All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAS Insight 129 - N8 pre-order, Vodafone Clicks, Questions

In All About Symbian Insight 129, we start with a number of short items: Angry Birds as a favourite game, Qt on Samsung and Sony Ericsson, Vodafone Mobile Clicks competition. In the second half of the podcast we respond to number of listener questions, from a discussion of how quality impacts on user experience, to how how Nokia should market the N8 and the possibility of an Android Nokia device. You can listen to AAS Insight 129 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Unregistered

Nokia

Nokia have now got to learn from the N8,do not let knowone get hold of the Prototpye or know about production a new mobile,thats why people know are really getting annoyed waiting for the N8 to be relesased,as April to September or October along time for Nokia to get the N8 released,if Nokia could have kept Quite about the N8 there would not be loads of pressure on themselves,o.k they are worried about the N97 downfall an do not want the N8 be a failure an put them back on track,People like the to show off there mobiles like Steve says an the N97 would attract more people to look at the mobile but the N900 an more stable phone but to Bulky for alot of people so loads would look away instead of wanting to try it out,thats the only downside of mobiles being to Bulky,Nokia to Advertise the N8 ought to get a Popular Music Band to use the N8 on the Video,someone like Take That an Robbie Williams getting back together, get them to Show off the N8 on the Opening New Single Video an it might get the N8 a really good show off
Ads

Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
There is currently a number of qt dependencies which wont install on SE phones

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Do any of you know if future SE firmware updates will come with QT as part of the ROM?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM

PaulVise is on a distinguished road
This start to be ridiculous, a year I used N5800 to download your podcasts and almost everytime there was download problems. Now I have used couple of months HTC Desire and for example this podcast did get downloaded fully but all I can hear is Ewan say HELLO and podcast ends, geez.

You are really trying to get rid of me of symbian world

I have reported about this issue already like 6 or 12 months ago in comment section.

Your podcasts did get downloaded OK for the first couple months back in 2009 spring. Did you have some changes in the summer or something?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM
an_analyst

Half right...

As one of those analysts who derates Nokia because it can't compete in the US, I'll say you are half right about what my opinion would be were Nokia to build Android devices. We (my team) would say that Nokia has finally stepped up and done the fiscally responsible thing. It isn't that we want Nokia to throw out its strategy, it just needs to learn to play the market's game, not try to define its own.

Where you are wrong is how ROW analysts would react. I'm based in the UK and I have to agree with some of my competitors based in Germany and France that have already signaled roughly the same concepts; as long as Nokia doesn't abandon its current customer base and begins to build a bridge for both traditional and next-gen device users to the same set of services, they'll be able to eke out a recovery. All of the usual arguments about getting a handle on their development processes and quality still apply, of course, but the addition of an Android device would be interpreted as a positive sign, not a negative one.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
I think that Nokia selling Android devices would be an extremely bad idea, whatever the short-term benefits. People are already slightly confused by Nokia's strategy and where Symbian fits into it; adding a 3rd OS to the mix (or a 4th if you include S40) would not do Nokia any favours in the long term...

Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
It's still not clear how HTC and especially Samsung who have multi carrier relationships to manage across a broad portfolio of devices who seem to release very comparable numbers of devices to Nokia (well more really as Nokia haven't released anything new for months), manage to get their announced products to market significantly faster than Nokia. This isn't isolated to the N8 after all the N97 took an age to get to market in which time it had had it's legs cut off by the iPhone 3GS and was obsolete, similarly the 5800?Tube project was much delayed. The only company that has had similar delays or gaps between announcement and actually product delivery is SE and look what happened to their market share. It really does need addressing, yes In accept there are protos out there and it's difficult for Nokia to manage however they can speed release cycle and at least match comparable manufacturers.

Fortunately the N8 is more than just a single product it's the start of a platform etc however it's several months delay has resulted in a dissipation of anticipation and a drift of likely purchasers into other comparable devices actually available at similar prices like the GalaxyS, Desire (and iPhone to some extent) meaning Nokia are going to have to drop release price below those devices as N8 doesn't really compete in same class, what happens next if the N8 doesn't shift?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Rafe, can you point me at others that call Quicktime "Q T"? I've never heard anyone, not even the Apple users in my building call it anything other than "Quicktime" or even "Apple Quicktime". I'm sure that the "Qute" name is just something "cute" someone decided they should use, and as I understand it, rather like that most French IT staff don't really call email "courriel" as their government would like them to, real Qt developers call it "Q T"

Last edited by UKJeeper; 05-08-2010 at 11:42 PM.