All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 21-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Question

Rafe when you receive your production standard N95 would it be possible for you to give a full run down on the build quality of the phone, covering all areas but especially the slider?

It's just after being burnt over my N93 which was from the first batch of N93's to hit the UK I am concerned to avoid such issues again so your report on this issue would be much appreciated.

Old 22-03-2007, 04:27 PM

Zmurphen is on a distinguished road
N95 starts shipping now!
h t t p : / / w w w . n o k i a . c o m / A 4 1 3 6 0 0 1 ? n e w s i d = 1 1 1 3 5 3 3

(sorry about all the spaces in the link, but apparently I need to make more posts before I'm allowed to post links.

Old 26-03-2007, 07:56 AM

exlixx is on a distinguished road
Unsigned Software

Hi there,

I sincerely request you to check for me one thing. Could you please go to: Tools -> App Manager -> Options -> Settings.

From there, could you please advise whether there is an option to change the 'Software Instalation' from 'Signed Only' to 'All'.

Thank you so much.

exlixx

Old 26-03-2007, 01:17 PM

jmcconville is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset Using N95 in U.S.

Can anyone tell me what features will or will not work in the U.S. From what I've gathered, the video conferencing will not work, and the network speed will not be optimal.

Are those the only things I give up?
Do I lose any bluetooth profiles or any other connectivity options?
Are maps available for US? Kansas City?
Will video conferencing work in the near future with the current phone?
Will there be a release of the phone in which video conferencing does work in the U.S, in the near (30-60 days) future?

Thanks for the help,
Jim

Old 28-03-2007, 12:27 PM

ChrisNZ is on a distinguished road
Language Support

Hi Rafe,

Could you tell me about language support in the N95? Particularly T9 text messaging support? Most Nokia phones purchased here in New Zealand (or around Asia) have support for English plus a few other asian languages like Indonesian.

I would like to text using predictive texting in european languages (French etc). Does this mean I have to buy a N95 from a european source or can you load other languages onto the phone?

Thanks.

Old 28-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbian View Post
Can you tell me please if it is at all possible whilst using the GPS to make a call with a bluetooth connected car headunit?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bras4real View Post
The N95 is equiped with TFT screen, because of its larger screen size compared to the N93 how is the pixelation
Not too bad, but more noticeable than on small screens.

Old 28-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehman View Post
Hi Rafe!
Please tell me can we quick forward or rewind a movie, or play with speed X2, X4 or X8 on N95 video player. Or can we skip to go and see some particular part of a movie. With my current Nokia 6681, if I upload a long movie clip, say half hour, from my PC, and if I want to see the last few minutes of that movie, then I have no choice to go straight to the last part. I have to see all the movie in one go. Is the same type of limitation there in N95 or it has been improved.
You can fast forward / rewind but I think its just one speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locoblade View Post
Hi All

Could anyone answer me the following couple of questions please:

1) Does the N95 have proper multiple alarm functionality with multiple alarms and allowing you to specify them to repeat only on weekdays / once per week etc, or is it the same as older S60s like my N70 with a single unconfigurable alarm? On my N70 I use a 3rd party alarm app which works quite well, but obviously it would be nice to have it built in.

2) Does the N95 have a password protected "safe" type application built in, to keep confidential information secure? i.e. something like Handy Safe which I currently have, but built in like most non Symbian Nokias have? Again the pricing on HandySafe (particularly for S60 3rd gen) seems to have risen considerably since I purchased it for the N70 :(

To update on the availablity, I contacted O2 and also a T-Mobile distributor today and both said availability from 1st week in April. Im glad Ive joined the N95 bandwagon quite late because waiting a month (fingers crossed) will be bad enough!!

cheers

Chris
No safe application. Alarm is better, multiple alarms etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecutis View Post
I saw this mentioned in the tech specs on the nokia website, does anyone know what is meant by it?

I am looking to move to a symbian device and the N95 looks perfect but I use Exchange Active sync on my current device all the time and could not work without it, I see that Nokia provides Mail for Exchange for E series devices but have read that it does not work on the N series.
You would need to use RoadSync from DataViz. Officially the Eseries version do not work on the Nsers, though some people have them working on N73 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM View Post
Quick question....I live in New Zealand. Yes, down the bottom of the globe Any ideas when this phone will be reaching our shelves?
April ish (nothing specific - sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrique View Post
Fairly simple question, I'm considering getting hold of one of those lovely laser keyboards. I was just wondering if such would work with one of these, and ... well more generally if there's much point.
Yes it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmurphen View Post
Hello

I wonder if you can use the flash LED as a flashlight?

(I currently use my k750i as a flashlight where the led can be active for as long as you want)

Brgds... /Zmurphen
yes with third party software (though I've not tested myself)

Old 28-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNZ View Post
Hi Rafe,

Could you tell me about language support in the N95? Particularly T9 text messaging support? Most Nokia phones purchased here in New Zealand (or around Asia) have support for English plus a few other asian languages like Indonesian.

I would like to text using predictive texting in european languages (French etc). Does this mean I have to buy a N95 from a european source or can you load other languages onto the phone?

Thanks.
I'll try and remember to post something about this. Thus far experience has been very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcconville View Post
Can anyone tell me what features will or will not work in the U.S. From what I've gathered, the video conferencing will not work, and the network speed will not be optimal.

