All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
Truphone or Fring?

which is best or is another internet phone app better?

Old 16-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi Liam548

I am using and have been using Fring for a long time now on various devices and really do think it is excellent application especially as it is free, but i only use Skype or Skype out. I looked at True phone and for me just found the amount of worked involved to set it up to be unnecessary but i suppose it really depends on just what each of us feel they need an app to do. But if you are a Skype user it really does all you need without the need for anything other than your user name and password plus of course Fring also has plenty of other services should you want or need them.

Marc

Old 16-12-2007, 04:29 PM

just installed truphone and the in built wizard set it up in seconds. very easy.

What does fring do that truphone doesnt? calls are still chargeable arnt they?

Old 16-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi Liam

Only Skypeout calls are chargeable same as with as with Skype on your computer Skype to Skype calls are free if using WiFi or you have an unlimited Data plan that allows VOIP.

The services Fring offer are
Google Talk
Twitter

I don't what if any charges these other services incur as i don't use them but i would imagine there are details on the Fring website @www.Fring.com

Marc

Last edited by Dogmann; 17-12-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Old 17-12-2007, 09:52 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
I looked at True phone and for me just found the amount of worked involved to set it up to be unnecessary
Did you try the latest version? All you need to do is launch a .sis file to install and the wizard does all the work for you, assuming you already have an account set up. Nothing further to do; it sets all settings and registers your phone on the Truphone network. Can't get any simpler.

Old 17-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Fring can manage TruPhone, but TruPhone cant manage fring.

Theres nothing wrong with having both ... Fring is more of a chat client as well as a SIP channeler for your chosen SIP account...

I use Sipgate on it and its fine, but not as good as the dedicated SIP client in the phone for Sipgate.

On fring, you have the option to chat via the services Dogman has said above. Equally though you could just DL TruPhone and WinLIve! and have them both running, or you could DL Fring and have that managed them, plus ICQ and GTalk, Skype and Twitter.

Think Agile Messenger style.

Old 17-12-2007, 12:00 PM

@chrsfrwll

As i said i only use Skype so how ever easy it may be to open an account or even set up for that matter i just don't need it as Skype handles all my needs which are free Skype to Skype or Skype out calls if the other person doesn't have Skype. So what ever Truephone offers i just have no need for an additional service.

Marc

Old 17-12-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmann View Post
As i said i only use Skype
OK, sorry, misunderstanding. Just thought you'd decided Truphone was no good because you found the installation process a pain, not because of your exclusivity with Skype.

As it happens, I use Skype as well, though to a lesser degree as I've been enjoying free Truphone calls all year (equivalent "Skype Out") and Skype has taken a bit of a back seat. This may change once Truphone start charging for their "out" calls, though given the ease with which Truphone integrates with the N95, possibly not. Although I tried Fring and IM+ Skype, I never found them as easy to use for calls as Truphone. However, Skype does have the advantage of being able to send and receive files during the call, something Truphone can't do, and something I have used quite a lot recently.

Old 17-12-2007, 02:54 PM

truphone installs a program and it runs in the background all the time i believe. Even though it doesnt show to be running.
i know this because it connects right away to my home network.

Isnt there a wa of using the inbuilt internet phone app thats in the n95 firmware with the truphone setttings rather than having to use the truphone app?

I dont really want it running in the background and searching for my home network every 15 seconds running my battery down. I would prefer to have the settings therein case i wanted to actually make a net call but not having i running and connected all the time.

Anyone know how to go about this?

I installed truphone without having an account the wizard even set my account up too.

So now I have an account can i just use the settings?

Old 17-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam548 View Post
truphone installs a program and it runs in the background all the time i believe.........I dont really want it running in the background and searching for my home network every 15 seconds running my battery down.
True, Truphone will autoconnect to your home network when it detects it BUT it has negligable affect on battery life when not in range. I have Truphone on my N95 and have not noticed any deterioration in battery life when out of range. I disable Roaming, which prevents it actively looking and trying to connect at every WiFi spot it comes across, and it will only auto-connect when in range of my home network. My battery life is the same whether I have Truphone installed or not. I get a day's use out of it either way. (my worst "battery consumption" is when I leave 3G enabled, as I am in a weak signal area, and that just sucks the life out of my battery)

Old 17-12-2007, 06:26 PM

does fring connect automatically just the same?

Old 17-12-2007, 06:36 PM

Hi all,

It does if you have to Auto start enabled otherwise no and you can choose from a variety of connection options as well to prevent it from connecting and costing you money. One of the things i like about Fring is since first using it has continued to get better and offer advancements and a better service.

Marc
Ads

Old 17-12-2007, 07:18 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Guys, truphone installer just configures the nokia default VOIP/SIP setttings. once you install truphone, remove the app and the settings will remain, and you can make VOIP calls using the truphone fine. i remove my truphone app as soon as i install it. all it does is setup the truphone number into the phone's internal settings.

that said, i would definitely go with truphone over fring. truphone runs completely on the phone's own VOIP menu. and fring is an app that must run in the background. always better to use native services over an installed app.

Old 17-12-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Guys, truphone installer just configures the nokia default VOIP/SIP setttings. once you install truphone, remove the app and the settings will remain, and you can make VOIP calls using the truphone fine. i remove my truphone app as soon as i install it. all it does is setup the truphone number into the phone's internal settings.

that said, i would definitely go with truphone over fring. truphone runs completely on the phone's own VOIP menu. and fring is an app that must run in the background. always better to use native services over an installed app.
I see
that swings it for me so long as i can remove the app and it will work just the same.

Will it not connect on its own either once ive removed the truphone app if i dont want it to?

Old 17-12-2007, 08:30 PM

The 'app' that gets installed and you see in the app folder is just the wizard that enables you to configure Truphone. There is no benefit in deleting it if you are going to use Truphone's capabilities. It doesn't 'run' in the background and can safely reside installed without taking up significant space.