All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-10-2006, 10:37 PM

walnut is on a distinguished road
E70 - Tomtom 6.1 bugs

When you open the phone to access the keyboard the program crashes.

The number keys do not work on the keyboard when entering a postcode, you have to click through the letters for that key to get too the number.
The keys have to be pressed at a very precise rate or you get the wrong character.
Despite these niggles the program runs very well when navigating.
Ads

Old 31-10-2006, 07:53 PM

luiskim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut

The number keys do not work on the keyboard when entering a postcode, you have to click through the letters for that key to get too the number.
The keys have to be pressed at a very precise rate or you get the wrong character.

i have the e62 and i just installed tomtom on mine. honestly i can live with the keypad problem. but on mine, the backlight stays off all the time and there is no way to turn that on.
could you help me a bit if you can? thanks.

Uptade
found the threat on the workaround.. thank

Last edited by luiskim; 31-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut

But TomTom don't claim that the E70 is fully compatible. Also, are you running a full, bought, legal and activated copy?

Steve

Old 20-11-2006, 12:03 AM

Jan Bergström is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth features might be a solution for mac users?

Hi!
Use Bluetooth with my HP nx8220 laptop PC and my E70, works fine. And there are obviously two paths, Nokia PC Suite and the Bluetooth features.

I think the Bluetooth features is a smooth, though not complete, path for Mac-users. BT in the PC with the E70 is real great. But Making the BT installation in the PC is quite an adventure if it is not preinstalled by the PC manufacturer.

Bluetooth features
-------------
The Bluetooth the communication with the E70 is very smooth. No cables needed and the phone even not need to be in the same room. The following features for the PC are obvious:
- PC Suite
- OBEX File transfer (get into the phone and SD-card memories as disks)
- Dial up Networking (Works with the operators instructions (Phone number, user and password.

The two last should work with a Mac. I Tried this on my HP nx8220 laptop that in my experience is a really good computer because all looks to be installed and works smooth right away (one of the few accurate Mac arguments from the past is not valid here). I have ordered a couple of Belkin F8T012UK Bluetooth 2.0 class1 units for mine and some other stationary generic PCs with no present Bluetooth connectivity. There are some hazels to install Bluetooth units in PC-XP SP2 to be aware of. (Se below)

Usage
------------
It takes a few seconds for the Bluetooth to attach after switching on the PC (normally I have it in XP Sleep state and looks to take longer time with a cold start of the PC).

However PC being running it attaches automatically in the background as long as the Bluetooth unit in the PC and the mobile phone is on. If so it is just to use them. Use the available features.

The dial up networking
--------------
There are in anyway in Sweden Mobile broadband contracts for mobile phones that have very decent pricelists. Tele2 for instance 165 SEK /month and 1Gb free surf. With 1Gb there could be a number of emails exchanged and a lot of general surfing. But heavy downloading, like films is a part not really suitable for these kinds of contracts. These contracts gives also nice prices by phoning.

Certainly my 24Mbps Telia ADSL is by far faster. But in the summer house, the sailing boat, the caravan and on visits and business meetings it is real smooth to have constant connectivity to the Internet. (As well in the phone it self for looking at local train timetables etc. In Stockholm there is the mobil.sl.se and google has the www.google.se/pda that gives easy access with small screens. However the Web-browser in the E70 is the best I have seen in small gears.)

I have a friend that used a Telenor/Vodaphone contract on his mobile phone and supplied the entire family with two teenagers in the summer cottage and only the holiday month of July he needed to pay for more traffic than 1Gb/month.

I thoght that a Linksys Wireless-G Router for 3G/UMTS Broadband WRT54G3G+a GSM/3G PC-card would be a necessity to have a smooth set up. But it looks like a Bluetooth in all PCs and it set up would be enough. I think worth trying first.

In many cottages (domestically) the GSM might be weak and the 3G works well due to the fact the operators need more masts for 3G and it might be one 3G mast better positioned. So one shall always check up the availability for the mobile phone services. The change to the E70 from like mine 6800 could be a great difference, just in talking in the phone.

(Else the 3G lolly features that should keep a huge multi billion EUR market running is a stupid mistake. People talk, sms and might use it for internet connectivity. #G, as with GPRS (high speed GSM-data the major problem is not the gear, the problem is rather the operators and the rooming contracts.

Going abroad in many cases all other features and the internet connectivity very often do not work. Reason is lack of rooming contracts between operators. One problem is really enoying and that is if there are no 3G operators with rooming contract with your domestic operator the phone looks working but refuses when you get the call. Need to change from dual mode to GSM mode in the phone. It is absolutely ridiculous. The costs abroad where a postcard MMX could be nice to send are horrible and surfing even worse. It makes a huge part of the entire 3G-business idea going down the drain.)

Features missing with the Bluetooth
-----------------------
Two features would be very nice to have between the PC and the Mobile phone like my E70 would be :
- Getting the contacts, the messages and the calendar over Bluetooth without the PC Suite. I think many users find the PC Suite slightly heavy application in the PC and would like a lighter approach over Bluetooth.
- Internet network connectivity (direct usage of the mobile phones (obviously already working) Internet communications, without dial up networking parameters (that are already in use in the phone). It would be very nice if it would work functionally with any number of PCs attached to it like a threadless 802.11g router. Eq a household of say four PCs could share a line to Internet at the same time. It would be much smoother foor the user to have the communications working, just link and pair the Bluetooth units and run. I haven’tried yet to try multiple dial up networking sessions from many PCs at the same time. )

- My hp8220 tells me there is a handsfree Audio gateway available and I would be very happy if there were any free simple SW that emulated a Handsfree car unit and made also the PC adressbook available for calls. It would mean that the PCs audio gear would work and the calling could be made from a PC application (with the phone still in the pocket). Really something for like Nokia to invest in to boost sales of such advanced phones. Also making Video calls from/to the PC available the same way would be a killer. Setting up Video conferences this way would be an interesting business tool.