Are those the only things I give up?
Do I lose any bluetooth profiles or any other connectivity options?
Are maps available for US? Kansas City?
Will video conferencing work in the near future with the current phone?
Will there be a release of the phone in which video conferencing does work in the U.S, in the near (30-60 days) future?

Thanks for the help,
Jim
Thats right video and network speed. You wont lose anything else. There may be a US version in due course [Q2], but there are no details on that yet (its possible it could be different and not have Wifi like the e61 / e62.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlixx View Post
Hi there,

I sincerely request you to check for me one thing. Could you please go to: Tools -> App Manager -> Options -> Settings.

From there, could you please advise whether there is an option to change the 'Software Instalation' from 'Signed Only' to 'All'.

Thank you so much.

exlixx
Yes. In fact it is set to all by default.

Old 28-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Rafe no comments on the build quality? As I most interested in hearing about this.

Pity to hear the screen does suffer from pixelation, I suppose it's to be expected on such a big screen.

Old 28-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Founder / Chief

Opps sorry I meant to add something.

The N95 I have seems fine, but I always think its a bit difficult to judge until you actually used it for a while. I always find slides feel a bit flimsy - they tend to have a bit of give. But the N95 is certainly no worse than the N80 - I'd say better as less spongy. It does feel fragile, but thats subjective. The bottom part though feels rock solid...

Its also worth noting that mine is not necessairly in the same batch as the first UK ones.

I have (already) manged to drop it once or twice and no ill effects so far (onto carpet).

Pixelation is in the eye on the beholder - depends how close you are to the screen. It way better than the old 176x208 screen as even that was never that bad.

Old 29-03-2007, 07:38 AM

howzaat is on a distinguished road
Dummy :d

Hi..

This is all going to sound dumb but i wanna know.. With the GPS in the N95.. or with any phone for that matter how does the GPS work..

1. How exactly does it work?
2. Where do you get the maps from.
3. Do you have to pay for it... ie does GPS use the internet :|:| I have no idea :(
2. If so what sort of price are we looking at?

Thanks for your help!

Btw i know there has been some discussion about it.. But do you think 3 will do the No cost for the handset on say the $99 cap, $129 or $149 (or you think they will still charge a handset cost?)

Old 29-03-2007, 08:00 AM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
GPS works by receiving signals from a set of satellites originally launched by the US militiary to determine your position on the Earth. Its free for anyone to use, see Wikipedia for more detailed info.

Ive not used the software yet but this is what I understand.....

The maps on the N95 come via Smart2Go, which is owned by Nokia now. The maps are all free to download through your PC onto your mobile in bulk beforehand, and also free to download direct to your mobile via GPRS / WAP as and when they are required by the software, ie when you turn on the application in a new location. To be completely "free" obviously you need a fixed price data tariff like T Mobile Web & Walk, otherwise you obviously pay your usual data tariff charges.

The software also allows you to plan routes free of charge and will show the route on the map, the only things you can optionally pay for is voice command turn by turn navigation (eg "100 metres, turn left") like TomTom gives, and the city guides.

Chris

BTW, cheers for the response to my questions Rafe

Last edited by Locoblade; 29-03-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Old 29-03-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Opps sorry I meant to add something.

The N95 I have seems fine, but I always think its a bit difficult to judge until you actually used it for a while. I always find slides feel a bit flimsy - they tend to have a bit of give. But the N95 is certainly no worse than the N80 - I'd say better as less spongy. It does feel fragile, but thats subjective. The bottom part though feels rock solid...

Its also worth noting that mine is not necessairly in the same batch as the first UK ones.

I have (already) manged to drop it once or twice and no ill effects so far (onto carpet).

Pixelation is in the eye on the beholder - depends how close you are to the screen. It way better than the old 176x208 screen as even that was never that bad.
Thanks for that. I find the build quality on the N80 to be acceptable, though the slide does seem to have more play in it than it did when I first got it. Hopefully I will not have the same issues with the N95 as I did with my N93.

Old 30-03-2007, 01:17 AM

exlixx is on a distinguished road
Hi I find this thread extremely extremely useful. It really helps a lot !!!!!

Can you check for me whether there is any support, out of the box, to synchronize PIM and emails with MS Exchange Server over the air like what Activesync of pocketPC does? I understand we can install 3rd party software such as RoadSync ... but then it is so expensive. What about the built-in SyncML? Does it work like Activesync? Sorry, I am completely new to Symbian OS ...

Looking forward to the reply ... Thank you so much.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 PM

md27514 is on a distinguished road
Question about wifi and VPN

I currently have E60 which supports 802.1x and EAP-PEAP. This is a crucial feature for me as it allows me to use the wifi network at work. Can anyone look at their N95 and see whether it also supports it?
Namely, go to your configured access points click on WLAN security mode. You should see: Open network, WEP, 802.1x and WPA/WPA2
Next enter WLAN security settings and there should be an option for WPA mode: EAP. Select it and you should be able to configure EAP plugin settings, and one of the available options should be EAP-PEAP.

I would appreciate if anyone can check this for me.....

Also, even though this is less important, does N95 have the Nokia VPN client ? On my E60 in the submenu Connections one choice available is VPN . Do you have this on N95?