All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 AM

alphamusic is on a distinguished road
Should I buy a N85 or N96 on contract?

I just sold my N95 in anticipation of replacing it with an N85. I am debating on what to do as my network provider, 3, has had the N96 for 30 a month since release, which comes to 540 over the term. I don't go over the allowance that they are providing. I had originally wanted an N85 and still do, but they really aren't much cheaper. I have found a few deals on Orange for 40 a month on 12 months, but no sign of what the data tariff would be. From what I've been able to glean from Orange's website it looks like 8 for 250mb which sounds too limiting and brings the cost up too much.
Alternatively I might be able to get the money together to pay 350 to an ebay UK powerseller, or I've heard that some cashback websites offer 30% back from Nokia's online store, but it takes time to get the money, and it makes me a bit nervous. Has anyone gone by either of these routes?
It looks like the N85 is exclusive to Phones 4 U on the high street for the time being, which is disappointing. Phones 4 U are currently only offering very poor 35 18 month contracts and only on Orange. Anyone know what the exclusivity period is?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM

pennas is on a distinguished road
I've just gone for a vodafone contract from Mobile Phones Direct. 30/month for 18 months, free N85, contract includes data.

Seemed like the best deal I could find, for me.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Mobile Phones direct must have just added, as I checked them two days ago and they didn't have the N85. I'd be more tempted by a 12 month contract, but there are tariffs with data, so that's an improvement for me. First non-Orange contract offer I've seen.
Ads

Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM

If you add 7.50 a month for data on the Orange 12-month contracts, they cost more than the 18-month Vodafone contract!

Plus, you can lower the tariff to ~20 after 9 months and lower the TCO to more like 450 (although you would lose the free data - but could buy out the contract at that price if the new N-series touch arrives H2 2009 )

Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM

You have a very good point. I think 30 a month with web is good, because I'd pay 35 once I add data to 3 for the N96. Might have to go for that. I have no experience with Vodafone, but the price is right.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 PM

dhevans_6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennas View Post
I've just gone for a vodafone contract from Mobile Phones Direct. 30/month for 18 months, free N85, contract includes data.

Seemed like the best deal I could find, for me.
Have you had it delivered? You are both in the same boat as me - I'm due for an upgrade in Jan, and the vodafone deal looked tempting.. But never used mobile phones direct..

I'm hopeful I might actually get a decent signal in my house, given I haven't with Orange nor O2...

Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhevans_6 View Post
Have you had it delivered? You are both in the same boat as me - I'm due for an upgrade in Jan, and the vodafone deal looked tempting.. But never used mobile phones direct..

I'm hopeful I might actually get a decent signal in my house, given I haven't with Orange nor O2...
Not yet :( Ordered Friday and the credit check was delayed as I had to send proof of ID, but it should be dispatched Monday and with me Tuesday

I've seen good things about Mobile Phones Direct on other sites, so wasn't worried about ordering from them.

Can't wait for my new toy

Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 PM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
I received my N85 from Mobile Phones Direct a few days ago and their service is excellent. Came with the wrong charger but they sent a replacement through the post which I received the next morning!

My wife upgraded with them earlier this year and she was very happy with their service too.

So count that as two happy customers.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 PM

mamoo_51 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonShowers View Post
I received my N85 from Mobile Phones Direct a few days ago and their service is excellent. Came with the wrong charger but they sent a replacement through the post which I received the next morning!

My wife upgraded with them earlier this year and she was very happy with their service too.

So count that as two happy customers.
I also received the wrong charger from them, how strange!! am yet to receive a replacement too but did only unpack the phone friday evening. At least i can charge via USB

Old 10-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Were the boxes sealed/ resealed by Mobile Phones Direct or Nokia? Were they branded or sim free models? I'm starting to lean towards buying a sim free model, or waiting till there is more competition and the N85 stops being a Phones 4U exclusive. Phones 4U subsidiary Dial-A-Phone has better deals, but their website is pretty poor and there are no options for bundled data so it puts me off buying from them. Alternatively if I wait, any advice on S60 preferably FP1 phones with low resale values that I could use while I wait?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Havent got one myself, but have heard from 2 other people who got it from MPD tha it was sealed, and unbranded.

They would have to be unbranded, since Vodafone do not have a firmware out for the N85 as technically, they dont do that handset.

As for a cheap S60 V3 phone with FP1, what do you want out of it? If you want GPS, get the 6110N. Or if it just has to be an S60 phone, get the 6120 classic.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I wonder when there will start to be more competition with online phone retailers. I don't need a GPS. I had a look at both phones, and the 6120 looks slightly more attractive mainly because it is about 20 cheaper used. I've also been considering a used N73 because of it's camera, because it can go for similar prices tot he 6120 on ebay. I guess I don't want to sacrifice on screen size as I do a fair bit of web browsing. A decent autofocus camera would be a plus. Otherwise price point is the most important issue, as I don't want to waste money on a temporary phone.

Last edited by alphamusic; 10-11-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamusic View Post
Were the boxes sealed/ resealed by Mobile Phones Direct or Nokia? Were they branded or sim free models?
As Bartman says, sealed and unbranded.

Probably unlocked, but I haven't tried yet.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM

dhevans_6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonShowers View Post
As Bartman says, sealed and unbranded.

Probably unlocked, but I haven't tried yet.
Sorry another question - did you both upgrade or new number?

An unbranded phone on an upgrade would be sold to me (especially as I am fighting for my second cashback cheque from CPW, with only two months of my 12 month contract left)...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:03 AM

I upgraded for 223.

I see the price has now come down to 190, so you did well to wait a few days :-)