All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 PM

jonboy is on a distinguished road
Sat Nav Help N95 8gb

hi, i have bought n95 8gb the other day from 3 network in uk.
everytime i look at maps i get charged 1p or 2p.
they told me its free to download and browse maps and addresses and looks at maps in birds eye view.
but i get charged everytime i do something with maps and sat nav.

3 told me i get charged for navigation, for calculating routes, planning routes....

I HATE ALL THIS. I ASSUMED IT WAS ALL FREE UNDER MY MONTHLY PAYMENT.

IS THERE ANYWAY TO PUT SOME OTHER THIRD PARTY SAT NAV INSIDE MY PHONE, ONE WHICH I DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR EVERYTIME I USE IT????????

I HEAR PEOPLE PUT TOM TOM INTO SILVER N95 AND IT WORKS AND ITS FREE.
CAN I DO THIS ON MY 8GB PHONE????

SERIOUSLY WANNA RETURN THIS.

NOKIA MAPS IS NOT FREE!!!!!
SAT NAV IS NOT FREE!!
MY FRIENDS HAVE PDA'S AND WITH SAT NAV ON THEM AND THEY DONT PAY EXTRA FOR USING IT!!!!!!
PEOPLE ARE LAUGHING AT ME SAYING IM GETTTING SHAFTED BY 3.

AM I??

SIGH.

(THANKS FOR ANY INFO)

Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 PM

ive even changed the setting on maps to not connect to network, never.
and still i get charged.

people at 3 dont know.
sometimes they say this, sometime that.
always in disagreement depending on who you speak to

i had probs with wi fi.
3 three people, 3 times, said wi-fi usage is NOT free, theres a charge. even if i use my own access points, in starbucks etc.....
then one 3 guy said it WAS free to use wi fi hot spots.............

8gb is crap. i put half a gb of pics in and the phone started crashing and buttons stopped working and is just fell apart.
that space is unessesary if this happens,,,,everything slows down to snails pace.

this phone is not waht i thought it would be.

cant even make folders in gallery. all vids and pics are mixed.
cant even copy and paste in text
cant even go to a recent contacts list when sending messages.
cant even take a pic in normal holding poistion. awkward pic button position.
cant mark multiple pics in a single mode, way too many buttons to push. to delete messages quickly.

old nokias and lesser nokias can do things THIS ONE CANNOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DISAPPOINTED....DISAPPOINTED MAN.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
you sir have no idea what you are talking about, and obviously have not done any research on the phone you have. you CAN do copy/paste in text. wifi IS FREE. its just like a laptop computer, connect to your wifi AP for free. how would three even know? etc etc. do some research perhaps.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM

hippyguyman is on a distinguished road
I think you need to read the manual and maps instructions before you start ranting on about how bad your phone is, obviously you dont know how to use your phone or any of its features, these phones can be complicated to use, as Roger says do some research and RTFM

Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Unless your prepared to put a bit of effort in on learning about what your phone can do, its better you stick with a S40 device (lower end nokias).

The wifi function on your mobile is free, however if your not using your home network, you might have to pay. Some places have freewireless, some dont.

Maps are free to browse, read up on nokias maploader.

As for everything else, search for that too. If you cant be bothered, I suggest you return the phone and get something simpler.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM

i have read the F manual
i have phoned 3 everyday
they say browsing maps is free
i get charged
data usage

AND NO YOU CAN NOT COPY AND PASTE WHEN WRITING TEXT MESSAGES.
PROVE ME WRONG THEN.....GO ON...............

I AM VERY TECHNICALLY SAVVY.

I ALWAYS GOT CHARGED FOR BROWSING MAPS.
3 TOLD ME CALCULATING ROUTES IS NOT FREE.

