All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 17-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

I am surprised more people are not complaining about this..

"135MB of (C: ) system disk"

My N97 is completely unusable if I try and use any C: hungry apps - i.e. Nokia Messaging, Maps etc, so much so that I have to choose between using 1 or the other.

I think that with only 135MB on the N8, the same problems are inevitable and I can't face having a phone which I can only use half the functions for 18 months!

Old 17-06-2010, 11:55 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
@jejoma and others: Yes I partially agree, but the problem is: no, 128MB is NO LONGER enough to run Symbian. When I compare my HTC Desire to my N97, the difference is like night and day. Both are respective flagships of their vendors. Both cost me roughly the same. Why the experience on one is horrid and the other is sublime? No, its not subjective or biased - it is a question of just picking up the phone and typing out a message and counting the seconds and mis-hits and double taps and corrections. I think it is high time we stop pretending that Symbian's technical merits mean anything.

And SO WHAT if Symbian TECHNICALLY requires less RAM? In real life, it stops and stutters on no end on every Symbian^1 device I have owned. Launching anything more than 5-6 apps on N97 brings it to a freeze especially if it includes web pages. it takes a second to launch the apps menu. it takes a further second to make it to its lower half. It takes ages to launch a game (even shitty java games). There is no smart dialing.

What? Is this 2010 or what?

Looking at Symbian^3, it has only BEGUN to offer features that Android has been offering for ages. And it still doesn't look very responsive even in promo videos. Yes, they N8 hardware is stunning and that will ensure it as a sales success, but it won't take HTC or Moto or Samsung to match that feature set in the MONTHS that Nokia plans to take to launch N8, and they will already have a better software to run it.

Sorry.
Ads

Old 17-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

Is there anything more substantial than speculation about an N8 with a physical QWERTY? it wouldnt look as sexy, and might spoil the one piece metal back but would be a really useful phone the N9 perhaps
The 2 things that stop me swapping my N97 are the lack of a QWERTY and non removable battery - It will take me some time to trust a Nokia that you cannot easily reboot by taking the battery out!
And a final suggestion if Nokia do produce this how about a discount for anybody who brough an early N97 at full (over)price!
RJB

Old 17-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
You're confusing RAM and flash memory. The N8 has 256MB of RAM, double that of the N97 - and with about four times as much free. It also has two and a bit times as much free disk space on disk C: - I'd have thought that 135MB free is going to be fine - the N97's 50MB or so was only 20MB or so short of where it needed to be as a minimum. IMHO.

Old 17-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Unregistered

nice comparision

but it would be interesting and reasonable to compare all these devices with SAMSUNG WAVE S8500 based on Bada OS. I wonder about the final verdict in this case....

dear steve, great job, and generally AAS and phones show is avery remarkable source of info for me...

regards & grettings
seb

Old 17-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejoma View Post
Erm . . .What's the difference? Apple just call their firmware updates an OS update. It's all smoke, mirrors and magic numbers
That's not really true. There is a HUGE difference between a FW update which fixes bugs and adds limited extra functionality and a full-blown OS upgrade. If Nokia applied the same logic as Apple, older phones would be upgradeable to later versions of Symbian, which has NEVER happened as far as I am aware. This may well negatively influence people considering the N8 as their next phone but who may prefer to wait until Symbian^4 is released.

Old 17-06-2010, 02:33 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8967 View Post
Now they just need some professional PR people in the USA to sell the damn thing.
Nope, they need more than that.

They need operator support - AT&T, etc. A major advertising campaign.

And not wanting to be too negative on the guy doing the 3 part product demos - no doubt he's good at his job, but the presentation was ..... relatively amateurish.

Now, the big question is ... which colour? Every since the W550, i've had a thing about Orange on a phone, so thats probably the route I'll go .... although the black would look a lot better sat in a cradle on the dash of my Audi

Old 17-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
but it would be interesting and reasonable to compare all these devices with SAMSUNG WAVE S8500 based on Bada OS. I wonder about the final verdict in this case...
I've been reviewing the WAVE over the last week. It's only about 90% finished, as you might expect for a new OS. Great screen though. The Galaxy S will be more of a competitor to the phones in this roundup, albeit Android.

