All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-05-2011, 06:05 AM

rootytooty is on a distinguished road
I have a Nokia E7 and a Nokia N8. On my E7 I have Ereader Pro installed. I followed the instructions from one of the members of this forum who said to install it on mass memory, Data, other. I did that and they still don't show up on my E7. I even put them in the mass memory, Data, Other and Books but that didn't work either.

Any advice to what I am doing wrong. The two sample books are there but I am not real interested in them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 21-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Pixel Spartan is on a distinguished road
Data/others is correct. Might not hurt to check the following

1) ereader is installed in mass memory (settings > application manager > installed apps)
2) The ebooks you put in the directory is saved in .pdb format
3) In ereader app make sure the Nokia Sans S60 font is selected (options > text settings)

The above is based on the ereader app on my n8.

If it continues to confound you maybe try the Dorian app. My experience however is that some characters get all wonked out. I could never be bothered to work out the kinks in Calibre since ereader works just fine for me and I love using the highlight/notes feature.

http://dorian.garage.maemo.org/

PS

Last edited by Pixel Spartan; 21-05-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Spelling and extra thought

Old 21-05-2011, 10:02 AM

boothy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Spartan View Post
Data/others is correct. Might not hurt to check the following

3) In ereader app make sure the Nokia Sans S60 font is selected (options > text settings)

http://dorian.garage.maemo.org/

PS
You can use any truetype font by creating a folder on mass memory (if not already there called `resource`then creating a sub folder called `fonts` and then copying truetype fonts to the fonts folder - any font in the folder should then appear in ereader text settings.

A word of warning only put in reource folder on mass memory - I originally created a second resource folder on SD card and for some reason it completely mucked up the ovistore app - do not ask me why

Edit: To copy fonts you will need to be in mass memory mode - the resource folder should already be there but will not be seen in `ovi suite` mode

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 21-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Old 21-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
I have a Nokia E7 and a Nokia N8. On my E7 I have Ereader Pro installed. I followed the instructions from one of the members of this forum who said to install it on mass memory, Data, other. I did that and they still don't show up on my E7. I even put them in the mass memory, Data, Other and Books but that didn't work either.

Any advice to what I am doing wrong. The two sample books are there but I am not real interested in them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
What are your books ? - are they .pdb files ? if not download calibre book management and convert to .pdb files (there is a ereader option in the PDB output section).

Also the ereader app is quite slow in searching mass memory it does take a few seconds for book list to appear. Are the sample books in the data>others folder?

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 21-05-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Old 21-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
....because of their viral marketing

.........if someone with more than a couple of posts history says it works I may just pay for it, otherwise the reviews on Ovi are putting me off......

.....now if they did a 'lite' version for free to get a few people to try it and prove it works fine, then I'm sure a few more full version would be purchased
Hi All

On a quiet Saturday night I have just downloaded Mbooks to try - what a load of utter rubbish - The interface is awful - the settings incredibly minimal - I tried `importing`(this is the apps terminology) a couple of epubs - took forever and crashed once. Does not appear to have any basic text settings such as change of font - the apps design seems much more focused on flogging associated products than reading books - if it was not such a longwinded job I would try and get my money back from ovistore. This app is really not designed for anyone that loves to read.

On the other hand I have also tried Dorian which I think is much better - it certainly seems to format the fonts well. Only slight niggle it would be nice to mirror `tap`page turn positions on vertical axis. Picks up on all my additional ttf fonts in fonts folder. Full screen mode on my N8 does not seem to work all that well - it still retains the blue menu bar at the bottom of screen which occlude the last lines of text

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 21-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 22-05-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi Boothy,
Yes they are PDB and an epub as well. I put them in the same folder Mass storage, Data, others just like those two samples. They are the only ones that show up. I also found another folder with those two books in it so I added my others to that. Neither the pdb or epub books show up.

I do notice when I download an epub book to my PC it comes zipped with a whole bunch of files in it--not just a book file. I am not sure how to install that on my Nokia E7. Do I need to make a new folder, put those files in it and put it on my E7 or how do I go about doing it please.

I will look at Calibre and see what it is like. As a matter of fact I think I might have already downloaded it.

I am surprised that as many of who who like ebooks, that the E7 didn't come with some kind of ebook reader to use or some third party one.

