All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM

king87 is on a distinguished road
Applications crash before even starting!

I've had this problem for ages and it's bloody annoying lol. When I try to run an app likeee RotateMe or the lightsaber, the screen flashes once (as if loading the app, then crashing) then immediately returns to the menu. Thought that updating the firmware might solve the problem, but it didn't. Applications like Calcium (the calculator) and Handy Taskman run fine.. doesn't make any sense why they would and the others don't! I've done the whole HelloOX 1.03 hack so I can run unsigned applications, so it's not like they wont run properly cos they're unsigned. I'm a bit stumped and cant really find anything useful on the net. Any ideas guys?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Have you recently done a restore using Nokia PC Suite?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Yeah right after I updated the firmware to restore all my settings and that. Every time i switch the phone on, it comes up with this 'Installing...' progress bar which sticks around for about 2minutes then says 'cant install, go to application manager to setup' (or something like that) - do you think that has any link to the application crashing problem? Whenever installing an application I usually chose to install it to memory, that could have something todo with the problem also..hmm!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:47 PM

masti is on a distinguished road
I have exactly the same symptoms

I have also that "installing.." everytime I boot my n95 and that applications-not starting -problem too. Please tell me what to do if you know how to get rid of those annoying things.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Try the following:-

Go to Application Manager (App.mgr.) on your phone and go down the list to see which applications have not installed and then either reinstall them or delete them and reinstall.

It's never a good idea to do a full restore after upgrading your firmware. Just use restore for Contacts, Calender, Notes, Bookmarks and Messages. Then add the rest piecemeal.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by king87 View Post
Yeah right after I updated the firmware to restore all my settings and that. !
I wish I had £10 for every time I told a forum user NEVER restore a 'backup' after firmware upgrades as this is the type of issue it causes...

You will now have to format your internal memory with *#7370#
I recommend you use PC Suite Synchronise app to backup and restore your contacts, calendar, internet bookmarks etc.

To repeat... NEVER EVER restore a 'backup' file after a firmware backup.

Last edited by dez_borders; 11-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've experienced this myself, with RotateMe, Lightsabre, and MSN. It's because these programs can't run by themselves and rely on a plugin to be installed as well. For RotateMe and Lightsabe, you'll need the Accelerometer plugin installed too (for MSN it was something random that I can't remember).

You can download the accelerometer plugin from here: http://research.nokia.com/files/N95_...elerometer.zip

Install it on your phone, and if said applications still fail to work, uninstall and reinstall them (now that the plugin is installed) and hopefully that'll do the trick.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
I wish I had £10 for every time I told a forum user NEVER restore a 'backup' after firmware upgrades as this is the type of issue it causes...

You will now have to format your internal memory with *#7370#
I recommend you use PC Suite Synchronise app to backup and restore your contacts, calendar, internet bookmarks etc.

To repeat... NEVER EVER restore a 'backup' file after a firmware backup.
Oh right, that would explain why my phone has always has had stupid wee problems like this, as I always restore the backup afterwards. You think if I use the phone's onboard backup/restore app it would result in the same problem as the PC suite restore? Because synchronisation doesn't seem to work either haha bloody hell.
Ads

Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by king87 View Post
Oh right, that would explain why my phone has always has had stupid wee problems like this, as I always restore the backup afterwards. You think if I use the phone's onboard backup/restore app it would result in the same problem as the PC suite restore? Because synchronisation doesn't seem to work either haha bloody hell.
No, you can't reliably use either PC Suite or Handset Backup utilities with Firmware backups. (This is Nokia's fault, not the users!)
There are some who say it's safe to do a partial restore, where you choose contacts etc, but do not restroe the settings/app data.

If PC Suite Synchronsie isn't working either, you could copy all your contacts to your SIM card before formatting internal memory then copy them back afterwards.
This will save phone numbers but probably not email or postal address data if you have any.