All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 AM

Stezos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPKenny

What's my next course of action. I've had the phone more than 28 days so I don't think O2 will be bothered with it. Do I take it to my nearest Nokia Service Centre and play dumb? Will there be a way for them to tell I've change the product code?
You could try doing what I did when I bricked mine. I took it back to carphone and told them that I was doing a video and when I finished and it tried saving to the memory card phone froze, rebooted and didnt come back on. They just did a straight swap from thier stock. Its worth a try.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:39 AM

onis_uk is on a distinguished road
i hava an N80 on o2 and couldnt be bother to wait.. i used the Euro 1 Smooth Stainless is 0529378
and it worked a treat cheers lads !

oh and i just did the back(content copier) up using nokia pc suite and it worked fine .....

Last edited by onis_uk; 04-11-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:12 PM

neilmallon is on a distinguished road
I just followed those instructions and within 15minutes I'd flashed my phone. Well done and thanks!!

Neil
Ads

Old 04-11-2006, 01:20 PM

WPKenny is on a distinguished road
Well I've hit another brick wall.

It seemed to install ok but when I follow the instructions the first problem I hit is not being able to find "Firmware update". I can only select SW Update which seems to give me the right options but only if I choose USB connection and not "No Connection" as specified in the guide.

It attempts to flash the phone in USB mode but fails. It doesn't even let me start in No Connection mode. The dialogue box indicates something might need configuring with regards to USb ports or some such.

When I go to enable these ports it asks me about installing drivers. Since the whole thing relies on cracked drivers and very specific things I'm worried that it would break something. Do I go "ok"? or something else?

EDIT:

Ok it seems that the software's quite different to the Dead guide. I'm currently flashing the phone *fingers crossed*.
I started it in USB mode and went to the SW Updater. While it was running it's checks I pressed the power button on the phone as it suggests to do at a specific point in the Dead guide. It's accepting the firmware now and hopefully it will revive the phone! I'll let you know.

EDIT2:
For some reason it lost connection to the phone briefly at 75% :( I'm trying to re-create what I did before to try and get the flashing restarted.

EDIT3:
Heh. Well It seems I may just have a crappy cable. I've wiggled and bent and twisted the cable and got it to establish a connection again. *fingers crossed for a second time*

EDIT4: YAY! It's working!

Last edited by WPKenny; 04-11-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:57 PM

go_with_it is on a distinguished road
How do i open the gsm-magic file? It's an unknown extention so i have to select which i want to use, not a clue!

Old 04-11-2006, 03:00 PM

cbkm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
EDIT3:
Heh. Well It seems I may just have a crappy cable. I've wiggled and bent and twisted the cable and got it to establish a connection again. *fingers crossed for a second time*
Now THAT is interesting. I also have a crappy cable and mine's an O2 branded phone too. I borrowed someone elses cable to do the flash cause of how bad my cable seemed to be. (Mine's a dark gray, the one I borrowed was a black one.)

Quote:
EDIT4: YAY! It's working!
Does this mean your phone is working again or the flashing is working?

*crosses fingers for phone*

EDIT: If indeed your phone is back alive, it'd be great if you had time to post a seperate thread explaining the dead phone flashing proceedure since the PDF and software don't seem to match, like you said...

Last edited by cbkm; 04-11-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 PM

It is indeed working again with .41 generic firmware. I've uninstalled phoenix now in order to restore my phone's settings etc but I'll work from memory asap and try to make it as detailed as possible.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:59 PM

cbkm is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear your phone is back up and running again and that the dead phone flash worked!

(Don't forget to use NSS to reset your product code to match the label )

Old 04-11-2006, 05:34 PM

I've been left with an odd bug where the phone still thinks the USB cable's connected and stays in PC Suite mode.

Which is fine if I want to plug it back in and use PC Suite but it means it's not giving me the option of selecting Data mode unless I reboot. (EDIT: Just did FOTW update to .42 and it's fixed this problem)

Ok. So how did I rescue my bricked phone?

I followed the phoenix installation guide linked earlier ... http://www.seventy4.co.uk/weblog/200...stall-phoenix/

Then I installed the firmware file I downloaded a while ago but didn't have the guts to use. it was version .41

After it was installed I hooked up my phone. I clicked File...Manage Connections and added a USB connection. Then I clicked File...Open Product and chose the RM-92 (N80) option.

Once this was done I went to the SW Update (can't remember which menu option it was under!) and it went through detecting the phone. After much cable waggling and opening and closing of the SW Update box it finally found the phone. At the top it should say RM-92 and then you select which region your phone is. I chose EURO 1 for my own.

It will then find the firmware files you installed earlier and you just click start.

I daren't breath on it the second time around and it went ok until it came to the end where it said it was rebooting the phone and wanting to run a diagnostic on it. For some reason this timed out but I removed the battery from the phone and tried the power button and it switched back on.

For some reason my PC Suite back up I made of the phone hasn't really put anything back on the phone. I may end up resetting it to factory defaults and installing software from scratch. But it did find TomTom and I'm happy to report it at least boots up. I'll give tomtom a try later.

Only bug I've found so far is that it doesn't always find my Wifi network where it never had this issue before.

I hope that makes sense. It will probably make more sense when you've got the software open in front of you.

Last edited by WPKenny; 04-11-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:22 AM

Mensis is on a distinguished road
another happy N80 user updated his firmware.

I'm on vodafone, had 3.18 i believe. and the damn vodafone woudnt want to update it. worse yet, nokia center told me they'd charge me 40 quid for firmware update (huh?).

just finished updating via NSS and NSU, worked flawlessly.
but after the update i went over to device manager to check if FOTA works... and suprisingly it found a newer version of firmware
V4.0623.0.41 -> V4.0623.0.42
oh well, the newer the better i guess.

thanks for the awesome guide.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:35 PM

VetDuarte is on a distinguished road
Hello, all.
I'm stuck here with v3 firmware. There is no Nokia Center here, in Rio or anywhere else in Brazil.
The phone is mostly OK, but I can't, for instance, do a backup to the card. And it has rebooted twice last week (first time it does it). I want to upgrade, but as many of you, NSU won't find an update.
Mine seems to be Asian (there's some small characteres on the 1,2,3,4 and * buttons), but it is unlocked and unbranded.
It displays a lot of language options, and I use Portuguese (PT). I would like to know if any of you know which is the right code for a black N80 with Portuguese language, so I can change it and try the update again.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:41 PM

martinkerswell is on a distinguished road
Hi all,after updating my firmware to generic from orange, I have just updated it to v4.0623.0.42 using fota with wifi.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 PM

elton is on a distinguished road
Superb thread, job done.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 AM

forbeisgunn is on a distinguished road
n6680

whats the difference between updating your phone using the software updater by the nokia, from using the generic firmware?

Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM

skibeaver is on a distinguished road
Success

Finally managed the update using NSS and NSU used Euro 1 stainless code 0529378
Had an issue with NSU starting but think it was Norton preventing it opening
Used a computer at worked and it sailed through effortlessly
Updated to .42 using device manager
TomTom 6 works a treat and everything else seems ok
Many thanks to all here who made it possible