All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-08-2009, 03:32 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
New OS = No software

Before you yell "Its Linux!" - granted, but nothing has been compiled yet for it and will take months before you can get enough software to be at a usable stage other than whats on it.

S60V5 is going through the same stupid issues.. (and not getting any traction)
All this whilst we drool over the software catalogue of the iphone? man..

It wouldnt matter if it had a 10Ghz processor in it if there are no applications for it to run.. Its the same with the Samsung i8910 - so what if you have a friggin Cortex in it, when there is NOTHING on the market to use it? Sigh.. just wish people can get over the specs bullsh*t.. The N95 with its 3D acceleration and advanced CPU abilities never got utilised to its full potential.. Let alone another product set with another operating system!

I really wish that stupid Nokia just stick to one common platform to develop by..

Old 27-08-2009, 03:35 PM

alienwarez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
New OS = No software

Before you yell "Its Linux!" - granted, but nothing has been compiled yet for it and will take months before you can get enough software to be at a usable stage other than whats on it.

S60V5 is going through the same stupid issues.. (and not getting any traction)
All this whilst we drool over the software catalogue of the iphone? man..

It wouldnt matter if it had a 10Ghz processor in it if there are no applications for it to run.. Its the same with the Samsung i8910 - so what if you have a friggin Cortex in it, when there is NOTHING on the market to use it? Sigh.. just wish people can get over the specs bullsh*t.. The N95 with its 3D acceleration and advanced CPU abilities never got utilised to its full potential.. Let alone another product set with another operating system!

I really wish that stupid Nokia just stick to one common platform to develop by..
there are a few apps

http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/

Old 27-08-2009, 04:49 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I already have these applications on my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

Let me say that free software is generally worth what you pay for it.

For example: Gnumeric (spreadsheet application).

While it seems to do things "okay" for most simple purposes, the hardy souls who ported it from the desktop Linux platforms have not fully "Hildonized" the interface (i.e. for small limited touchscreen use).

This means that many of the internal features for formatting a cell cannot be used as you either cannot read them on the screen or they just don't function.

The true measure of whether software is useful and ready for public consumption is to try to do some real work with it. A second consideration is how well it is documented. Most of the Maemo freeware has little or no documentation ("we're programmers, not technical writers!").

I do look forward to the N900, but after getting suckered by Nokia on the N97, I probably will NOT pre-order.

Old 27-08-2009, 07:36 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
The guy I live with through the week was going on about the RX-51 and how he might get one. After doing a quick google search, I realise its the N900! He was talking about the spec and saying it Linux based.

It does look nice though I have to say, BUT after the experience with the N97, or should I say lack of it, I think I'm waiting for the next iPhone ( 4 ? ) to come out. Had enough of Nokia for a while and Symbian. As I'm a keen user of Apple and Mac anyway, I tend to conclude that Symbian is a bit like Windows - its a bit clunky and not that user friendly .
RM-530
E72-1

Old 28-08-2009, 11:41 AM

dmcconachie is on a distinguished road
nottmbantam - the N900 is not Symbian

As for profile view. As I understand it, tilting the phone into profile will activate the phone menu (contacts, dialer etc) but cancelling that will enable profile view to be used for the rest of the phone. Presume, if it's not available already, a future firmware will allow the auto-activation of the phone menu as an option.

Last edited by dmcconachie; 28-08-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Stupid typos!

Old 28-08-2009, 12:10 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
N900 looks fairly promising, but it's Nokia... Ooh erm...

The phone I thought I would go with next, an android, doesn't look so promising, as all of its apps in its download centre are Java based.

So Fennec, the mobile version of Firefox, looks like it'll be coming to Windows Mobile, Maemo, iPhone could now be a possibility, they forever drag their heals on Symbian, and they sound like they've ruled Android out.

I must say, I totally dislike the idea of Java apps. I don't know why.
Ads

Old 28-08-2009, 06:12 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcconachie View Post
nottmbantam - the N900 is not Symbian

As for profile view. As I understand it, tilting the phone into profile will activate the phone menu (contacts, dialer etc) but cancelling that will enable profile view to be used for the rest of the phone. Presume, if it's not available already, a future firmware will allow the auto-activation of the phone menu as an option.
Hi, yes I realise it's not Symbian, I was just making my own observation on my experience of Nokia and Symbian.

As i've just forked out a hefty amount on the N97 ( bought it as a handset only, sim free ) I want to get at least a year out of it, don't want to be shelling out for another Nokia just yet....

Had the N95 for two years, and still think that's a great phone, bit of a cult status.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 31-08-2009, 07:46 AM

dmcconachie is on a distinguished road
Still on the N95 I got on launch day! Really hoping the N900 is finally the phone that gets me off it!

Old 31-08-2009, 10:18 PM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I already have these applications on my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

Let me say that free software is generally worth what you pay for it.

For example: Gnumeric (spreadsheet application).

While it seems to do things "okay" for most simple purposes, the hardy souls who ported it from the desktop Linux platforms have not fully "Hildonized" the interface (i.e. for small limited touchscreen use).

This means that many of the internal features for formatting a cell cannot be used as you either cannot read them on the screen or they just don't function.

The true measure of whether software is useful and ready for public consumption is to try to do some real work with it. A second consideration is how well it is documented. Most of the Maemo freeware has little or no documentation ("we're programmers, not technical writers!").

I do look forward to the N900, but after getting suckered by Nokia on the N97, I probably will NOT pre-order.
To me this is the major problem with linux, Torvalds himself said he was not interested in UI and usability only the kernel and everyone else seems to follow.

A lack of UI consistency between applications and referring to your comment about documentation the software is geared towards technically minded people and geeks so as you said documentation can be sparse.

I was watching a flame war recently when a fellow asked for help and the first response said to google for the answer and the next couple attacked the OP for not doing things differently in the first place, only after about 6 or so responses did someone try to help him. Those use google answers really piss me off as people can spend the time posting some entirely unhelpful comment yet not not be bothered to help at all.

The other thing I see is a problem with linux is the lack of vision, coders spend their time making linux versions of Windows and Apple applications and their associated UI. There is no one person or group saying this will work or throw this out, there are numerous distributions and when there are disagreements they fork their distribution splintering their market share.

If Nokia take the time to make the UI their own and polish it until it shines they will have a winner. I see this as similar to what Apple have done with BSD maybe they are looking to eventually do a similar thing with their entry into the laptop market. I really hope they succeed as competition in the marketplace drives everybody to do better.