Problems installing Bluetooth in the PC
---------------
This is the major problem running Bluetooth in a PC. The major problem comes from the fact that the Bluetooth stacks are not free in general. It means that buying a Bluetooth USB unit means that the user must have a Blue tooth stack SW licence as well. It is not just drivers.

The problem is that the HW-market is under heavy price pressure and they rather pay cheap for a bad (or not real good) stack than get the right thing. The other perspective is that MS is still the major actor on the OS-level of PCs and what MS does is the middle of the road solution. The middle of the road solution is always better even if there are generically seen better technical solutions. The case is that everyone making applications must test to the most common setup of a PC. If it does not work there, they are in a bad situation on the market (that not all sales and economists really always understands).

For instance I bought a ISSCBTA Hama USB unit and failed to make it work with the MS stack. There were pages on internet with people having problems with ISSCBTA units both with the stack that came with the unit and to find the installation to make it work with the MS Stack. I had to return the unit after my failure. That installation was never the same after the Hama BT product installation. Happy I use DVD backups of good complete installations, so I could reinstall the PC smooth again.

The MS SP SP2 has a Bluetooth stack and it must be considered to be the middle of the road solution. None making SW using Bluetooth from a PC can make a product without testing with it.

The problem is that very few of the HW units supported by the MS installation procedure for BT are easy available on the market, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841803. However it is possible to edit the installation files for units that has do work with these drivers but is not in the list. SO for instance the Belkin F8T012UK Bluetooth 2.0 class1 units should be possible to make working by the following instructions. http://32feet.net/files/folders/1118/download.aspx. As far as I can see there are no people furious not making this Belkin unit working reporting it on internet. I tried to find instructions for some other of my supplier TechDatas Bluetooth USB products and find none. So I ordered the Belkin gear and I hope it will work with the MS Stack.

The thing to find good BT gear to install in the PC and be able to make it running is in fact the major problem of Bluetooth to reach large market shares. Windows based PCs are so common that nothing else counts. The BT organisation should really have this in mind. There are a lot of gears to mobile phones that should be good for PC use and there are a lot of features of phone/PC interactivity that are very useful. In fact I find it real smooth and good with my HP nx8220 (where all just works).

Right the Mac user says, with some right, but of course the question is to have something to choose from, and the market is huge for PC users and very poor for Mac users. So if the Macuser has a working Bluetooth is should be gay and find ways of using it with his Nokia E70 or having to buy something that might cost some more than 20 EUR to make it work.

Old 20-11-2006, 12:06 AM

Jan Bergström is on a distinguished road
Nokia E70 user interface and Slow OS

The slow E70?
--------------
I think we all are waiting for an upgrade of the phone SW from Nokia. As usual a too slow processor is used for the things being installed in the gear at the end. I guess it was not thought so from the start.

But there is also a matter of living with the reality. The Nokia 9x00 units has been suffering from the same problem. I am certain it is possible to optimize the operating Symbian system a lot. But there are noticeable facts using the unit. For instance open the keeboard when the phone is in sleep state takes far longer fr the Sw to be in input mode than first waking it and then open the keyboard. Routines like this will be natural as a user after a while being observant on the situation and the possibilities. Being demanding and and unsensitive, it looks like having to live in pain. For such a user an alternative product would be great, but I can’t see any. So such a behaviour means punishing one self.
To get optimisations of the Synbian OS to make the E70 work better would be something all looks to be longing for.

User interface – too complicated.
-------------
The major problem with the E70 and most new mobile phones from any producer is the complicity in the user interface. The 6800 had a great optimisation on lifting talk and sms forward on cost of other more “trilling 3G-fetures” that very few uses often. It is so bad som any of these features would be deselected by many users if they just got out of the way. That is a bad rating for the user interface rather than for the features, that has a use from time to time.

There are new things that are great, like the camera is really good for its size. The Video is nice too. Only problem is that it is only possible to use it recording Mp4 videos and not mp2-videos. It is hard to find a free Mp4-browser for the PC. The voice recording is too easy to start and the button should be possible to configure for something else, like edit an SMS that many more users are interested in.

Finding ways of lift talking and sms more in front, wanting something else would emand asking for it specifically would be a great improvement. There is obviously no way of self re-styling of the user interface.

Another thing would be a SW making the entire configuration of the E70. There is supposed to be one (from the Nokia homepage) but it just crash in the PC trying to install it.

I think for an upgrade and for next version of Symbian and Nokia E70 Sw user interface matters should be considered.

To have the Tomtom6 SW working with the E70-keyboard should be a first level task to solve. To have a navigator in the phone is a great thing. I use a FS Loox 520 with TT5 and it is real good. The major disadvantage with the FS is that it uses MS Win Mobile 5 and it is first of all useless in any other language than the users. In Swedish an English version is useless. In general MS tried to sneak away from support (as they see it costs) and push it over to the HW manufactures that have the same view reverse and hasn’t realised the MS approach. Symbian works better by far. The thing after the E70 keyboard works with the E70 is to find a BT-GPS mounted fixed in the car. And get a good phone stand in it.

I think my Nokia E70 is great. But I think Nokia must see upgrade of the OS and the user interface as a major task to get much better sales figures for gears like these.