All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thoughts on the Nokia 5800 at 50

Version 50 firmware, that is! Guest writer Jon Satherley has been a long time user of the Nokia 5800 and below he puts into print his summary and thoughts on the version 50 firmware that has given the device yet another new lease of life.

Read on in the full article.

Old 26-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Unregistered

I want to see a real Touch UI developed for Symbian rather than the abortion that they came up with for the 5800 then N97.

It is night and day between Android/iPhone and Symbian. Compared to the other phones, Symbian looks sleepy and less thought out.

Old 26-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Jhoravi

How come there's already v50?? My firmware is still at v31 and I can't even update to v40

Old 26-04-2010, 07:35 AM
masnell

Angry It still sucks...

I have been a Nokia user since the mid-90's years - only strayed once to briefly try a iPaq - so I was all over the 5800XM when announced. Like you I have been keen for every update - I like some of the interface updates that appear iPhone inspired - but this is all follower not leader stuff.

My problem is the fundamental instability of the platform - e.g. the lock key sometimes doesn't unlock the screen but allows you to power down, or those unexplained restarts when browsing the web or in the middle of some other apps, or all my SMS messages disappearing, my email (Gmail) account disappearing and needing to be reset-up, and the periodic reformat of the memory card needed due to strange behavior that disappears afterwards etc. And yes, it's been back to Nokia twice - each time coming back with a slightly newer, but possibly not publicly released firmware update - but after a day or so of use the issues will start to be found.

Then we could get into the whole interface design issues with OviStore and Music Express which both seemed determined to prevent you from fully leveraging them.

The 5800XM and the failure of the series of updates to fix this platform have eroded any good will I have for Nokia - Android is my next stop and I don't think I will look back - would love to try the Android on 5800 hack to verify hardware vs software issues.

Old 26-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

Just bought one for my wife, and yeah the interface is no iphone, but neither is the $200US (New Unlocked) that I paid for it. She loves it and it's stereo speakers are hand's down the BEST I've ever heard on a cell phone. Eagerly awaiting v50 for her RM-428.

As I stare down at my E90, I'm fairly convinced that this will be my last Nokia (At least for the foreseeable future). Either Dell Streak and the Samsung Galaxy S is my next phone.

Old 26-04-2010, 08:06 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Did anyone else notice that Nokia have left the User Agent profile as N97 when porting the browser to the 5800?

Old 26-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by masnell View Post
IMy problem is the fundamental instability of the platform - e.g. the lock key sometimes doesn't unlock the screen but allows you to power down, or those unexplained restarts when browsing the web or in the middle of some other apps, or all my SMS messages disappearing, my email (Gmail) account disappearing and needing to be reset-up, and the periodic reformat of the memory card needed due to strange behavior that disappears afterwards etc. And yes, it's been back to Nokia twice - each time coming back with a slightly newer, but possibly not publicly released firmware update - but after a day or so of use the issues will start to be found.

I find it very interesting to read about instability, and wonder what's different from unit to unit, because I run a 5800xm through all FW versions 1 through to 50 and have not experienced any such problems.

Old 26-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I find it very interesting to read about instability, and wonder what's different from unit to unit, because I run a 5800xm through all FW versions 1 through to 50 and have not experienced any such problems.
That should have read 11 through 50, not 1 through 50.

Old 26-04-2010, 10:34 AM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
This firmware really does (almost) complete the 5800, you can argue about the details, but the browser is really ok now, and so is the menu navigation.
It must be the best value feature-complete (i.e. including Wifi, 3G, GPS, large (touch)screen, decent camera) smartphone there is at the moment, especially when bought second-hand.

The one big problem remaining is the tap-double tap controls. I honestly do not understand why Nokia does not include an option to switch to a 'long press for menu' system, or at least option. Also goes for the N97 etc. of course.
(I know it's coming for ^3, but it seems like such an easy feature to implement in ^1 as well. Maybe I am underestimating it)
Ads

Old 26-04-2010, 12:45 PM

walmark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoravi View Post
How come there's already v50?? My firmware is still at v31 and I can't even update to v40
Well, I have unbranded n97 mini 0591930 and there hasn't been ANY firmware update released. They are just pissing on us, without even the courtesy of calling it rain... (to paraphrase)

Old 26-04-2010, 04:12 PM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to it; I've only just updated to v40, which vodafone finally made available last week.

Old 26-04-2010, 04:49 PM

miskol is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb One of the best game for this phone

One of the best game for this phone

http://store.ovi.com/content/30651

Old 26-04-2010, 06:10 PM
JhorAVi

What's wrong with 0578218? I was able to update to v31 and no more further updates since then.

Old 26-04-2010, 08:45 PM

carman58 is on a distinguished road
Bling v Bucks

Hi, a good and fair article I would say. Really can't understand the moaners, I have an N97 and with all the problems the phones had, I think I have more right to moan than a 5800 owner, I'm not moaning, just making a point. The iPhone, Android, Google etc comparisons in relation to the 5800 are really unfair, for the cost of the phone, with the latest firmware I think it represents fantastic value for money. As for the tapping thing I really don't see the problem, I have friends with fruit phones who often have to go in and out of apps by mistake, not an issue with 5th addition. A lot of it is personal taste, I like symbian, it's not perfect, but it's evolving and it is supported, plus if you don't like it, try something else, but it may cost you a lot more to get it, and the grass is always greener !!

Old 26-04-2010, 09:04 PM

irm86 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone recommend using "Nemesis" software (or similar) to change the product code of a 5800XM to download the latest firmware version?