All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia Multiscanner pops up

You've got to love these Nokia utilities that get unofficially shifted from one device to another. Multiscanner, a dual purpose card scanner and general text optical character recogniser (OCR), is taken from the E71 and E66 but seems to work well on other S60 phones, according to SymbianV3... I did try it on the N82 but the brightness of the flash made the OCRing of text too tricky, it seems. Strike one for LED flash after all?

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
N85 is S60 device too. No luck here. Any pointers.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

nokia is playing catch-up. the samsung i8510 has this app already pre-installed.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM

chlettn is on a distinguished road
How is Nokia playing catch-up when it has been available on the E71 and the E66, both available well before the i8510? Please elaborate...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:07 PM
AmitKumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hih View Post
N85 is S60 device too. No luck here. Any pointers.
It is also working on my N85. Perhaps it has some issues on FP3. Has anyone tried this on N96 or N78?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 PM
AmitKumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKumar View Post
It is also working on my N85. Perhaps it has some issues on FP3. Has anyone tried this on N96 or N78?
I meant:
It is _NOT_ working on my N85. Perhaps it has some issues on FP3. Has anyone tried this on N96 or N78?

sorry for the mistake.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Unregistered

"You've got to love these Nokia utilities that get unofficially shifted from one device to another"

Isn't this some sort of warez/piracy then, Steve?
Ads

Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM

bullroar is on a distinguished road
The text scanner is really rather good. Works on a N95 Classic although I had to restart the phone for some reason before it would work. Card scanner doesn't seem to work.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 PM

maartenmk is on a distinguished road
I did get it to work with my N82, but only by taking pictures with the normal camera app, in close-up mode, and got the best results with some exposure correction.
A bit laborious and the result was not perfect, but it was nearly dark in the room, I assume it will work better in daylight.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 AM
stuartd

Card scanner and OCR works fine on 8gb n95. Curiously, even at at the highest resolution it refuses to scan large amounts of text - doing a paragraph at a time seems to work quite well.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@unregistered: Warez/piracy? Nope. Those are clearly aimed at defrauding a company of sales of a commercial application. This is simply shifting a freebie on one device over to another, similar device. Nokia even let it be hosted on MOSH etc.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:54 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
This is simply shifting a freebie on one device over to another, similar device.
No longer hosted on MOSH.

Equally, it is less of an issue of money changing hands over this specific software and more an issue of license. If the software is not licensed for use on your handset, it is not to be used on your handset. That is piracy.

Same deal as installing windows on 2 machines, it is outside of the license, it is piracy.

NB: different unregistered

Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Unregistered

To clarify the previous post:

Same deal as installing windows on 2 machines, it is outside of the license, it is piracy. EVEN if you only use windows on one machine at a time, without uninstalling. That requires two licenses.

btw IANAL

Old 10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I have hidden the news story as I think there are legal issues with this. I do appreciate the app is out there and people can find it if they wish, but AAS does not condone the sue of illegal software.