All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-11-2010, 12:42 PM

src81 is on a distinguished road
N8 drawbacks to mention

After using n8 for a month I have come accross a no. of problems with it. Just to summarize those...

1. At times the phone shuts down on its own without specific reasons.

2. Sometimes phone does not recognize the sim card and asks to insert a sim even though is is already there and running.

3. No qwerty in portrait mode while messaging.

4. After exiting from OVI store the gprs connection still remains connected untill manually disconnected from connection manager even though there is no other application using the connection.

5. OVI map does not show the GPS signal meter which was there in N97 mini. Otherwise you never know whether GPS is available at a location or not.

6. Very less c: memory, at around 165MB and gradually decreasing.

7. One weird problem happens sometimes while making or getting a call. The screen locks even when it is not near the ear. Only thing you can see is a dark screen. If you want to reject or receive or cut the call you have to manually unlock the screen by the unlock slide key. And then the sensor, to lock the screen while holding near ear, does not work.

8. OVI store is not pre-installed. Extremely less no. of pre-installed apps. No games at all.

9. Default storage for contacts is only phone memory. Cannot store them in mass memory.

More informations or solutions to those are most welcome.

Disclaimer : I am not bothered about social networking. So problems related to them(if any) not included.
Ads

Old 20-11-2010, 05:09 AM

10. No pre-installed language options.

Old 20-11-2010, 08:29 AM

albertorrent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by src81 View Post
After using n8 for a month I have come accross a no. of problems with it. Just to summarize those...

mine does that too.

It restarts itself 2 or 3 times a day. I don't know if it is a hardware issue with my phone or not.

what do you think ?

Old 20-11-2010, 09:34 AM

SnaxMuppet is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, any N8 that restarts on its own has a hardware issue and you should return it to your dealer for replacement.

I have had mine now for over a week and it hasn't missed a beat.

The software is likely to be the same across all phones but the hardware can have faults.

It is were me I would return it for replacement asap.

Old 20-11-2010, 12:10 PM

monkeyandweasel is on a distinguished road
Had my N8 for a couple of weeks now with no problems. Defo send yours back.
Have Nokia not acknowledged this as a problem on some units anyway?

Personally I prefer T9 keyboard in portrait anyway.

Old 20-11-2010, 02:27 PM

brgto is on a distinguished road
I like the portrait alpha numeric pad but sometimes its T9 predictive and sometimes its multitap. It just depends on what screen your in and can be a bit annoying!

Old 20-11-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertorrent View Post
mine does that too.

It restarts itself 2 or 3 times a day. I don't know if it is a hardware issue with my phone or not.

what do you think ?
not sure really....could be a hardware problem or the OS problem as most of us experienced this once or twice. for me last time it was 3 weeks back. after that its going smooth after a hard reset.

Old 20-11-2010, 11:55 PM

stewart01 is on a distinguished road
I've only had two N8 resets in the 10 days I've had it.

Like others have said, you may want to send it back for repair or try a full reset. Back up first though - you'll lose themes and other files.

Old 21-11-2010, 09:17 AM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by src81 View Post

2. Sometimes phone does not recognize the sim card and asks to insert a sim even though is is already there and running.

3. No qwerty in portrait mode while messaging.

4. After exiting from OVI store the gprs connection still remains connected untill manually disconnected from connection manager even though there is no other application using the connection.

5. OVI map does not show the GPS signal meter which was there in N97 mini. Otherwise you never know whether GPS is available at a location or not.

6. Very less c: memory, at around 165MB and gradually decreasing.

7. One weird problem happens sometimes while making or getting a call. The screen locks even when it is not near the ear. Only thing you can see is a dark screen. If you want to reject or receive or cut the call you have to manually unlock the screen by the unlock slide key. And then the sensor, to lock the screen while holding near ear, does not work.

8. OVI store is not pre-installed. Extremely less no. of pre-installed apps. No games at all.

9. Default storage for contacts is only phone memory. Cannot store them in mass memory.

More informations or solutions to those are most welcome.

Disclaimer : I am not bothered about social networking. So problems related to them(if any) not included.
Answers:

1) Its now a known issue and Nokia is doing repairs on these now
2) It may be a side effect of above - but tell Nokia Service centre this when you drop it in
3) Apparently will be fixed in the next major firmware (hinted updated in December and Feb - but more likely in the Feb update).
4) You sure no widgets are online and accessing? You can turn your homescreen to offline mode and see if it still tries to connect. Other things may include emails and IM that may use the internet
5) Yes.. OVI maps has ironically gone a weird direction and taken out some good features previously like Traffic alerts even when the phone was not in nav mode. Frustrating..
6) Stop installing things on C: - should only install the very crucial stuff on it and you'll be fine. Its still much better than what was left on N97..
7) Seen that happen on my N97 - but never on the N8
8) Thats because they want you to have the most up to date version of OVI store regardless of when the phone was purchased or last factory reset. It kind of makes sense doing it this way
9) I tend to store the most critical things like that on C: and not on mass storage. The reason is that it does hamper your use of the phone in USB "Mass storage mode" when it is in use (doesnt allow it).

Old 21-11-2010, 09:04 PM

Stephen337 is on a distinguished road
The two most annoying things about the N8 is trying to put a exclamation mark in a text message using the portrait T9 mode.

AFAIK you need to hit the '1' key then tap the underlined '.'. But my fingers are too fat and I end up accepting the '.'

The other is the accuracy of the lock code input screen. It always takes me two or three attempts ot enter the code. Either the buttons need to be bigger or the screen needs better calibration.

...Suppose I could use a pencil sharpener on my fingers