All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
N91 - Ask Any Questions and I'll (try) to answer

I've been preparing to write an N91 real world article (I'm still going to). One of the thing I wanted to do was offer to answer any question people might have at the tail end of the review. However there's no reason I can't include some of these in the article itself. I'm also limited time wise... so if you have any N91 questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Old 18-04-2006, 09:19 PM

Christian_1 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
Does the N91 feature a lineinput so you can connect it to your home stereo another audio source and record it into the phone?
Havent found that in the manual.
Many thanks!

Old 18-04-2006, 09:38 PM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
how similar is the keyguard to the 7110's?

does the weight feel centred in your hand?

can you hear the 4gb hdd when using memory intensive applications

Old 19-04-2006, 08:01 AM

jazzy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rafe
How's the sound quality of N91 from loudspeaker (listening mp3 on loudspeaker) Is it like 6680,n70,n90 I've owned both &not impressed with it :( P910 sound quality rocks or it is like p910 ?

Old 19-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Christian - no the N91 does not have line input. You're limited to voice memo type recording which clearly isn't good enough for music. The only output on the device are a standard audio jack (with an accompanpying slot which is used by the remote), a mini USB slot (Sync), and the power cable slot.

I asuupose in theory some one might be able to do something akin to an iPod accessory.

mob453
The N91 is about 10 g os so lighter, but because it is smaller I would say it feels heavier. I've mixed feelings about this, yes weight might be an issue for some. I can't say I noticed it much, and it is very pleasing to hold in the hand. I would say depending on how you hold it it might be marginally top heavy (although I do tend to hold evice low down). The only problem I had with one handed usage as that the application key is on the top right side of the device (why?)

I've never heard the hard disk.

Jazzy1

I think the quality from the loudspeaker is excellent. I would say its probably a bit better than the P910. Subjectively I'd say it is similar to the P990 (not really fair as I can't compare them directly).

It certainly beats the rather tinny N70 and N90. Its still not brilliant, but goof enough. The speaker is on the side of the device which means it is good even when lieing flat on the table (turning the speaker towards you gets the best results).

Old 20-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Hadiq is on a distinguished road
hey I was wondering whether there was any confirmation on UPnP support on the N91...according to mobile-review and wordontheblog they have confirmed in the affirmative. Also I was wondering what your opinion is on the display. Thanks

Old 20-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Founder / Chief

There was no UPnP in the one I had and it was the most recent firmware (as far as I know). It is also missing from the manual (which you can download from the Nokia site) so I suspect there's no UPnP.

There was UPnP support mentioned in a draft manual earlier.

Old 21-04-2006, 12:58 AM

well thats a shame...and the display? what did you think? good enough to watch videos comfortablly?

Old 21-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Founder / Chief

The display is very nice, but the resolution is the old standard - 176 x 208, which means it can feel a bit cramped at times (especially with the new browser). S60 3rd Edition looks better on the higher resolution screens. But for video you should be good, the screen is much like the N70.

Old 24-04-2006, 12:30 AM

apcaw is on a distinguished road
Smile Incoming calls

Hi, Rafe.

I just bought a n91 last weekend here in the Philippines. Just one quick question. Whenever I get incoming calls, the ringing tone (which I set) sounded different from the actual/ raw file. Meaning, I can here a voice of a guy talking while the phone is ringing. Its kindda weird. Did you encounter this while testing te unit?

Would appreciatte the help. It's quite annoying, actually. Thanks.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:18 AM

hey Rafe, I got two quick questions for you. Firstly, I was wondering exactly what the size of the phone is. By this I mean were you comfortable in holding it against your head and talking? If it would help maybe you could compare it to some other phones. I was also wondering what your overall impression was regarding the implementation of wifi into a phone? Is it really that beneficial?

Old 24-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Founder / Chief

apacw - didn't come across that problem - sounds a bit wierd and perhaps an operator issue?

Hadiq - I'll be mentioning this in the write up in more detail, but... I think the phone is a bit oversized as a phone. Its comfortable in the hand, but for long conversations its not as good as smaller phones (not really suprising given the extra weight). Compared to say the N70 it feels quite big, and I say purely for use as a phone the N70 would win out.

That said the N91 does have a reassuringly solid feel to it.

WiFi - really depends on how much access you have to wifi and how much you use data on the phone. Personally I found it a real boon. Wifi works like any other access point. For those with high GPRS costs its really great. The best thing is than when you are roaming you don't have to pay out rageous data charges.

I was pleasantly suprised at how well wifi was implemented. You get asked what access point you would like to use to connect - one of the options is EasyWLAN - if you choose this the phone scans for wifi hotspots and from there you can connect. A preety quick process.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:28 PM
bugmenot

Question

Hi.
I am looking at bluetooth stereo headphones for listening to the N91 but if I am trying to use the radio will the lack of a cable cause reception problems? I know on previous devices (and most personal FM radios) the headphone cable is used as an aerial.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Yes you setill need a cable for the Radio to work.

Old 25-04-2006, 12:12 AM

apcaw is on a distinguished road
Hi, Rafe.

Is there any website where there are available softwares for the N91? Free softwares, I hope.