All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-11-2009, 08:06 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Nokia are still gathering new members for the Symbian Foundation board; I guess this is what you meant with "running down Symbian"...

And how can you say "all the big investment has gone to maemo"? Do you have evidence to support this theory? I suspect not...

Old 16-11-2009, 11:47 AM

tropical is on a distinguished road
So is the n 900 replacing e90

Hello, AM DUE TO UPGRADE MY E90 AND HAVING LOOKED AT THE REVIEW ON N 900 , I HAVE TO SAY VERY TEMPTING.BUT IS IT A REPLACEMENT FOR THE MOTHERSHIP E90 SERIES!!!

Old 16-11-2009, 11:59 AM

As a long-time E90 user, I am also curious as to whether the N900 can be considered a true replacement (I guess it is a replacement in terms of size and weight)

Old 16-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

corporated sampans

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
Nokia are still gathering new members for the Symbian Foundation board

Sure, like anyone in the industry even cares. The "Symbian Foundation" is just a nice way of packaging the bad news. The OEMs and developers have moved onto Android, Apple.

[quote]Do you have evidence to support this theory?/QUOTE]

Maybe you should follow Nokia more closely - it's official strategy. Maemo is the high-end platform now, Symbian is going where S40 is today - a workhorse. Do you invest in past legacy platforms (Symbian) or the future (Maemo)?

Look at the size of the Symbian expo 2009 to previous years. Two new Symbian phones in 12 months from licensees (Omnia and Satio). Samsung pulling out of Symbian. No roadmap for 800 pixel wide Symbian devices. Everyone seems to be able to see this except you - did you come late to the party?

Old 16-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure, like anyone in the industry even cares. The "Symbian Foundation" is just a nice way of packaging the bad news. The OEMs and developers have moved onto Android, Apple.

Do you have evidence to support this theory?

Maybe you should follow Nokia more closely - it's official strategy. Maemo is the high-end platform now, Symbian is going where S40 is today - a workhorse. Do you invest in past legacy platforms (Symbian) or the future (Maemo)?

Look at the size of the Symbian expo 2009 to previous years. Two new Symbian phones in 12 months from licensees (Omnia and Satio). Samsung pulling out of Symbian. No roadmap for 800 pixel wide Symbian devices. Everyone seems to be able to see this except you - did you come late to the party?
Even if you accept that Maemo will be for high-end devices and Symbian for lower-end devices, which I don't BTW, that hardly signifies the end of Symbian. And as for "official strategy", where do you get that from? Have Nokia announced that's what they're going to do? If they have made such an announcement, I certainly haven't heard about it....

Old 16-11-2009, 05:17 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Samsung pulling out of Symbian.
BS.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_deni...-news-1253.php

Old 17-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Unregistered

Obviously, Samsung will not place Symbian in their top end smartphones anymore. It is just a clever tactical strategy for Samsung to say it is still in while at the same time they are developing and promoting their new platform aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post

Old 17-11-2009, 01:33 AM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Time will tell. Samsung is one of the main members of Symbian Foundation.

Old 17-11-2009, 11:38 AM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisq View Post
Time will tell. Samsung is one of the board members of Symbian Foundation.
fixed for accuracy.

And i agree, Samsung isn't dropping Symbian. That ONE, single story had everyone running around like headless (brainless?) chickens.

Old 17-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Unregistered

Wink

Perhaps Samsung adopts the same strategy as Nokia does. That is to use own platform (Maemo for Nokia and Bada for Samsung) for high end smartphones and continue to use symbian for other lower end models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
fixed for accuracy.

And i agree, Samsung isn't dropping Symbian. That ONE, single story had everyone running around like headless (brainless?) chickens.
Ads

Old 18-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Talking

Quote:
I think it would be wise to rename the website "allaboutmaemo.com".Symbian is dying, clues are everywhere, samsung is droping it, nokia is gradually droping it.....
http://thereallymobileproject.com/20...eries-by-2012/

Now, do you believe me? Go grap the domain before it`s too late