All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Videos: Vivaz and Vivaz Pro shown off, UI changes

While at MWC I spent some time looking at the new Symbian^1 handset - the Sony Ericsson Vivaz and its sister device, the QWERTY equipped, Vivaz Pro. Over the next week or so we'll be featuring a number of Vivaz videos to give you a closer look at Sony Ericsson's latest Symbian handsets. In the first video there's a general overview of the hardware and the 'panel' powered homescreen, while the second video looks at some of the homescreen UI additions compared to the Sony Ericsson Satio.

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
That S-E guy demoing the handsets is a LOT better than your average stand-droid. Kudos, whoever he is/was!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
Does SE have implemented kinetic scrolling in the symbian menu or just in their part of the UI?
Ads

Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
mrrad

At first I thought my god rafes' finger nails are long!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM

gordonH is on a distinguished road
A sexy touch symbian phone with good hardware to tempt s60 users

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Does it have kinetic scrolling in the menus and have they done anything to the underlying S60 OS? Has the browser been updated?
I thought the skinning of the Satio was ruined by the underlying clunky OS, it felt worse than the 5800 when it was originally released.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Deniro

Question Skype support?

Would the Vivaz (Kurara) support Skype? The i8910 definitely did not even though it is a S60 5th Ed device. It would be great if you could test this out in your review.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Gerii

Quote:
Originally Posted by yade View Post
Does it have kinetic scrolling in the menus and have they done anything to the underlying S60 OS? Has the browser been updated?
I thought the skinning of the Satio was ruined by the underlying clunky OS, it felt worse than the 5800 when it was originally released.
From what I've heard they're using the same old version of Symbian (5.0) as on the Satio.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

Vivaz Pro looks promising

The Vivaz Pro looks promising... The only thing missing from my wishlist is the xenon flash.

I've been looking at the N97/N97 Mini, but am holding out a few more months in hopes of a model with xenon flash and slightly more performance. I saw that one supposed Nokia document leak on youtube for the "n87", but that misspelled confidential and I didn't see any confirmation on it being an actual model. -- Does that make it more or less authentic?

Anyway, I have some basic questions about the Vivaz and Vivaz Pro since I'm not very familiar with non-Nokia Symbian phones.

1) Will the Vivaz/Vivaz Pro be able to use the Ovi Store?
2) Does Sony Ericsson (SE) have its own store?
3) I forgot what GPS software the Vivaz and Vivaz Pro are shipping with, but the SE web site had some * next to it commenting on market variation, etc. Do you know if that is a "full version" or a time restricted one? (I'm especially interested in the US one.) How does it compare to Ovi Maps? Ovi Maps is free for the newer Nokia phones... Is there an option for non-Nokia Symbian phones to purchase it? (The Ovi Maps reviews seem to be quite positive.)

One additional request... in the upcoming Vivaz/Vivaz Pro comparison, please comment on the Vivaz Pro photo quality. I know it is 5mp instead of 8mp, but how good of a 5mp is it?
(I would like to have a keyboard so I am looking at the Vivaz Pro.)

Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Unregistered

the keybard

since its a resistive touchscreen, will typing on the onscreen keyboard be a lot harder on the vivaz when compared to the itouch?

should i wait until the vivaz pro comes out?