All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-08-2010, 09:19 AM

craigyb is on a distinguished road
Time to leave...

I have to say a big thanks to everyone that has posted onto the forums with useful information about apps/updates/issues etc. It has helped me tame the N97 and almost make it almost useable. Yep I take the battery out every few days and curse at how slow it is and wether I know what it's trying to do. GPS issues don't bother me, camera was OK, memory space was excellent on the external storage, not so hot on the C drive.

But now it has been sent away to the great recyclers in the sky and replaced with the Galaxy S, which actually does what it says on the tin and not stumble at the first hurdle.

In the N97's defence I have to say it's the longest I've kept a mobile, purely because of the rSAP capabilities that not many other makers seem to have adopted. I would have been upto an Iphone 4G by now if Apple had supported bluetooth and rSAP from the start, but it seems all Linux based phone OS's suffer the same deficienses except for the Galaxy S.

So the Galaxy S and Android is the way forward, soon to be followed by the Galaxy S Pro with a qwerty slide out keyboard.

All the best chaps and I seriously hope the N8 is not another N97, but I suspect it will be.

Old 13-08-2010, 03:27 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
And another one bites the dust. When will this mass exodus of power users register anywhere in Nokia or even some of the AAS contributors? I would think there's no more than 10 of the early N97 movers in this forum left with Nokia devices now. Is the N8 going to bring them back?

Yeah it maybe the Geeknoscenti but these are your evangelists and proselytisers developers enthusiasts and also a lot of profit.

Yeah Nokia maybe selling OK at the bottom end (OK only tho) what happens when today's upper mid hardware is low end in 18months time ?

It's an organisation failing in slow motion seemingly because it's too bureaucratic to respond to a changing environment or even have put sufficient development in place to lead and control the changes and development of the smartphones it anticipated. It's NGage all over again.

Old 13-08-2010, 07:30 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I'm still lurking (not leapt into iPhone 4 yet - I'm not an early adopter anymore, N97 saw to that) in the hope of some miracle firmware solving all my problems. SPB Mobile Shell helps a bit, but I certainly no longer care for the N97. I have contempt for it. And that makes me sad...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 16-08-2010, 07:01 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Sadly whilst nobody hears anything from Nokia, this kind of posting is becoming all too familiar.

Old 17-08-2010, 04:34 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky! View Post
Sadly whilst nobody hears anything from Nokia, this kind of posting is becoming all too familiar.
Common thread then??

Old 17-08-2010, 10:33 PM

eccleshill is on a distinguished road
Will be able to upgrade in a couple of months. Won't be a Nokia.

Old 18-08-2010, 07:51 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccleshill View Post
Will be able to upgrade in a couple of months. Won't be a Nokia.
Why not?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
unexpected woke up to a cracked LCD on my N97 a couple of days ago. iPhone currently with DHL...

Good luck with your N97's y'all... It's been interesting...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
LLAP

enjoy your iPhone and those pesky Birds

Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 AM

leghunter is on a distinguished road
flash a new and good DIY firmware,your miserable will be over.
regardless what phone you use, if you cannot find a good firmware (ROM as in WM world),then the phone is bad for you.

Ok,you have best computer in the world,but if the system you install is bad,then it's useless, dont blame the computer,blame the system.

Old 19-09-2010, 06:20 PM

edie209 is on a distinguished road
Well thats me too bought a Samsung Galaxy S today and sold the N97 to a recycling website for 141 which I suppose aint too bad.

Its been fun while it lasted ...well sort of, I have just got fed up with having to make do all the time when I see other people using their phones without crashes and all the bugs.

This was meant to be a "Flagship Phone" Nokia well I think it will be my last Nokia.

Thanks everyone for the tips and the help

Old 30-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Teece is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Shame on Nokia and the N97

I'm sure this is what Nokia wants to happen as we all abandon this flagship phone, i.e. the N97 dies a slow painful death quietly and out of sight..

Then Nokia will try and suck us in again with phones like of the N8 hoping that we forget how easily they sold us a dud and then left us too it.

Old 30-09-2010, 11:13 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I think the N97 has made customers more wary of the next major Nokia phone. Everyone is aware of the issues with the N97 and when the N8 is released, I'm sure it will be scrutinised to a high degree to see if it exhibited any of the major shortcomings the N97 had.

The one really indepth review of the N8 (on techradar.com) I have seen so far, the reviewer made it know that the memories of the N97 still remain. At least that reviewer did not find any major flaws that plagued the old N97 when it was first released.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
The N8 is suppose to have been what the N97 should have - 2 years ago, it would have been very competitive and killed the market. Its too little, too late with 2 year old technologies.

Then again, the Nokia engineers are all coming out to say that they had not been allowed to contribute any changes to the OS/hardware over the last few years by the senior execs - a sign that Nokia has just been too greedy sitting on their laurels and done sweet F' all.

Good ridance to the CEO and Vice-Chairman..

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
One of the shortcomings of the N97 were the reviewers!

I for one do not trust these any of so-called mobile reviewers any more. They should have had ample chance to put the N97 through its paces and honestly tell the world what they found. Instead a great number of people wasted a great deal of money and had their expectations shattered.

To top it off, rather than work hard to retain an otherwise loyal customer base, Nokia has chosen to "cut their losses" and have abandoned N97 owners.

No updates in Sept. 2010.

No discounts on newer models.