All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 27-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Brendan Donegan

The fact is, if you have a fundamental disagreement with the S60 UI style then Symbian^3 is never going to be for you. If what bothered you about S60 5th edition was all of the annoying things like double-tap and too many menu's, you should find that these problems have gone away. Seems like Eldar was in the former camp.
Ads

Old 27-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone know what cpu is inside the N8? My apologies for asking what maybe a silly question but can someone explain the difference between 135MB internal memory and 256MB RAM?

Overall N8 doesn't look too bad - liking the silver one!

Old 27-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Dups! is on a distinguished road
For me personally I see nothing interesting here except the price.
The same S60 renamed S^3 with a 12mp camera, HD recording and HDMI connection as highlights. Boring. The price, however, is amazing!! Is it really true?

Anyway, my interest is in an E71-esque Meego device with a 3" screen. I know I am probably wishing for something that is unlikely to see daylight but you never know.

Old 27-04-2010, 11:48 AM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
It must be one of the latest Texas Intrument OMAP 3630 or 3640.

Old 27-04-2010, 11:56 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Does anyone know what cpu is inside the N8? My apologies for asking what maybe a silly question but can someone explain the difference between 135MB internal memory and 256MB RAM?

Overall N8 doesn't look too bad - liking the silver one!
Try to relate these to your PC. 135MB internal memory is the size of C Drive i.e. where you might typically install apps and your phone will store temp files and 256 MB is the RAM (random access memory). You would be probably using a PC with 1 or 2 GB RAM.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Symbian^3 builds towards Symbian^4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Or who has actually used some pre production betas and can't really find that much to moan about. Mind you, although Eldar kind of blew his credibility a bit with the N900 I do share some of his concerns and I'll need to see this phone in action before making a decision.

That said, Symbian^3 get rid of my two biggest gripes - single/double tap UI inconsistency and network connection confirmation messages. If it tidies up the menu system even better. It's also a fair bet that, as with their recent popular phones, Nokia will continue to improve the firmware as time goes by.

The biggest wow here is the price point - 320 for a phone of that specification is just crazy. Unless Nokia have really buggered up the UI - and, no, that's not the same as not introducing something radical - this looks like a hit.
Hi Folks,

We should consider this OS a back to basics for Nokia, that correct many of the annoying problems in the UI that let down Symbian OS itself (I say this as Nokia employee and ex-Symbian). The Symbian^3 is the start of Nokia's turn around, and unlike S60 5th edition, this is a complete rethink of the UI from a consumer perspective.

It is also an important stepping stone to Symbian^4

Cheers,

Kevin

Old 27-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

The X8 has the very similar OS to what the N97 had. No thanks, I will have to pass. Owning the N97 was enough torture for me.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:01 PM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
Important to note, though, that you can't necessarily compare size with that of a PC; for example, Windows XP will run (albeit a bit slowly) on a PC with 512Mb of RAM. Symbian needs far less than that, because it was designed with a small footprint in mind.

And apps on Symbian tend to be a lot smaller, too. Judging memory size by comparison with a PC, where you have software that's got the whole kitchen sink thrown in, just on the offchance you might, for example, on day plug in a particular printer, won't really make for a fair comparison.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:04 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
USB on the go, thats cool!

Old 27-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Unregistered

Is this CPU ARM Cortex A8 ?

Old 27-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
i have ages left on my contract but i will buy this outside my contract if it hits the uk for around 350...

this looks like the first touch screen nokia im ready for

Old 27-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

Video led?

"Almost everythg I've hoped for is here, including xenon/led combo."

That's the one thing I hoped for, too, but is that actually there? As far as I can tell, there's ONLY a Xenon flash on this device, right? So no video light? If that's the case, I sadly won't be buying this otherwise perfect phone, as I absolutely need a video LED. Can someone confirm for me whether or not that's present?

Old 27-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Smile Finally, at last!

Finally Nokia has come out with an iPhone killer, and killing the iPhone 4G before it is born. This N8 should be the king of all smart phones especially now that Nokia has got its Ovi Store running properly.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:38 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Finally Nokia has come out with an iPhone killer, and killing the iPhone 4G before it is born. This N8 should be the king of all smart phones especially now that Nokia has got its Ovi Store running properly.

This is *not* an iPhone killer.

To be complete, an iPhone killer would have to compete on the complete ecosystem - including 3rd party addons, as well as the apps, music store, etc. I know that Nokia have Ovi and Music, which are quite good, but they still aren't quite there.

Anyway, the iPhone will only become a smartphone once v4 of the OS appears, Nokia have been ruler of the smartphone world in the most important area (sales) regardless of definition.

The N8 is growing on me at an alarming rate - the internal UI (apparently) looks similar to what has gone before, but with a more consistent/sensible operation. Overall specs on this phone are absolutely fantastic though, and not just having a 12mp camera, but claiming to have the largest sensor on the market - thats an important aspect of digital imaging.

Best thing for me? It looks like it'll be appearing around the time my contract is up for renewal.

Old 27-04-2010, 12:51 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Battery Cover

When you look closely at the back of the N8 , it doesn't seem very difficult to open that cover ...

Regards jApi NL
Attached Images
File Type: png TC Nokia N8 Back.png (250.8 KB, 14 views)