All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM

garbleart is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 Mini: Any questions?

Had my N97 Mini a day. If anybody has any questions fire away and I will try to answer them!

Last edited by garbleart; 06-11-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: no question mark!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:42 PM

sparkster is on a distinguished road
It's all gone pear shaped

I've had the mini for a couple of days now. Great little phone!!

BUT: don't ask me why, but I did a hard reset and have lost most of the apps.

Went to ovi store and the main apps I'm interested in aren't even on there for the N97 mini (facebook, mail for exchange and accuweather).

Tried to download for the N97 original, but fails at the last hurdle on the phone itself ("download from ovi not allowed for N97 mini").

My courses of action?

1. Buy another N97 mini, copy the apps to the PC, then install to the flashed N97 mini.
2. Wait for the apps to appear on the web/Ovi store.
3. Find someone else with a new mini and have them send me the app files!

Doing some googling, I don't think I'm the only one in this situation. It's really annoying.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:56 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Have you tried davecozens' freeware site? www.davecozens.com/n97

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
I've had the mini for a couple of days now. Great little phone!!

BUT: don't ask me why, but I did a hard reset and have lost most of the apps.

Went to ovi store and the main apps I'm interested in aren't even on there for the N97 mini (facebook, mail for exchange and accuweather).

Tried to download for the N97 original, but fails at the last hurdle on the phone itself ("download from ovi not allowed for N97 mini").

My courses of action?

1. Buy another N97 mini, copy the apps to the PC, then install to the flashed N97 mini.
2. Wait for the apps to appear on the web/Ovi store.
3. Find someone else with a new mini and have them send me the app files!

Doing some googling, I don't think I'm the only one in this situation. It's really annoying.
I did a hard reset on mine as well *#7370# and didn't have these problems. Curious.

BTW Accuweather here http://www.symbian-freak.com/downloa...ed_devices.htm

Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 PM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbleart View Post
Had my N97 Mini a day. If anybody has any questions fire away and I will try to answer them!
Great to hear that youve got this phone. Im quite curious about n97 mini. I was first thinking of getting the n97, but when hearing about the troubles with the gps and camera lens scratches I didnt and now Im waiting for the n97 mini to show up in Sweden instead (probably within two weeks time).

So I have a few questions. Hows the battery life in the n97 mini? The battery is smaller than in the big brother n97, so is the battery life then worse or is the software more optimized so its about the same? Is it like in an average phone, i.e it will last for 2 days for average use (some phone calls, surfing, photo shots etc) and one day for heavy use?

Hows the gps, no problems anymore? Camera is good and so on?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Hi,thanks for trying to help us.

1. What about the Camera bulkiness in the rear sidde of the phone. is it very frustrating?
2. What can you say about the keys replace the D-Pad? they are better than the D-Pad?
3. If you can test it with 8GB micro SD and fill the 16GB? is there any hangs or sluggishness.

Thanks

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM

vudluxi is on a distinguished road
Surely there's only one question to answer?
Is it as buggy as its big brother?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhero View Post
Great to hear that youve got this phone. Im quite curious about n97 mini. I was first thinking of getting the n97, but when hearing about the troubles with the gps and camera lens scratches I didnt and now Im waiting for the n97 mini to show up in Sweden instead (probably within two weeks time).

So I have a few questions. Hows the battery life in the n97 mini? The battery is smaller than in the big brother n97, so is the battery life then worse or is the software more optimized so its about the same? Is it like in an average phone, i.e it will last for 2 days for average use (some phone calls, surfing, photo shots etc) and one day for heavy use?

Hows the gps, no problems anymore? Camera is good and so on?
Battery life, a bit better than the 5800, I hve got 16hrs today before it died, and thats with 3G, a couple of calls, some surfing, gravity use. Can't compare to N97 as I've never had one. Its difficult to objhectively view heavy vs light use ;-)

Not tried GPS yet.
Camera is great, big improvement over 5800 and E75, not as good as N86, very similar to N95, I have owned all of the above. Very pleased with the camera.

In addition, I like the keyboard, better than the E75. i have been looking for a cross between the N95 (which I loved) and the 5800 (which I loved) but with a keyboard, the N97 Mini fits the bill nicely.... so far ..
Ads

Old 08-11-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar_Dento View Post
Hi,thanks for trying to help us.

1. What about the Camera bulkiness in the rear sidde of the phone. is it very frustrating?
2. What can you say about the keys replace the D-Pad? they are better than the D-Pad?
3. If you can test it with 8GB micro SD and fill the 16GB? is there any hangs or sluggishness.

Thanks
1. No its hardly noticeable
2. Not used the N97 so can't compare but better than using than the d-pad on the e75, more like the Psion 5mx!
3. not sure what you mean

Only annoying bug so far, is with "photos" I get the following message
"memory full close some applications and try again"

early adopters huh!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudluxi View Post
Surely there's only one question to answer?
Is it as buggy as its big brother?
Dunno as not used its big bro. Its not buggy in day to day use. Quite happy with stability.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 AM

mhero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Battery life, a bit better than the 5800, I hve got 16hrs today before it died, and thats with 3G, a couple of calls, some surfing, gravity use. Can't compare to N97 as I've never had one. Its difficult to objhectively view heavy vs light use ;-)

Not tried GPS yet.
Camera is great, big improvement over 5800 and E75, not as good as N86, very similar to N95, I have owned all of the above. Very pleased with the camera.

In addition, I like the keyboard, better than the E75. i have been looking for a cross between the N95 (which I loved) and the 5800 (which I loved) but with a keyboard, the N97 Mini fits the bill nicely.... so far ..
Thanks for the answer, nice to hear that the battery life survived a day at least, and also good to hear that you are pleased with the camera.

Have u tried the wifi yet, guess it works just like in all other nokia symbian phones, i.e flawless?

The gps would be very interesting to hear if its better then in its predecessor n97. Maybe u can try to see if it gets connection relatively fast ?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. No its hardly noticeable
2. Not used the N97 so can't compare but better than using than the d-pad on the e75, more like the Psion 5mx!
3. not sure what you mean

Only annoying bug so far, is with "photos" I get the following message
"memory full close some applications and try again"

early adopters huh!
Thanks for the reply.

I mean...N97 mini has 8GB internal memory+i will use 8GB micro SD...if i fill this 16GB will the phone slow down?

By the way am a Photos application fan (i use it to sync. with Photos in PC...its great Life blog upgrade).....and this out of memory issue makes BIG problem for me.

Did you try to compress the images using the PC client of Photos? i compress it to 1024x768 and use Tags and Albums extensively and faced many problems in N86 till i give up. Anyone can comment in the Photos performance with larger than 1000 compressed images?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhero View Post
Thanks for the answer, nice to hear that the battery life survived a day at least, and also good to hear that you are pleased with the camera.

Have u tried the wifi yet, guess it works just like in all other nokia symbian phones, i.e flawless?

The gps would be very interesting to hear if its better then in its predecessor n97. Maybe u can try to see if it gets connection relatively fast ?
Not tried any conclusive tests on the GPS, just tried in back garden and it locked on in about 10 seconds.

Wifi just works.. like other nokia phones.

Slightly annoying is the occasional "memory full close some applications and tray again" error. Looking at the RAM (not to be confused with C: drive) I only have 20M free with no apps open! I will investigate further. Clearing the browser cache makes this go away.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Update: By doing a backup and restore I have managed to get the RAM up to about 46M. Still not much.