I have used Dorian on my Nokia N900 and it worked fine.

I just tried to install it on my E7 and it got half way through the install and it quite and said it couldn't install it.

Do you have a good link to Dorian so that I am sure I have the correct one for my E7 and my N8 please.

Thanks for the great help.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 22-05-2011, 07:29 AM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
Hi All

On a quiet Saturday night I have just downloaded Mbooks to try - what a load of utter rubbish - The interface is awful - the settings incredibly minimal - I tried `importing`(this is the apps terminology) a couple of epubs - took forever and crashed once. Does not appear to have any basic text settings such as change of font - the apps design seems much more focused on flogging associated products than reading books - if it was not such a longwinded job I would try and get my money back from ovistore. This app is really not designed for anyone that loves to read.

On the other hand I have also tried Dorian which I think is much better - it certainly seems to format the fonts well. Only slight niggle it would be nice to mirror `tap`page turn positions on vertical axis. Picks up on all my additional ttf fonts in fonts folder. Full screen mode on my N8 does not seem to work all that well - it still retains the blue menu bar at the bottom of screen which occlude the last lines of text

Boothy

....many thanks for trying it and posting back your findings Boothy
.........sorry you have wasted your money though

Oh well, the search continues

Old 22-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
Hi Boothy,
Yes they are PDB and an epub as well.
Hi Rootytooty

Ereader Pro will only read pdb files not epub and the pdb file should not be in zip or any sub folder. If you want to read epub files try Albite at the following link - this is a java based reader which is really good - it has many input options and the font readability is better than ereader pro. Download the `HD` version

http://albite.vlexofree.com/reader

Dorian here: https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=1757

I like Dorian also - would just like a little more input control (it seems very awkward to tap page forward at the top of the screen and fix full screen issue I am not sure about full screen problem - it seem to work ok at first but even using the debug mode it still seem sto retain bottom menu bar.

Thanks

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 22-05-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Ads

Old 25-05-2011, 06:24 AM

Thanks Dorian is working great for my epub files. I will try again with Ereader Pro to see why it isn't finding them on my phone. I put them where I they should go but are not showing up in the Library.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 25-05-2011, 09:02 AM

The "them" I am referring to in my previous post is the pdb files. I will look to see how to get them to show up in Ereader Pro.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM

navajeevan is on a distinguished road
i have installed pdb files in folder data/other but its still not showing the books................... i need some help........... i downloaded dorian and tried to convert my pbd files to epbu by calibre.......... but it gave me error mgs.... wz not able to convert those pdb files to epbu....... the books i have in pdb format is medical books downloaded from torrent.......... i want those books in my mobile nokia N8......... please help me.......................

Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navajeevan View Post
i have installed pdb files in folder data/other but its still not showing the books................... i need some help........... i downloaded dorian and tried to convert my pbd files to epbu by calibre.......... but it gave me error mgs.... wz not able to convert those pdb files to epbu....... the books i have in pdb format is medical books downloaded from torrent.......... i want those books in my mobile nokia N8......... please help me.......................

Hi Navajeevan

When installing the software did you choose to install on mass memory ? If you installed to C: it may be worth creating a others folder in the data folder on C - But If installed to C I would suggest reinstalling on E:

I do not have any experience with `technical` pdb files have you tried a simple pdb file to test to see if your setup is correct ? .You can download some free examples or samples from the ereader.com site.

This would not account for not seeing books in app. Also change font to nokia default in text settings just in case app as problem reading selected font or at least change to see if this makes a difference.

Different book formats \viewers have different limitations it may be the error in Calibre is caused by not being able to convert content - is the book DRM protected ? if so that may cause an error.

With reference to calibre - the PDB format may have some limitations in terms of converting non text based content such as diagrams images etc. I have no experience in this - it may be worth posting a query on the calibre forum at www.mobileread.com

Thanks

Boothy

Old 09-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Hi All

Fbreader as finally ported to Symbian 3 in QT you can find it here:

http://www.fbreader.org/symbian/

Bit fiddly to load (seems to require to be online to redownload ?) you seem to need your device connected prior to install albiet running from downloaded file

Touch scrolling seems a bit hit and miss

Still playing with it - it obviously is early days.

Great to have another reader though

Boothy