All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-12-2010, 03:05 AM

phessler is on a distinguished road
multiple merging / duplicate contacts with ovi sync

sadly, due to ovi sync, I get duplicate contacts on my n8. I only sync with ovi, and with no other devices.

however, merging the dups is a total pain in the ass, because I cannot select more than two entries at a time. Often times, I get 3x of the same person, and so I have to merge two, then merge that with the remaining one.

Is there a known fix, or an announcement that this will be fixed in PR1.1?

Old 18-12-2010, 05:30 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer how I fixed that

I had this issue when I imported my contacts from SIM card and a contacts list I had from my previous device.

I made sure I sorted out the list on the computer ...

then marked and deleted every contact on the phone (ie cleared the list)

then sync'd ..

Its much easier to sort the list out on the computer.

good luck!
Ads

Old 07-04-2011, 03:27 AM

jb8967 is on a distinguished road
OVI Sync Issues - Never "Finnish-ed"

One of my biggest gripes about OVI, aside from having to re-login when moving to different services within the portal...is the incessant DUPLICATION of CONTACTS with auto sync. Forget any attempt to synch with Outlook...this only compounds the issue.

Everytime I sync between the Suite, the OVI "cloud", and the phone...contacts are DOUBLED. I have now set OVI Suite (PC) to manual sync in order to avoid ALL databases being polluted with duplications on top of duplications. It really is a joke of a service.

The best part...when you go to OVI on the web and try to delete duplicate contacts, you have to individually click on each one. You are also limited to 30 per delete cycle. What a P.I.T.A.

Now, if you actually have 400 contacts and the system does 2 backups...you now have 1200 contacts across every database in the sync circle. Great. Try the delete process now!

The best part...this is an OLD issue. Maybe Elop got it right to fire so many programmers. Based on OVI it seems that half of Nokia's developer staff are drunk on Finnish Vodka most of time?