All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Location: split time between New York City and North Tonawanda, NY USA
mniss is on a distinguished road
Projekt crashes on E62 losing current outline

I read the AAS review of Projekt and immediately bought it and started (cautiously) using it for "life and death" matters. (Keeping track of medications and test results for a serious medical condition.) The program lends itself perfectly to my task with features such as date-stamping entries and (this is extremely helpful) automatically totaling values in subtrees.

Unfortunately, the phone runs out of memory occasionally and when it does one cannot save the current outline (sometimes it purports to save but makes a blank file). In fact, it loses all changes since the last "Save As" command when the filename changed, even if one has exited the program and even reset the phone in the mean time, forcing the program to save and restore the current outline internally somehow. This is obviously unacceptable for a program I rely on, and I have resorted to frequently renaming and resaving the outline along with emailing to myself on a regular basis, but this is painful...

The problem must be the phone's internal memory, which is seemingly quite tiny. I store my outlines on a 1GB memory card which has plenty of room.

Previously, I had been using the Symbian Notes program, which, aside from the limited feature set, is almost impossible to export to any usable format. (I had to install Outlook just to retrieve the Notes using PC Sync, then do extensive massaging to get the notes combined into a single file that was actually useful, for example a spreadsheet.) I also tried Best Jotter, which looked like it would work well for me, but the export function completely failed and the developers had no E62 to try it on and were unable to reproduce the bug on their test phones, including the E61.

Can anyone suggest another program? I need it to export and email exported files in a format that can be converted to readable text and/or spreadsheet formats. Program must be light enough to run in the background so I can quickly switch to it, add an entry, and then go back to whatever I was using the phone for (usually email or games or web browsing with Opera), and ideally it should be quite easy to add a note with the date and time embedded in it. (I would like my mother -- a web designer so not computer illiterate, but a mother nonetheless -- to be able to make notes when I am incapacitated. She had no problem with the Notes program but Projekt was too hard since she does not use a phone herself.)

Thanks!

Millie
Ads

Old 29-12-2007, 10:49 AM

AndyM is on a distinguished road
Have you sent email to the author, Benoit Dupont? He's very responsive, and I'm sure would like to know of any problems with the application.

Old 29-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Location: split time between New York City and North Tonawanda, NY USA
mniss is on a distinguished road
I sent it to "Contact Us" at Kylom

Good to know Benoit Dupont is responsive. I hope the email to Kylom filters down to him. I really do like his program but it just doesn't work properly on my phone. But I have had this trouble before with other programs, so my phone must be weird. It is my first mobile phone, so I don't know how common it is to have trouble with phone software and performance. The phone does seem a lot flakier than most computer platforms I use, even Vista :-)