All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-07-2009, 12:46 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Oh, for the UMPTEENTH time, we'd LOVE to give the i8910 HD HUGE coverage. If Samsung could ahem..... make some. Or at least some that aren't locked to an Italian network or crippled by Orange.

Two i8910 HD's are due to arrive this week, but we're not exactly holding our breath.
As you've mentioned Orange and Italian in the same sentence, you're probably already aware that one can be used to fix the other....;-).

Old 21-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Unregistered

[quote=Super Chimp;429211]This test might have meant more if it had included handsets such as the 3GS, Pre, Hero, TG01 & i8910HD. I mean why use the past generation iphone, it makes no sense?

I'm sorry, but it makes PERFECT sense 2 me. The point here is that the s60 browser has improved TREMENDOUSLY compared to the likes of the N95, N95 8gb, N82, E71, etc..N I'm personally very surprised not to have read anythg on this until now. It doesnt matter if the 3GS, or the Pre, or the i8910 is faster than the N86, they're much more powerful hardware, they SHOULD do better. But the test was meant to show how much improved the browser is now compared to previous version. N the fact that the browser now matches, or even bettered the speed of the Iphone 3G, is a really worthy news, at least 4 me it is.

Old 21-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
not a fair test. no 3GS which you know would win WITHOUT testing!!! so you left it out in order to glorify symbian which was the purpose of this test..it's allaboutsymbian of course
READ and UNDERSTAND the whole point of the article Apple Fanboy!

Old 21-07-2009, 01:15 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Nice comparison guys..

Interesting that you are using the latest version of Iphone OS (3.0) to do the comparison and the N97 still beats them (given they have similar CPU speeds). In comparison to a 3GS is probably not too fair unless Nokia had put in a 600Mhz ARM11 in there as well.

Also, those fanboys there that claim the 3GS is suppose to be 3 times faster - remember that there is a fair amount of latency involved with downloading the page itself - plus the fact that the CPU is only 50% more than the previous generation, the results of these tests will be closer to 40% better than the 3G iphone. the 300% faster speed only incorporates the fact there is a faster GPU in there as well and is not used during browsing. So realistically a 3GS will ONLY be as fast as a N97 or 5800 ANYWAY.

BTW.. I've quite literally stopped using my NETBOOK since I got my N97.. Given the Browser is now fast enough to be usable and that it does have sufficient memory to browse (and multitask my MSN) - plus its instantly there (and on) with much more battery life, it really is very cool..

Last edited by bchliu; 21-07-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Ads

Old 21-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

Here's a comparison between the the iPhone & N97 browser speed..

http://www.mobiiliblogi.com/2009/07/...vut-nopeammin/

Old 21-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
READ and UNDERSTAND the whole point of the article Apple Fanboy!
poor boy has his feelings hurt over his slow browser!

Old 21-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Unregistered

Looking again at those figures, those really are impressive numbers there. I'm amazed how so many negative comments are being posted here. Probably with comparable hardware with the 3GS, the Nokias would have given it a royal kick in the ass!

Old 21-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
poor boy has his feelings hurt over his slow browser!
Nope, your're just an idiot who doesn't get it

Old 21-07-2009, 02:13 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The N97 is still faster in most of the tests..

Given the following circumstances:

1) N97 has a higher resolution than the Iphone meaning it has to push harder to display more and cache more of the screen info

2) N97 also displays AND loads the flash content - which Apple does not.

Old 21-07-2009, 02:50 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
www.apple.com vs www.nokia.com

Rafe,

You should have compared the speed and appearance of Nokia's S60 web rendering www.apple.com with Apple's iPhone Safari rendering www.nokia.com.

"Full web", my arse.

Old 21-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

iPhone specific sites

I've just installed a user agent switcher on firefox, and it also appears that a number of sites I test serve up reduced iPhone pages if you have the iPhone UA string.

Slashdot for instance only shows 5 stories with no sidebars - since slashdot loads the content after the main page has loaded, the number of stories has a direct link to the amount of time it takes to load. Also, the floating CSS sidebar isn't there for iPhone.

Interestingly, apple.com takes more time to complete on my computer that it does on those phones in the linked youtube video.

Old 21-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

i dont know what your intent was, but that comparison shows that the n97 is actually slightly faster on some pages, and the video certainly shows that the n97 is very close to the iphone 3g. its not like a blow out or anything, they are both finishing very close together.

also the slashdot page on the iphone i dont think was the full version.

Old 21-07-2009, 04:38 PM

JohnnyN is on a distinguished road
Never mind being able to skip the unregistered comments, why not make them have to register in the first place?

Old 21-07-2009, 06:24 PM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
If you do get the other phones, hopefully soon - is it possible to update this test?

Or better yet, please do this as a standard test for future phones, e.g. a grid style loading performance comparison? this test is really interesting for comparison purposes.

Cheers

Old 21-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
The intent is testing the newest version of the browser 7.1. All those phones are using the newer browser with improved rendering so take your pick whichever one you want. And the 5800 seems to be the older and has a slower cpu and it actually seemed slightly quicker so it really doesn't seen to matter anyway.
Well I am going to go out on a limb here & I have no scientific tests to back this up so it's my own personal experience of the two devices but I would say, allowing for connection issues, that my 3GS renders pages considerably faster than my 5800XM used to do.

I don't want to be seen as just flying the flag for the 3GS here as I am sure other devices such as the Pre, i8910HD & even possible the Hero enjoy a better performance than most of the devices listed here. But you wouldn't know as they weren't tested.

As for AAS not testing the i8910HD, well their not going to have an excuse for not reviewing after the 01/08/2009 as that's when it gets re-released in it's fully finalised form. Source

Last edited by Super Chimp; 21-07-2009 at 07:56 PM.