All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Robin VA

Wierd, unlogic things (6120 classic)

* Unable to save messages into a folder when typed into "create message".
Only possibility = drafts which is saved automaticly
* When playing music and receiving a message(or taking a picture, etc...) will
stop the music and
play a sound for that message. Even when the sound is turned off the
vibrating still interrupts the music.
* There is no possibility to add a reminder in the calendar. The 'memo' function
has no alarm time function which is very annoying. You have to add 'meeting
or todo' if you want to add an alarm time!
* No option to enable the flash permanent.

Will they make an upgrade for these problems? That calendar thing is the worst problem...

Besides these things, the phone is absolutely GREAT...

Greetings
Robin

Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
AlmostDone

Can anyone tell me what the battery life is like for using as a modem?

I carry a Nokia n800 and this would be the perfect campanion if the battery is good. The talk time seems disappointing though.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Just got my 6120 and spent hours messing with all the functions! Great phone! Full internet access and have Tomtom navigator 6 up and running no probs with a Holux M1000 bluetooth gps device.

The vibrate function didn't seem to work straight away so I found this workaround on another site

For those who want their 6120 to vibrate with no ringing sounds -

- Open the sound recorder and record a blank 3-4 second clip and save it
- In the profiles section use sound clip.amr for incoming calls and messages

I seem to remember doing this 4 years ago with my 6600
Ads

Old 13-10-2007, 08:13 AM

Also works with microSDHC cards

Nokia's official specs may say "microSD up to 2 GB," but the 6120c works fine with higher capacity cards. It fully supports the new microSDHC cards.

According to the SanDisk website their latest 6 GB microSDHC card is compatible with the 6120c.

My 6120c has no problems at all with my 4 GB microSDHC card.

Old 14-10-2007, 05:17 AM
Unregistered

Nice review. I liked it.
I have one question though. Do you know if there is a compatible battery with bigger capacity that will work on this phone? Battery life seems to be one of the biggest concerns with 6120 at only 2.4h for 3G and 3.1h for GSM (BL-5B 3.7V 820 mAh).
Thanks

Old 18-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just got my 6120 and spent hours messing with all the functions! Great phone! Full internet access and have Tomtom navigator 6 up and running no probs with a Holux M1000 bluetooth gps device.
Does the sound work OK?

I saw on youtube someone running it and they the voice did a HIC after the instructions. Thank

Old 19-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

I've now upgraded to the 6120, but have to say that the battery life is worse than any phone I've previously had. I am lucky if it lasts a day without my making any phone calls.

I decided not to purchase Tom Tom Navigator 6 for the time being as I may go back to using my Nokia N70. I have found that you are able to use the Nokia maps with the 6120.

Old 20-10-2007, 02:11 AM

oly730 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am wondering about this whole missing "pencil" key. I understand its been integrated with the # key but i was wondering if all its features worked the same?

Will it still do copy in paste with text and will it mark files when held down as the "pencil" key does on other S60 phones?

thanks,
Yes, it works the same.
I just tried to "forward" a SMS. Then I press the navi key to the right while pressing # key, and the selected sentences are highlighted.
Next press option, then choose editing options and you will have copy or cut selection. The rest is the same.

The only problem I found from combining this pencil key is when using ScreenSnap program, as it requires pencil key to snap the screen display.

Old 20-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Unregistered

I am concerned about the heat generated during a call. I have heard the 6120 classic suffers from this quite badly. Have you experienced this?

Old 20-10-2007, 03:32 PM

oly730 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am concerned about the heat generated during a call. I have heard the 6120 classic suffers from this quite badly. Have you experienced this?
I think it becoming warm as any other cell phone and some people have compalined about that.
To me it is OK because I always use Bluetooth head set and very seldom place the phone to my ear.
If you worry about that to your health why don't use the same gadget, more convenient and safer too.

Old 23-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The heat is a known problem for all Nokia phones with the processors, that they are using. I think they are considering a change in that department. Maybe the design of this phone, putting the cpu closer to the ear and of course the small size of the phone itself make this problem more noticeable than other models, that are bigger. Yes, it gets warm, but it is not unbearable, so don't worry.
My biggest negative thought about that phone remains the battery life. It can barely last 2 days and that is only if I am not watching videos, listening to music or using any other features of the "smart" part. I am even considering switching it off during the night to conserve power, something that I haven't done maybe since the very early 2000's. :(
I really hope that Nokia release an improved battery or some other company releases a non-original battery with higher capacity.
Cheers!

Old 27-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Interested

Question Really odd question

I know maybe no one has the answer, but does anyone know how much capability this phone would have if I put my old AT&T sim card in it? I have an ancient plan, but being a college student I am trying to keep it as long as possible. I have heard that the internet capabilities wouldn't work, but will over function work? Thanks you for your consideration.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Jametyh

hi I have a question about my newly purchased Nokia 6120 classic. Apparently after I bought the phone, I added my new friend's mobile number to my contact list, but when she sent me a text msg, the sender appears in the phone as her mobile number and not her name as I have input in the contact list. Does anyone has any answers to this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

Hi Jametyh

I've got a 6120 and mine shows the name when someone rings or sends a text.

Have you entered your friends number in twice? If so then the phone does not know which name to select, so just shows the number.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

Maximising 6120C

Great reviews!!

Fate brought me to this model. Coming from Nokia 6600 - this is the best upgrade I can get - budget-wise. The only thing is, I wanna explore everything that this model can do. I started off with the camera, videos, and tracks. The games are fun too but I want to learn more, maximize the usage of this phone. One problem I encounter is that I dont know why my unit doesn't automatically read my sim's contact, I have to go to my sim card directory just to find my contacts.

Upgrading from a simple mobile like 6600 to a 6120 is overwhelming. Is there a site or anything about detailed usage of each functions (like the different apps). The manual/handbook doesn't help much. And I don't know where to start exploring.