Old 17-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
You're confusing RAM and flash memory. The N8 has 256MB of RAM, double that of the N97 - and with about four times as much free. It also has two and a bit times as much free disk space on disk C: - I'd have thought that 135MB free is going to be fine - the N97's 50MB or so was only 20MB or so short of where it needed to be as a minimum. IMHO.
The N97 has 73MB on C drive and if you need to load Maps, Messaging and Quickoffice and do a bit of web browsing its completly full.
135MB will only be fine if applications can be loaded off the C drive.
RAM is less of a problem - but only if you buy a 3rd party manager
RJB

Old 18-06-2010, 06:30 AM

doonit is on a distinguished road
I find myself decidedly un excited by todays phones. Oh for someting new.

Old 18-06-2010, 06:39 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Thats about the only possible negative so far, and I've yet to hear stereo speakers on a mobile that gave anything more than a vaguely interesting effect - you'll never get true stereo separation when the speakers are a few inches apart.
Then, listen to the Nokia N95 with the built-in audio player, stereo widening enabled - after that, you'll surely start loving stereo speakers (assuming widening is supported in software)

Old 18-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I've been reviewing the WAVE over the last week. It's only about 90% finished, as you might expect for a new OS. Great screen though. The Galaxy S will be more of a competitor to the phones in this roundup, albeit Android.
Frankly, I don't think Samsung Bada has any chance against the "big players". I've been playing with the SDK and it's way less capable, programming and API-wise, than, say, the iPhone.

Old 18-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

I love these articles because you know which one is coming out top without even reading it...

Old 18-06-2010, 11:33 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Sorry Steve.. I've lost respect in you with this comparison.

1) Processor in the Iphone 4 is an A4 @ 1Ghz from official specs with multitasking capabilities. This is definitely a winner compared to the N8. Even the Vivaz has a faster processor than the N8 (720Mhz). The Desire has a faster processor and as good with the Multitasking.. How did the N8 win? err?

You also failed to mention that the Iphone 4 will have 512MB of RAM compared to 256MB of the N8..

2) The Iphone 4 video will have 720p.. at 30fps in comparison to the 720p 25fps on the N8.. How do they tie in that??

3) The argument about the updates is pretty irrelevant quite frankly. If you are going to update the phone, OTA has been known to cause more issues than to use the traditional USB updates.

Quite frankly, the scores are very much rigged in favour of N8.. I would highly recommend that you revisit your scoring on this because it is just wrong.

I am a dedicated Nokia Fan, but seriously - Nokia has dropped the ball so many times that even the most dedicated fanboys have to think twice before buying their products again.

Old 19-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Iphone 4 is an A4 @ 1Ghz from official specs with multitasking capabilities. This is definitely a winner compared to the N8. Even the Vivaz has a faster processor than the N8 (720Mhz). The Desire has a faster processor and as good with the Multitasking.. How did the N8 win? err?
Apart from concerns over the way RAM is used on the Desire, Symbian's full multitasking is run close by Android - but the latter only lets you switch back to one of 6 recently run apps - Symbian OS shows you *everything* that's running. That's enough to swing it for me. The iPhone 4 does NOT have proper multitasking. And you can't go by processor speed.

Quote:
You also failed to mention that the Iphone 4 will have 512MB of RAM compared to 256MB of the N8..
How is this relevant? Symbian OS needs a lot less RAM than OS X.

Quote:
2) The Iphone 4 video will have 720p.. at 30fps in comparison to the 720p 25fps on the N8.. How do they tie in that??
I made them joint winners here. The N8 gets a nod because the sensor is much larger and because it has intelligent digital zoom. And better Audio capture, I suspect.

Quote:
3) The argument about the updates is pretty irrelevant quite frankly. If you are going to update the phone, OTA has been known to cause more issues than to use the traditional USB updates.
Oh, don't talk rot. 8-)

Steve