All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Ohwell

*Corection: WVGA

Old 05-11-2008, 05:30 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Great, great review Rafe. Really useful. I only disagree with you on one point: 5800 is not mid-range by any means. Things like that huge high-res display, GPS, motion sensor and wi-fi still belong to the higher end of the spectrum (with some exceptions of course). In fact it matches the N78 spec for spec AND adds motion sensor to that. It is a kitchen-sink model, just not priced like one.

It is scary how my thoughts are being echoed in these comments. I am a proud owner of N82 and I happen to think it is one of the most amazing pieces of techology the world has seen, being small and light compared to N95.

I also think Iphone is slow and (whisper it) somewhat bland. 15 minutes and you are through everything Iphone has to offer.

So it will take something huge to steer me away from my N82 - and even then I dont think I will be able to sell it. 5800 seems to be precisely that. It loses out to N82 only in terms of camera and processor.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Unregistered

Beer Email and calendar

Hi, I know this is a music-oriented phone but since it is built on S60, can you give some insight into its email, calendar, file manager, word, spreadsheet apps functionality. Much appreciated.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 AM
BoyBawang

camera

How long does the camera start? How many seconds between shots?

Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Very pleased the screen is top quality. Was worried when specs leaked inc a resistive touch that it would be crap but thankfully that is not so.

I'm in a dilemma.I want the nseries touch but I'm impatient..and this is such a nice phone. If nseries touch only offer 8mp camera, and design changes that the extra dollar won't be worth it. Including a Xenon flash would be sound and make parting with my n82 a little less daunting.

Anyone have any ideas about when the nseries touch will be announced?

Dan
The screen is still going to cause some complaints (as I note there are argument for both technologies), but I was impressed having tried similar tech before. I would give serious consideration to waiting for the future touch products if you think they are in your price bracket. They're not all that far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
One thing I wish it had - Nokia has introduced USB charging with the N85. It should now be a standard and there should not be separate ports for charging and data transfer.
I think we will see it become more standard in the future. As to why - not sure - agree it would have been better sooner.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago
Rafe

Great Review - Even though I'm not interested in this phone specifically you can get a feel for the Touch GUI!

How do you think it could be implemented on a Touch Communicator?

Similar small external screen with a numeric keypad out with internal touchscreen and physical keyboard
0r
Large external touchscreen, no physical keypad and non touch internal screen with physical keyboard
or
Large external touchscreen no keypad and internal touch screen (with physical keyboard as well)

I guess some of the Sensor APIs would need to be changed so the movement of opening the internal screen didn't trigger them (like turning off alarms etc?)

Only trouble is well have to wait until probably Q4 2009 (at the earliest!) to find out!

Cheers
Jago
Yes lots of possibilities. Personally I think a standard phone on the outside and touch inside would make sense... but in some ways the communicator doesn't necessarily need touch. I do think we'll see some touch with QWERTY though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi rafe, how's the browser -- any better or worse than a regular N-Series?
Better as you'll find out in the next part - a lot of thats to do with the bigger screen though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jago View Post
Rafe -

Back to the point - how integrated is the touch in the GUI?

One of the things that bugged me when I mad a small diversion to the WM MDA Vario III/TyTN before my current E90 was that a mixture of keyboard/menu keys and stylus/screen was needed to navigate around.

I know WM is not the most constent in this aspect and wondered how Touch compared?

Can you navigate around and enter everthing with just the screen/stylus/finger and similarily with just the menu keys and keyboard/D-pad (if it had one!)

Thanks
Jago
It is very well integrated - that's the thing that impressed me most - most people don't realise how hard this is to do. You can use it just using touch if you want to (though the home key make things easier). WRT to keyboard devices - well would have to wait for devices, but yes you can (like current S60 phones), there are some thing you can't do (no touch clock shortcuts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
Can you put up some screenshots of the web browser ? Is it any different from the N series browser ?
Most importantly, will it be possible to copy text from an open web page and paste it elsewhere; say in notes or somethin ? Wonder if images can be saved by touching them as well.
Coming next part, but yes some differences. No copy and paste, but remember this is a preview (though I don't see that being added).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pandy View Post
Thanks for the review Rafe, what's the GPS like?....and what (if any) navigation software is installed?

