTML and HTML browsers provide access to mobile Internet pages, while enabling quick access to the menu, applications, and phone functions. The Nokia 6260 features swappable multimedia memory cards on which email attachments, images, video clips and texts can be saved.

The Nokia 6260 smartphone also acts as the backdrop for the Nokia Wireless Keyboard, which was introduced today. Using Bluetooth technology, the wireless keyboard makes personal organization and data entry quick and convenient. Like the Nokia 6260 smartphone, the Nokia Wireless Keyboard features a folding design for quick use and storage.

Old 14-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Job

Hmmm VGA
So what's new here?
It flips, that's it.

Old 14-06-2004, 10:44 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I posted this about 2 hours before you did already... http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=24392

And you're even forgetting the other new Series 60 device, the 6630

Last edited by Delta737; 14-06-2004 at 10:49 AM.

Old 14-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
This is a news post so it goes on the front page of the site. Hence the repetition. The other phone is covered here: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news.php?id=24400

Old 14-06-2004, 12:31 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Ah, ok I'm sorry!

Old 14-06-2004, 02:31 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job
Hmmm VGA
So what's new here?
It flips, that's it.
Also at least these: EDGE, HSCSD, stereo sound, FM radio, built-in Word/PowerPoint viewers, infrared, hot-swap RS-MMC.

Old 14-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Also at least these: EDGE, HSCSD, stereo sound, FM radio, built-in Word/PowerPoint viewers, infrared, hot-swap RS-MMC.
Hmm, are you sure you aren't confusing this one with the 6630..? I don't see any mention of RSMMC, a MP3/AAC player and EDGE in the specs posted here...

I like this phone, but I sure hope they've dropped the reduced size MMC cr@p in this one.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 14-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Well, I just read up on the specs on Nokia.com, and it does mention a MP3 player (which should mean stereo sound output), but no mention of EDGE, and RS-MMC (thank god!).

A few disappointing things there though; only GPRS class 6 and a low capacity battery - BL-4C, 760 mAh Li-Ion (Talk time: Up to 2-4 hours, Standby time: Up to 4-6 days). But a nice one as well; "Display rotates to fit screen orientation".

Nokia 6260 Phone Features.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 14-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Job

As I said nuthin new.
Not exactly a looker either.

3G ,yup..but bit early for that , by the time a good 3g network is here, the phone will be out of date.

Old 14-06-2004, 05:35 PM
Job

Whoops my turn to confuse, no 3G

Word -powerpoint????????

Who the fruck is going to view one of those hideous bloatware formats on a phone?

FFS it takes my pentium PC long enough to display those utter crap Powerpoint files.

Old 14-06-2004, 09:56 PM

Manowar is on a distinguished road
Please excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what is "mobile email VPN". Does it mean that is not the same that 7650 or 6600 email? Can I use my pop3/smtp email accounts with this phone like in my 6600? I dont see the pop3 feature on the Nokia web page.
Thanks.

Last edited by Manowar; 14-06-2004 at 09:59 PM.

Old 15-06-2004, 02:12 AM

badger is on a distinguished road
There will be no problems using POP3 e-mail accounts with this phone.

The broswer of the new phones will be an opera broswer and Quickword and Quickpoint? for the "viewers".

What has happened to the BL-6C battery which we have seen with the N-Gage QD?

Last edited by badger; 15-06-2004 at 02:15 AM.

Old 15-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Its simply, Beautiful!!

My next Series 60 phone for sure.....screw the 7610!!

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Old 15-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin Anwarunya
Its simply, Beautiful!!

My next Series 60 phone for sure.....screw the 7610!!
I like it too,especially as combo with the BT keyboard but i'm still aiming for the 9500.I hope it gets released this year.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 16-06-2004, 07:03 PM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
I like it too,especially as combo with the BT keyboard but i'm still aiming for the 9500.I hope it gets released this year.
I'm not really a communicator fan, its cool and all but its just too big for a modern mobile-phone, even for the new form factor of the 9500. Its a practical size but i'd rather just buy the Sony Vaio TR1MP with a nokia or vodafone gsm card.

|\__/|
( ^_^)