All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 AM

e63user is on a distinguished road
HELP: how to delete icons from the menu

Hi guys,

does anybody know how can I delete icons from the menu?

I do know I can move them around, and I do know that I can just uninstall 3rd party applications

how could I delete from the interface of the menu icons like the Ovi store, the Web Browser and similar? Ideally I'd like to cancel the exe program, but this could be more tricky, so even just any help on how to cancel the icons would be really appreciated.

I installed X-plore but I don't know where to look

I did a search in previous threads but couldn't find anything similar

Thank you in advance

Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Change Set-Up

First : what device are you using ?
Next : Items belonging to the Firmware you cannot remove . Even X-Plore , a nice Filemanager can't do that . Items of new installed applications you can delete by : Highlight Item > Press C or Backspace > Confirm
Some settings can be done by going to : Tools > Settings > General > Personally > 6 items
With Display mode , you can change Home Screen . Active Display shows the Icons on the Homescreen . When set to Off , the Icons are disappeared , but you can set 7 shortcuts : 2 for the Softkeys and 5 (invisible) for the D-Pad .

Last : make a new Folder , name it e.g. "Not Used" : Menu > Options > New Folder .
Move the unused Icons to the new Foder "Not Used" : highlight the Icon > Options > Move to Folder "Not Used"

Regards jApi NL

Old 07-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Hi jApi NL's

first of all: thanks a mil for the quick reply.

I didn't explain myself correctly: I have 3 e63, I'm giving them to my employees. They Use skype, so I want them to have access to the internet.
What I'd like to avoid is for them to browse the internet.

I have already checked all the system settings and the normal usage of the phone.

Is there any way (and I mean tweaks or hacks or software) to obtain this?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer

Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Kind of a tough one that. You can't 'regedit' to hide an application on Symbian like you might with a Winmo device.

What i'd suggest is moving the 'Web' icon to a seperate folder, then password protecting that folder. There are, from what i've quickly googled, apps that will password protect folders on Symbian. Perhaps someone has a recommended app?

Any particular reason to keep the employees out of the web? As you are planning on using Skype, you have a data plan anyway.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM

thanks a mil for this second answer. Very good idea. I'll google for apps that password protect a folder. I don't have a data plan, that's the main reason. Skype is given free by my operator

Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Smile Application Folder vs File(s) Folder

X-Plore and also Y-Browser (@ OVI store) are Filemanagers that can hide Folders and Files . They can't hide Applications or Folders with included Apps .
I checked JBakTaskman , a nice Application Manager , but could not find a setting for hiding Apps .
Maybe another Application Manager can ...
Whynot just charge your employees for using the Internet , while using Skype doesn't charge ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 08-08-2010, 02:54 PM

I think I just found the solution to my problem: I installed MasterLock from the ovi store and locked with password the browser and the various tools that could put the browser in the hardware keys

thanks a mil for the suggestions
Ads

Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Smile Cluster Lock ?

As I'm not familiar to this MasterLock , would like to read your experience with it . To me it looks like a Cluster Lock for All Applications , or is it possible to password-lock single/multiple Apps at choice ?

Regards jApi NL

Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
As I'm not familiar to this MasterLock , would like to read your experience with it . To me it looks like a Cluster Lock for All Applications , or is it possible to password-lock single/multiple Apps at choice ?

Regards jApi NL
so far so (almost) good

U install the app (be careful to do it on the memory phone, not on an SD card)

U open the app and it gives you the list of all the apps in your system: U block the ones U want (in my case browsers and ovi store)
then U block the system settings, the themes, in order to prevent that the web browsers are added to hardware keys or desktop shortcuts
then U block the App manager, in order to avoid the uninstall from there
then U block the filemanager in order to avoid that they download a new browser in the sd card and go to search in order to install it
quite easily: when U try to open one of these apps it requires a password, for the other apps no

at the moment the main issue (that's why I said almost good) is that you can just rightclick on the application and choose the option "Remove" and the software gets removed without asking for any password. Very stupid! What's the point in having an app that locks users from using apps on the phone if any user can just uninstall it?

I already wrote to the support of the app (perhaps it's me not knowing what to do, you never know) but in the meantime if I could put the app in a folder and password lock that folder this should give me the final solution

would I be able to do it? are there any application that allow me to password lock a folder? after all this is not a system folder or a system program, so I should be able to lock it no?

Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Smile Some Suggestions

Thanks for the headsup .
When after passworlocking the disered apps , the masterlock is removed , are the apps ready for use again or are they still password locked ?
When this isn't the case it sounds like a useless app .
Can you lock the "Office" or "GPS" folder ? Move Masterlock to one of these .
What happens if you install MasterLock on MemoryCard , lock the desired Apps and subsequently remove the Card ? Eventually insert a new Card .
Is MasterLock hidden in the "MultiTasking" menu ? : longpress the Menu button . Maybe this is only harmless .

BTW : in "Messaging" , there is still Internet connection through Email .

Regards jApi NL

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM

found the solution ! (eh eh)

it's called Advanced Phone Lock, U can download it from the OVI store.

doesn't have the bugs of MasterLock and has a very interesting feature: among the apps that can passwordlock there is also the possibility of installing/uninstalling software (hence installing/uninstalling itself).

to answer to your question:
- after U uninstall the MasterLock (and this is the same also for SmartGuard, of the same company) all the data is accessible (how stupid is that?)
- U cannot lock any folder where U put the sw: the support was adamant about that (I'm gonna leave them a very bad review)
- if you install it on a memory card (this is the top of stupidity) and remove it the sw disappears, is just not running anymore, and all the apps are accessible
- yes, U can try to launch a connection from the email (or from typing an internet address on a word file) but it will launch the default web browser, that U can block both with MasterLock and, expecially, with Advanced Phone Lock

thanks a mil for all the suggestions guys: I really appreciate it