Cheers
Yes Nokia Maps. GPS seems good, but always tricky to judge with pre-release devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalSatDude View Post
Since the review is so extensive (Thanks for that AAS), the big question for me is does it offer overal better value than the mighty Nokia E71.
I have serious concerns about the 5800's screen getting scratched pretty quickly and start to look banged up after a while, with all that touching.
Very different products in my opinion. The 5800 comes with a nice case that does a great job of protecting it. In absolute terms though I think it is a better value product than the E71. And yes finer prints everywhere... like all touch devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfors View Post
The most interesting question I can think of, is how does it handle old (S60 3rd) software? I'm guessing some of them that are entirely based on native UI elements should be fine - but what about other software, such as full-screen (non-Ngage) games?
More on this in the next part - its a mixed bag really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhWell View Post
If you're considering a TS phone on contract...

HTC Touch HD with 3.8" WXGA resolution available FREE on contract for 30 / 35 per month.
HTC Touch HD is a good option, though I thinks its more PDA focused than phone. In countries with no subsidies it also very expensive. It costs twice as much as the 5800. So you'll probably see the 5800 in 25 contracts fairly soonish.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Great, great review Rafe. Really useful. I only disagree with you on one point: 5800 is not mid-range by any means. Things like that huge high-res display, GPS, motion sensor and wi-fi still belong to the higher end of the spectrum (with some exceptions of course). In fact it matches the N78 spec for spec AND adds motion sensor to that. It is a kitchen-sink model, just not priced like one.

It is scary how my thoughts are being echoed in these comments. I am a proud owner of N82 and I happen to think it is one of the most amazing pieces of techology the world has seen, being small and light compared to N95.

I also think Iphone is slow and (whisper it) somewhat bland. 15 minutes and you are through everything Iphone has to offer.

So it will take something huge to steer me away from my N82 - and even then I dont think I will be able to sell it. 5800 seems to be precisely that. It loses out to N82 only in terms of camera and processor.
Mid range specs are always changing, when I see mid range I mean the price. And to be fair it is at the upper end of mid range. I'm still amazed what's in it for the price level. But yes in some ways this should have been the N70 Touch or whatever. But compared this 260 to the 520 you'll pay for the N96 and you'll see what I mean about mid-tier in terms of pricing. There's a significant difference in the materials.

N82 is under rated in my opinion, one of the bext S60 3.1 phones out there (might even include 3.2 in that too). 5800 serves a different market, but I think there may be some touch devices to come that will really, really tempt you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I know this is a music-oriented phone but since it is built on S60, can you give some insight into its email, calendar, file manager, word, spreadsheet apps functionality. Much appreciated.
More of this in part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyBawang View Post
How long does the camera start? How many seconds between shots?
About 1 secodn to start, 1 second to focus. About 4-5 seconds between shots, but this is pre-release hardware. More on this in part 2 of the review/

--- Phew - sorry for the delay in reply to the questions, will try and be responsive in the next few days. Looking to get the next part up on Monday (mybe over the weekend).

Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

Stupid UI

The UI looks so confusing and cluttering. These guys just can't make good software. Their low-end phones are OK but high-end software is pathetic.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Unregistered

Rafe, PLEASE make sure you mention the TV-Out functionality in the second part of your (p)review. A comparison to the N95 would be great.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

You can't close apps from the task switcher :(

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Unregistered

Dear Rafe i am using N96 and im not so happy with it do u think this would be a better option changing it for 96

Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Unregistered

I think the 5800 is one of the best smartphone Nokia has ever produced. Its relatively cheap, build quality is good and it has got all the basic goodies: 3,2 megapixel camera (could be better), hsdpa, wlan, gps and very good screen. I even like the UI a lot, but the browser could be faster. Browser handles feeds brilliantly.
Videoplayback is very good if you optimise bitrates and tv-out is ok. I dont think that 5800 is just a music oriented phone, it is a rock solid allrounder. I really love it.

Joni
taskussa.fi

Old 06-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Please also tell us about the gaming experience o the 5800 XM ..

Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

c'mon steve. part 2 please.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Founder / Chief

I'm working on it right now.