All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM

anurok is on a distinguished road
A REAL upgrade from N95?

I have been debating on upgrading from my N95-3 to either the N97 or the iPhone 3GS. I have been using Nokias for going on 10 years now (22 now heh) and have never had anything other than a Nokia in my hand. I have grown accustomed to the S60 software and its freedoms but I have also felt the restrictions of the ATT network and anything related to the N95.

The N95/N97 are not "supported" devices on the network so I can't do things like Mobile TV, video calls, full youtube support and a few other features. The iPhone 3GS has everything available to it on the ATT network because it is ATT's flagship money maker.

I am curious...is it REALLY worth spending 600US for the N97 (as it is now) or 200US (with contract) for the 3GS respectively?

Are there any other phones that compete with these at the moment on the market? Something with a touch screen would be awesome.

Maybe swapping to Verizon and going for an HTC? I know nothing about those though...

I am unfortunate to say in my current situation that the 3GS would be my best bet but all of that proprietary software is rather annoying even if they have 9 billion apps to use.

Cheers,

Paul

Old 04-08-2009, 05:40 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
If you really do want an upgrade from the N95 I would suggest either a HTC Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2 if you really want a touchscreen, or if you aren't that bothered about it I would suggest a Nokia N85 8MP.

There are quite a few great HTC phones out now though, I suggest just popping into an AT&T/Verizon store and having a play with some. The T-Mobile G2 also looks pretty good, and if you like Android and would like a complete touchscreen, I recommend looking into the HTC Hero too .

Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM

anurok is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftNismo View Post
If you really do want an upgrade from the N95 I would suggest either a HTC Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2 if you really want a touchscreen, or if you aren't that bothered about it I would suggest a Nokia N85 8MP.

There are quite a few great HTC phones out now though, I suggest just popping into an AT&T/Verizon store and having a play with some. The T-Mobile G2 also looks pretty good, and if you like Android and would like a complete touchscreen, I recommend looking into the HTC Hero too .
I will have to check out the N85 8mp as well since someone from work stole my digital camera =(

Really upset with that...Is it good enough to be compared to a full stand alone digital camera?

Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurok View Post
I will have to check out the N85 8mp as well since someone from work stole my digital camera =(

Really upset with that...Is it good enough to be compared to a full stand alone digital camera?
No phone is ever really going to be as good as a stand alone digital camera, but as close as phones get, it is damn close, and the Carl Zeiss optics are great on it. Not only that, it also has N-Gage support and all the usual stuff as with as an OLED screen, and the display is fantastic.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:12 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftNismo View Post
No phone is ever really going to be as good as a stand alone digital camera, but as close as phones get, it is damn close, and the Carl Zeiss optics are great on it. Not only that, it also has N-Gage support and all the usual stuff as with as an OLED screen, and the display is fantastic.
I would debate that.

There is no reason at all why a phone cam can't be as good as a dedicated point and shoot.

And its totally possible (although improbable) that a phone with well designed fixed focal length optics could offer higher quality images than something with a zoom that is generally only optimised at one point in its zoom range.

The optics on the N95, N82 (and possibly N86) are about as good as they get at the moment. Although you can argue that Nokias post processing isn't necessarily that good.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile i8910 ?

Did you consider the Samsung i8910 HD allready ? Very good multimedia "HD" 720 pix , fast processor , lots of RAM , iPhonesque touchscreen , Symbian . I don't know about AT&T conectivity btw .

Regards jApi NL

Old 24-08-2009, 04:34 PM

mlang is on a distinguished road
[quote=clonmult;432336]I would debate that.

There is no reason at all why a phone cam can't be as good as a dedicated point and shoot.

And its totally possible (although improbable) that a phone with well designed fixed focal length optics could offer higher quality images than something with a zoom that is generally only optimised at one point in its zoom range.
[quote]

Only if the manufacturers designed the phone around the camera - giving it the space to have a decent sized sensor, shutter, and a proper lens, etc. (and I'm sure the "zeiss optics" is as much marketing as fact - they're better than average phone cam lenses, but they're still phone cam lenses). They just don't fit in with phone design where the device sits in the hand or rattles around in the pockets.

It could be done (and I would buy it), but it would be to such a small market it likely wouldn't sell enough. Indeed, many current top of the range phones appear to be moving away from it - fewer xenon flashes, bigger priority on video, smaller lenses, no lens covers, etc.

So improbable is a bit of an understatement :P

On the other hand, if a camera company added some basic phone functions to one of their cameras... I mean, they already have bluetooth and wi-fi.