All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-12-2007, 03:20 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Sim Card Registration Failed.

Anybody find that whever they clean boot their N95, reformat or anything for about the first 15-20 times it boots up after about a min you get "SIM Card Registration Failed" then approx 40s later "Insert SIM Card" which pretty much forces you to reboot the phone.

Its getting most annoying now and ive had the same problem with two T-Mobile n95s and ive had to reboot it about 5 times since posting this.

Old 17-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
Im sure someone did... do a search... I think there was a post about it about 2 week ago.
Ads

Old 18-12-2007, 02:37 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
There was a post about this a few days back, the response was to get another SIM card. Also a few unkind words about T-Mobile. SIM card registration errors are just that - the SIM card could not be connected to the network - frequently the root cause is with the network provider. (blacklisted phone, system outages, etc)

I don't have this problem as often as you, once every few months at most. Usually happens if I'm going through a tunnel or in an elevator or some other enclosed space with poor or no reception.

Another thing you could try doing is to use a pencil eraser to clean up the contacts of your sim card as well as where you stick it in the phone - the gold plated jibbers. (technical term)

Old 18-12-2007, 06:48 AM

PMitchell is on a distinguished road
I already wrote this some days ago:
When I reboot the N95 and do not press any buttons, until it has finished to boot ( I mean REALLY finished!), I do not get such an error. If I DO press any button, it will be there. Reproduceable.

Regards,
PM

Old 18-12-2007, 09:44 AM

Ah right I do notice that the problem is a lot more prevalent in a 3G area. My old pne was doing it then it failed completely and had to go for repair and the new one is doing it also.

If I force it to 2G quite often it will be ok. Its been running fine since yesterday it crashed when I was editing a contact and I just rebooted it now and its doing it again.

One fix is to reboot it into flight mode then turn on the radio and that seems to be ok.

One thing to note is if I change the phone the sim has been used in when you boot up it requests to send a network message but doesent ask me to do this on the N95.

Seeing I have a pin number on the phone not touching any buttons is not an option.

[edit]

Another work around seems to be to Offline Profile the phone
Reboot
Wait for about a minute
General Profile the phone.

Still bloody annoying but ill wait until t-mobile release v20 and I can brand the phone again before winging.

Last edited by Unplugged; 18-12-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 18-12-2007, 09:51 AM

PMitchell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplugged View Post
Seeing I have a pin number on the phone not touching any buttons is not an option.
Hi there,

sorry for being unclear I mean not pressing a button after PIN and/or security code. I also have a pin code, of course

Regards,
PM

Old 18-12-2007, 10:11 AM

lol no problems I dident think I did only to put the pin in :/ I just offlined the phone as soon as I saw the signal get dumped then when I rebooted put it into general and it worked fine.

Is this just a t-mobile specfic thing or is this a general problem? Im wondering if the message that gets sent out when you put the sim in a new phone in attempting to be sent before the phone has loaded the system to do so (maybe is some how contains the IMEI) and the absence of it is forcing the phone to be rejected.

In the good old days when Orange first implemtented IMEI blacklisting you couldent even handshake with the network I always thought this was the case with t-mobile as well.