All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thinking of heading in the Nokia N900's (and Maemo's) direction?

If you're a Symbian OS nut but are sorely tempted to take a long hard look at the Nokia N900 and its Maemo 5 operating system, then head on over today to All About Maemo, our new sister site - why not bookmark it or sign up to RSS news updates? There's also the Twitter account @allaboutmaemo to 'follow'. Finally, with the Maemo Summit happening today (Rafe's in attendance), there's live blogging going on throughout the day (also embedded below). Keep up!

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

11:02 allaboutmaemo.com is broke. Blank screen.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:58 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Boot-up

The start is there . Google still has problems to find the site .

Regards jApi NL

Old 09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Unregistered

I'm not too worried about google not finding it, but announcing that there's a new site with a direct link to it, only to find it totally blank, is a bit (what's the best word I can use?) unfortunate...
Ads

Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM
maemomaemo

Why not simply launch AllAboutEverything? It's really funny how everybody now instantly becomes an expert on Maemo. Symbian Guru became Maemo Guru, Allaboutsymbian is now also Allaboutmaemo. My Symbian also say they're going to launch My Maemo (but they at least have the device and posted an extensive review of it). Do you guys at least own the device? How can one call himself Maemo Guru without even spending an hour with the device? Funny.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by maemomaemo View Post
Why not simply launch AllAboutEverything? It's really funny how everybody now instantly becomes an expert on Maemo. Symbian Guru became Maemo Guru, Allaboutsymbian is now also Allaboutmaemo. My Symbian also say they're going to launch My Maemo (but they at least have the device and posted an extensive review of it). Do you guys at least own the device? How can one call himself Maemo Guru without even spending an hour with the device? Funny.
Which 'device'? What particular Maemo device are you referring to?

The N770 from 2005, the N800 from early 2007 or the N810 from late 2007?

You think Maemo is something new?

Funny.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Funny, allaboutmaemo.com works fine for me.... there was an SQL crash last night, but it's been OK today, I think?

And, yes, many of the AAS team have been playing with Maemo in various forms, on and off, for two years now..... Rafe and Tzer2 are quite knowledgeable.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

FYI: I've just tried it with some other browsers; it fails (ie. is totally blank) with Firefox and IE, but works fine with Google Chrome and Opera 10. Very strange.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Addendum: it works in Firefox with FF rendering, but not with IE rendering enabled. So it looks like AAM is the first website in the world which refuses to work properly under IE (I have version 6 at work).

Old 09-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
FYI: I've just tried it with some other browsers; it fails (ie. is totally blank) with Firefox and IE, but works fine with Google Chrome and Opera 10. Very strange.
The quality control is almost Nokia-esque.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
maemomaemo2

Quote:
The N770 from 2005, the N800 from early 2007 or the N810 from late 2007? You think Maemo is something new? Funny.
I did not say that Maemo is something new. It's actually much older than you think it is, as it's not just N770, N800 or N810, but it's simply Linux. What I wrote was than I have never seen before a single word about previous Maemo tablets or Linux in general on the sites I mentioned and now they suddenly become Maemo-Gurus, etc., which is what I consider really funny. I'd like to learn how one can become a Maemo Guru in just one day, or maybe a week, as I'd like to become one that quickly myself.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'm sorry to hear people have had problems accessing the site. I'll be looking to this in more detail. All I can say it is coming up fine for me in Firefox, Opera, Chrome and IE (one rendering issue)... However clearly others are having problems. There's a limit to what I can do on the road though. The site has soft launched (in beta) in time for the Maemo Summit - so a work in progress.

If anyone sees any error messages I would appreciate it if they could post them here. Thanks.

I'm not claiming to be a maemo expert to the same level of my Symbian knowledge (though I'm a long time Maemo user - still use an N810 for couch surfing) - we all start from somewhere. That does not prevent me reporting on the news and information. When writing about mobile there's no way to be an expert about everything and really this is a journalistic issue - a good journalist can write about anything given sufficient research etc. Clearly there are cross overs between two Nokia platforms and mobile in general. I'm also attending Maemo Summit to learn more and, hopefully provide, useful coverage.

I'd also point out that Tzer2 is a long time Maemo user (and Maemo blogger). I'm more than happy to welcome other contributors to AAM (same as AAS).

Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by maemomaemo2 View Post
I did not say that Maemo is something new. It's actually much older than you think it is, as it's not just N770, N800 or N810, but it's simply Linux. What I wrote was than I have never seen before a single word about previous Maemo tablets or Linux in general on the sites I mentioned and now they suddenly become Maemo-Gurus, etc., which is what I consider really funny. I'd like to learn how one can become a Maemo Guru in just one day, or maybe a week, as I'd like to become one that quickly myself.
I'm aware of the Debian linux on which Maemo is based. I'm also aware of when Maemo devices started being available, which are the dates I gave.

As the AAS people have already posted that they have been using Maemo devices for quite a long time, I don't understand why you are suggesting a day or a week. Nor do I understand why you would expect to see a single word about Maemo or linux on a Symbian site.

I've owned 770, 800 and 810 for considerably more than 1 week. In al that time I never felt the need to talk about it on Symbian sites.