All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 27-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia N8 - content creation and consumption on Symbian^3

Nokia today introduced their first Symbian^3 device, the Nokia N8. It is a web aware, content creation and consumption smartphone flagship in a monoblock touch form factor. It features a 12 megapixel camera with Xenon flash and the ability to record 720p (HD) videos, a 3.5 inch capacitive touchscreen with support for multi-touch gestures, 16 GB of mass memory, microSD card slot, HDMI out, FM transmitter, integrated GPS and comprehensive connectivity options (3G, Bluetooth, microUSB and b/g/n WiFi).
The phone will ship with a full range of Ovi services (Maps, Music, Messaging and Store) and marks the debut of Web TV and Social Networking integration service. With Symbian^3 comes a number of changes both to the platform and the UI. Among the highlights are support for multi-page homescreen, a renewed music experience with cover flow and easier access to albums, visual task switcher, streamlined menu structure with Direct UI single tap paradigm and much more.
The Nokia N8 will be available in Q3 2010 at a cost of €370 before taxes and subsidies.

Read on in the full article.

Old 27-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Or what the Idou/Satio should have been. ;/

Old 27-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

More here:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...pecs-and-pics/

Old 27-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Well a big HURRAH to this is all I can say. Lots of new good stuff, and a tacit admission that LEDs simply do NOT cut it for a high end camera phone (hello iPhone 4G/HD and your pinhole LED flash!). I think this is a great looking device spec wise, and frankly the one I've been waiting for - a worthy successor to the N82.

I also think the spec is highly competitive. While we are bound to see some poor souls whinging about this, that, or the other (come on whingers - I'm sure you can find something to moan about! ;-) ), this handset easily matches up to, and indeed beats the latest Androids and the next iPhone - especially considering a Symbian OS which is much better and more efficient in processor usage and battery conservation.

It is interesting to note that the next iPhone will, out of all it's touted advantages, only have one advantage that has not been matched by Nokia in this particular handset, and that's the rumoured pixel resolution, which is really not that important, 640 X 320 is very respectable and good enough I think. Software wise, the UI now clearly exceeds the iPhone, and easily matches Androids for anyone considering those. And the price is unmatched.

Good work Nokia, and I'm sure there will be others. And it's also encouraging that Nokia have held back the release to make some further improvements to the handset rather than releasing it in 'beta' form and making people wait for necessary firmware upgrades.

I look forward to reviews of the *finished* product (because there is no point to any review that does not cover the thing I will actually be spending money on).

Old 27-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Orange one is just cool and the price is reasonable could get this one.

Old 27-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Dardano

It's a freakin nice offer at this price! 12MP w/Xenon cam, record in HD, free Nav, web TV, 16GB internal plus external card slot, 3 homescreens w/ tons of widgets, the design is finally good.. damn!!!

Nokia is finally pulling it together on the design department! They will sell this phone just purely on design, adding all those extra features is just killing the competition.

Hope it's not slow, it shouldn't be with 256MB of RAM. I have seen the green one with QWERTY in some blogs a couple months ago and it pretty much resembled this phone just with a slide out qwerty, I think once thats out Nokia will hold it's own quite well against the competition until Symbian^4 rolls out.

Old 27-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Unregistered

Yes!

This device is going to kick the living shit out of the Apple and HTC, if Nokia delivers on the promise and price as announced!

Old 27-04-2010, 10:37 AM
bp101

Unhappy

1200mAh non-removable battery doesn't sound too promising

Old 27-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Dont forget Symbian has always been better at battery management than any other OS and Symbian3 has also more improvements with regards to power consumption.

Old 27-04-2010, 10:43 AM
bp101

I hope so, but multiple screens of widgets all connecting over 3G is never going to be battery friendly.
Ads

Old 27-04-2010, 10:44 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
This is the device I have been looking for, I was almost there with the i8910 but this one is it.
I am staggered by the price, that is what makes it even more amazing!

Old 27-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

This is suddenly so much better looking than the pics that came out earlier. Almost everythg I've hoped for is here, including xenon/led combo. And with that processor and ram, the nightmares with S^1 will hopefully be a thing of the past. And that 370 price is just sooo in yer face! Suck on that u whingers. And this is just the start.

Old 27-04-2010, 10:56 AM
iFanboy

Bravo Nokia :-). A really good specced device! It took you long enough but now I can see why, this phone looks seriously promising! And I'm glad as competition is a GOOD thing and will drive the other handset makers to keep on innovating :-)

My only critiscism however is they haven't innovated at all tbh, everything on the handset has been done before (Better? Who knows) and some features down right stolen *Cough* Coverflow *Cough*. But that's honestly the only thing I can complain about, and for a Nokia handset, that's astonishing :-)

Old 27-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

I look forward to American tech blogs now desperately trying to justify the latest Androids and the next iPhone in light of this device. Hopefully they will be man enough to admit an amazing handset when they see it, and not desperately try and nit-pick just because it's not iPhone or Android - i.e. US homegrown technology.

You wanted competition Apple and Google? You got competition. Lots and lots of it

Old 27-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Unregistered

Great phone.

As for phone manufacturers stealing features from others, going to boil from my black kettle first.