All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM

TheUndertaker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando20 View Post
You can't close apps from the task switcher :(
is that true?? that would suck......... i hope there's some way of closing apps other than going through the menus.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes that's true, there's no c key to do this... Honestly though there isn't really a problem you can just leave apps running, there's enough RAM. Or you can switch to the app and exit it using the red / end key.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM

or it could also be possible to do it via some third party app, maybe a modified smart launcher for s60 touch that includes closing apps..
it is s60 after all!

Old 14-11-2008, 01:57 PM

sorry for double posting
but i found out that there's actually a way to close apps on the 5800!
You have to hold the menu key, that brings up the task manager, now how to close without a physical C key??
simple!
just hold on the app icon you want to close and a pop-up appears giving you an option to close!
check this screen i took via the s60v5 emulator!

yet another awesome innovation by s60!!

Old 15-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Unregistered

The Perfect Portable PC?

Like RadicalSatDude I was considering the E71 or the N95 with the E90 as a rank outsider on cost and form factor (it is too massive to fit in a shirt pocket and costs more than a low end laptop). The introduction of the 5800 has made me think again.

Here is what I want a smart phone to do:
I want a multimedia entertainment device which is also a minature PC and Phone. It has to be small enough to carry in my shirt or jeans pocket but have an onboard screen large enough to enable me to do PC things like write A4 letters in native MS Word format, edit spread sheets and read web pages without too much scrolling left/right or zooming in and out. That excludes every 320 pixel phone out there. GPS and a Camera would be a bonus.
Since it is a minature PC, I must be able to easily enter text and numerals at any time, straight from the shirt pocket. Standard phone key pad layouts are just not good enough for this purpose.

However to be truely useful, I want the facility to hook it up to a large screen and blue tooth keyboard at work or at home.

The 5800 sounds like it is very close to being the perfect portable personal PC.

Two things I would like to know, is the 5800 compatible with existing S60 series three software.
And does it come with any office software?
Ads

Old 15-11-2008, 08:55 PM

RadicalSatDude is on a distinguished road
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Like RadicalSatDude I was considering the E71 or the N95 with the E90 as a rank outsider on cost and form factor (it is too massive to fit in a shirt pocket and costs more than a low end laptop). The introduction of the 5800 has made me think again.
Bought the E71 this Friday, for 1500 AED (414 USD) logic being, physical keys are real, on a real keyboard. Apart from the input part E71's got a better battery and better over all build being 3rd gen in its class.

Nokia touch phones will be awesome by their 3rd generation just like any other hardware/software product.

P.S. Nokia 5800 will be 1650 AED (455 USD) in UAE, when released next month.

Old 16-11-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Two things I would like to know, is the 5800 compatible with existing S60 series three software.
And does it come with any office software?
There's Quick Office built in with the phone i believe. Not totally sure if it would be able to edit documents or not. As for s60v3 apps, i've tried lcg xplore on the emulator and surprisingly, it worked flawlessly! screen got divided, top part being the xplore display and there was a virtual keypad w/joystick like control below. it was really innovative. There's a good chance that most of s60v3 apps work with the phone, but we'll have to wait and see.

Old 21-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Unregistered

Cool Nokia 5800

Thanks for a great review on the phone. But I have one question for you now. I have a Nokia N95 myself but would like to get a touch phone that is as good or better than the phone I have now. Do you know if Nokia have a touch phone that has 5meg camera in it coming soon after the 5800??

Old 23-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

plz post the part2
we are still waiting

Old 25-11-2008, 09:08 PM

nickE10mm is on a distinguished road
Haptic Battery Drain

Hi Rafe,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on how the haptic vibration feedback might impact battery life or the internal vibrating motor's lifespan? I've been wondering this for a while, actually.

What are your thoughts?

Old 26-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

All this about a music phone?

And nothing at all about its music playback?
Nice overall round-up though....

Old 28-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

5800 versus N91 music

can u pls tell me whether the 5800 is better than N91 in the music department?

Old 30-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

USB data and charging

For everyoune that wants data transfers and charging from one cable at the same time, run a Google search for "Nokia DKE-5". Living in New Zealand, I've managed to find a few third-party ones on TradeMe for $10 - $15 NZD.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Mina Lo

Which is better for watching movies n95 8gb or the 5800?

I have a question, which is better for watching movies, the n95 8gb / n96 or the 5800, I mean on one hand the 5800 has a 3.2 inch 360x640 resolution screen which is really amazing, but on the other hand the n95 8gb is supposed to be the best video playback device and that was well focused on in their marketing campaign, while i didn't hear much about the video playback capabilities of the 5800, does it support the same codecs as the n95/n96 or less?

So which is better for watching movies the n95 8gb or the n96 or the 5800?

Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Nokia 5800

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic can be charged with a USB cable, CA 100, obtainable from any Nokia shop dear pal whoever you are!