WEL...YESTERDAY I FOUND THE POSITIONING SETTINGS...TURNED THEM ALL OFF....AND I CAN CALCULATE ROUTES FOR FREE, SIMULATION FOR FREE, ROUTE PLANNER FOR FREE, AND BROWSE MAPS FOR FREE, AND THE SIMULATION HAS VOICE PROMPTS, FOR FREE,
SO I CAN DO THE ABOVE AND GET TO DESTINATION AND NOT PAY......

THE POSITIONING SETTINGS: WHICH ONES ARE FREE??? IVE JUST TURNED THEM ALL OFF

THREE DONT KNOW S**T

OTHER PDA'S ETC DONT PAY EXTRA FOR SAT NAV
WHY DO WE???

CAN I GET PUT THIRD PARTY SAT NAV ON AND USE FOR FREE??

Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Well you are clearly not very savvy because a number of things you have said there are wrong.

PDA users do *NOT* have free satnav, they have to purchase it first. Theres a few cases where it might have come bundled with satnav software, but that would only be special offers, generally they dont.

As for being charged for browsing maps, did you look at nokia map loader like I said?

And yes you can put a third party satnav on there, but you have to pay for it.

However decide what sort of payment you want to do, subscription (nokia maps) or a bigger cost upfront.

If you already have the maps downloaded, perhaps its AGPS which cost you the few pence.

Which, if you read the manual, you would have known.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 PM

dude i am very savvy
ive read manual, ive phoned them, and they have not helped

PDA people , yes they purchase software, or buy it knock off ebay, or just download it...........a very small cost..........and then when they use it, it is free.
if anything, its just a small cost to get it up and running. then, it is free usage.

when i tell people i have to pay eveytime i use it, they laugh at me.
people are shocked.

i installed map downloader and installed uk maps on my phone.
i think i was getting charged cause position settings were mostly ticked, by default........as soon is unchecked them...........charges stopped, for map browsing, route planning. i can live with this. ....

i dont mind paying for third party software sat nav.......as long as when i use it i dont get charges based on useage...........can i do this? or does all this gps thing HAVE to go VIA my network 3??

which gps will be free? bluetooth...external? internal??
basically i dont wanna deal with 3 network when using sat nav........

3 told me there is NO SUBSCRIPTION with nokia, nothing like that, just option to buy internet add-on from free for data usage.........or just pay as i use....so i just deal with 3.......

yeah, i just turned off ALL positioning settings(internal/external/network etc)(found in settings>general>positioning.........now some functions are free.............

im gonna read the manual.........its not clear tho.........
3 dont know..........its trial and error i find my answers, and this board

sorry if come across as a pr**k

and thanks for help

theres stuff on ebay for peanuts which says i can do what i have mentioned. put other software on and not pay usage charges.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

If you have downloaded the maps, I can only assume its AGPS costing you the money.

Since you obviously dont have a data contract, nokia maps is not for you. Im not sure about version 1, but the beta of 2 goes online to look for things.

If your looking for satnav, without paying for subscription or data usage, you have the choices...

Garmin XT mobile

Copilot live 7

Navigon

Navicore (dont though, as a new version is due soon).

Route66

However my choice would be between Garmin and copilot. Other peoples opinions vary.

If its stupidly cheap on ebay, its a ripoff copy.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:23 PM

COPY/PASTE

in your text, hold the PENCIL key and then press the D-PAD in the direction you want to copy the text. when its highlighted release and then press the PENCIL key again, and it will give you the option to COPY.

if this text is in your inbox, then click options FORWARD and then the text will be highlight capable. DONE. now go do some research and stop complaining about something you dont even know.

AND STOP CALLING THREE AND ASKING THEM QUESTIONS!!!!! YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU ACCURATE INFO??

Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 PM

rogerPodacter = lol.......dude!!! you are the man....thankyou
"if this text is in your inbox, then click options FORWARD and then the text will be highlight capable"......i dont get this part

rip off copy = nothing wrong with taht.....it will work as good as normal copy

so which GPS would i use for garmin?
and 3 would not charge me?

anybody put garmin , Copilot live 7, route66 on new N95 8gb phone on 3 network and are not paying for using it????????????????

thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
rogerPodacter = lol.......dude!!! you are the man....thankyou
"if this text is in your inbox, then click options FORWARD and then the text will be highlight capable"......i dont get this part

rip off copy = nothing wrong with taht.....it will work as good as normal copy

so which GPS would i use for garmin?
and 3 would not charge me?

anybody put garmin , Copilot live 7, route66 on new N95 8gb phone on 3 network and are not paying for using it????????????????

thanks
well if you are trying to copy text from an SMS that you just received, you have to pretend to FORWARD the message so that it opens up the text window where you can actually highlight the text. an SMS in your inbox is read-only in a way. so baiscally just go to forward the message, then copy the text you need, then delete the forward without actually sending the message. then to paste press the pencil key again and paste where you need it.

i have garmin on my n95 8GB. however we are not allowed to talk about that here because you have to use a trick to do it, which is against the rules. i bought garmin for my n95-3 and wanted it on my 8GB. i suggest garmin out of all of them cause its the best IMO. maps are stored on the memory card. i enable A-GPS so my satellite locks are under 15 seconds.

you definitely should unbrand your firmware on the n95 and get rid of anything related to THREE. its the best way to use an n95, no carrier firmware. when i use even nokia maps, it has nothing to do with my carrier. they have no control over the GPS function in my n95 and it should be the same for you. whether you use garmin, nokia maps, tomtom, it isnt the carrier feature. same with wifi. i can connect my laptop to my home wifi, just like i can connect my n95 to my home wifi. hell i dont even have to have a sim card in the phone to connect, so it has nothing to do with THREE. they just dont know what they are talking about, and of course they have to claim "oh its not free blah blah" by default just to cover their a$$. its all generic BS, and i stick to forums for help as much as possible and never deal with my carrier.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM

ROGERP KNOWS!!!
copy and paste works mint. big thanks

so you are with 3, roger?

so i can just buy garmin from garmin....or a copy of it from ebay....or whatever......how much am i looking at £wise......one-off payment yeah? no other on-goin payments?

so do you have to pay for usage roger? or do you use garmin navigation for free now?

unbrand my firmware....?......ive heard about this.....by carrier firmware, you mean 3 related crap?.....by carrier, you mean 3?

so whats the main benefit and drawback of unbranding my firmware......?
and whats the process......

(sorry i know its on the forums before)
yep....im a newbie
Ads

Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
ROGERP KNOWS!!!
copy and paste works mint. big thanks

so you are with 3, roger?

so i can just buy garmin from garmin....or a copy of it from ebay....or whatever......how much am i looking at £wise......one-off payment yeah? no other on-goin payments?

so do you have to pay for usage roger? or do you use garmin navigation for free now?

unbrand my firmware....?......ive heard about this.....by carrier firmware, you mean 3 related crap?.....by carrier, you mean 3?

so whats the main benefit and drawback of unbranding my firmware......?
and whats the process......

(sorry i know its on the forums before)
yep....im a newbie
check your PM. garmin is a one time fee, thats it. i pay for my unlimited data plan and nothing else. i am not on THREE, i am here in the US where 15 dollars gets me unlimited data!! sorry for you guys over there with expensive plans!

there is absolutely no drawbacks of debranding. it only brings advantages of having cleaner firmware, more free RAM, less bloatware, etc. the process will required your phone to be formatted, which means you will have to back up your contacts, pics, videos, etc. and you will have to re-install all your applications again. i suggest you do it. however you can wait a bit and research it first to see the process. its not hard.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 PM

thanks rog, ill look into debranding....and checking these forums out....

you say i have to re-install my applications after debranding......which applications? the ones in my phone at the moment?
(i have not added anything, just got the phone from 3)

garmin is a one time fee?
to who?