All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
This Thread's purpose
Clearly it was in the beginning to approach Rafe for his direct input toward solving a problem. But now it's taken a life of its own, and has become a sub-forum within the bigger forum.
The downside is that it comes up within a little window, so one cannot see any thread headings, and whenever one looks at posts - many of which are most interesting - it resets to the top.
Can I make a plea that its function be reviewed please?
I'm not quite sure what you mean here?

You're right this thread probably has outlived its usefulness, but until I can get get a generic FAQ / Tips post sorted out its probably easier to leave it as a reference.

Old 23-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Shaolyen is on a distinguished road
This thread is still useful, and while an FAQ would be nice I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Which brings me onto my questions...

- Battery life. I've done a lot of searching on this forum and others, and read mostly conflicting reports on battery life with the N95. In this thread Rafe commented on it once or twice, saying that it was too early to tell what the performance was like. Now the phone has been out for some time, what's the final word on battery life? I've specifically been trying to find out quickly using the GPS functionality drains the batteries, once again the reports have been conflicting. Is there any similar data for music/video playback?

- I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist, or was I dreaming?

- Wi-Fi roaming. Is it possible to save multiple Wi-Fi profiles, and have the N95 connect to whichever network has the strongest signal? Or do you have to manually switch to a different profile whenever you want to connect?

Old 23-04-2007, 09:10 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolyen View Post
I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist
Yes this functionality exists. I've used it, as Shozu doesn't have a dedicated N95 version available yet (although I've since found out that the version for the N93 works just as well).

Can't be specific about battery life but I've found it lasts as well as, if not a little bit better than, my previous N80's. However, that is not with the GPS. That does suck it dry -you'll only get several hours of active GPS use, with the screen backlight on permanently. About the same as playing a game on it non-stop :-)

I've several WiFi profiles saved but tend not to roam to them, rather just switching on when needing. WiFi does drain battery and leaving it on permanently is a recipe for flat battery in no-time-flat.

Last edited by chrsfrwll; 23-04-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Old 24-04-2007, 06:33 AM

Doggen is on a distinguished road
Quote:

- I'm sure once upon a time I heard that the N95 would be able to post photos taken directly to flickr, but I haven't seen any screenshots showing this. Does this functionality exist, or was I dreaming?
im not sure , but is this what your looking for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafebla...7594497769867/

Old 24-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Shaolyen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggen View Post
im not sure , but is this what your looking for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafebla...7594497769867/
I was interested in seeing the actual process of taking a photo and then sending it to flickr.... I haven't been able to find anything on it. :(

Old 24-04-2007, 10:07 AM

Mulett is on a distinguished road
Standby Screen

Hi there - and thank you for setting up this very useful thread.

Just a quick question - I want to personalise my standby screen. At the moment, I have:
  1. 6 short cuts (which I have selected myself)
  2. a couple of upcoming calendar entries
  3. the WLAN Network notice
  4. the two shortcut keys at the bottom (again, which I have selected)

I would really like to get rid the the WLAN notice and have additional calendar entries showing up. Is this possible?

Also, does anyone know where I can download extra themes for the phone?

Thank you in advance. Paul.

Old 24-04-2007, 10:30 AM

C&F is on a distinguished road
Chinese Dictionary erro T.T

pls help me i have to change my MC to 2GB after that i donno why my dictionary can't work.... when i click dictionary icon "dictionary word infomation missing install word database".....T.T what it this ...im Nokia new user ><HELP

Old 24-04-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I was interested in seeing the actual process of taking a photo and then sending it to flickr.... I haven't been able to find anything on it. :(
I found it simple enough. Once you have a pic in your gallery, Options > Open online service, and select Flickr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot of Online Services.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3622  

Old 24-04-2007, 02:05 PM

seham is on a distinguished road
Smile

I am a new owner of a Nokia N95 and I just downloaded a theme into my phone. If ever the time comes that I get tired of the theme(s) that I installed, how can I remove it from the phone?

Last edited by seham; 24-04-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Ads

Old 24-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Change the theme in Settings and then just delete it from the App Manager screen.

Old 24-04-2007, 04:45 PM

jetsetgo is on a distinguished road
am 4m india am tryin to get a fone 4m my sis whoz der in UK on contract basis den how 2 unlock da fone to make da fone work in india...?

Old 24-04-2007, 05:04 PM

seham is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Change the theme in Settings and then just delete it from the App Manager screen.
Hi again, but I can't delete all the themes that I have downloaded by using App Manager.

Is there another way ?

Old 25-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Alastair is on a distinguished road
What I mean is that the questions and answers posted here - as an example the pictures/flickr posts that follow in this thread - might just as well be in the open forum, rather than in this sticky.
I have suggested in another post that a tips sticky (hidden/undocumented features) would be valuable.
But the Qs & As then should stay in the open forum, where they are easier to read

Alastair

Old 26-04-2007, 07:20 AM

ecstaticax is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi Rafe, thanks for your support.

I've a question for you. My phone bill allows me to have 600minutes for month. On my actual phone, a 6680, I bought Psiloc Extended Log, a software useful to analyze all phone logs, so I can check if I used my bonus calls.
Is there any kind of native "minutes manager" utility on N95?
If not, what can I do? I was thinking about using the internal counter, but can I reset it every month?

Thanks in advance. Regards.

Old 26-04-2007, 12:26 PM

David0203 is on a distinguished road
I got my N95 and now have a few questions.

Maybe this has already been answered, sorry if it has.

I sometimes check my email using my provider's 3G connection, and I also ocasionally browse the net. However when I finish with my email and want to go to the browser I loose the connection and when I access the browser it reconects again. I am paying in time blocks for internet use (which means that I have to pay two time blocks of 5 min even though I could have spent only 1 min checking email). So my first question is:

1. Is there is a way to switch between email and web browser without loosing the connection in the process

Second quesiton.
2. Is there a way to turn of the camera shutter sound?

Thanks