All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2006, 06:13 PM

riannn is on a distinguished road
Installing application in phone memory vs. memory card

Hi guys.. What are the advantages and disadvantages of installing applications inside the phone memory vs. memory card? Phone processing speed? Data access?

And not related to the symbian software, are there any different types of miniSD with different data transfer speed? Any good and reliable brand up for suggestion in 1GB category?

-riannn

Old 16-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Installing apps in the phone's memory uses up memory which can be left free for operating - that is, more apps open at the same time AIUI. I don't notice any slow-down at all by using the card to hold the apps.

I would steer clear of Kingston MiniSD. I had to return one to www.MyMemory.co.uk and I've read bad things since then from others too. They sent me their own brand "MyMemory" version and it's been fine. Good'n'cheap. too!

Tim

Old 16-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
There isn't a significant slow down for apps on the memory card. In theory you'll use a bit more power when using these program (because its reading from the memory card), but I dont think this is significant either.

However if you intend to chnage cards (e.g. so you can access more videos or music) you may want to install essential apps to the internal memory.

I have a 2GB SanDisk card and it works fine.

Old 16-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon
Installing apps in the phone's memory uses up memory which can be left free for operating - that is, more apps open at the same time AIUI.
That's not true. The internal storage memory (Flash) and the operating memory (RAM) are two separate things.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 17-06-2006, 03:51 AM

riannn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
That's not true. The internal storage memory (Flash) and the operating memory (RAM) are two separate things.
So if the phone memory is full, it wouldn't make my phone to be running slower right? since we're not using the RAM.

How about the contacts, is it stored in RAM or phone memory?

-riannn

Old 17-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Contacts are stored in phone memory. Anything which creates data is stored in phone memory. The actual executon of programs takes place in RAM. Ideally you shouldn't fill up your internal memory completely as it will get used for the odd temp file and application configuration files. In ther words its a good idea to leave say 5 MB free to cover contingencies.

Old 17-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by riannn
So if the phone memory is full, it wouldn't make my phone to be running slower right? since we're not using the RAM.

How about the contacts, is it stored in RAM or phone memory?

-riannn
Phone memory and memory cards are like a filing cabinet where you store documents.

RAM is like a desk where you actually read the documents after you've taken them out of the filing cabinet.

If you run lots of programs at once, or large programs, that's like looking at lots of documents on the desk at once, and that slows down the phone.

Old 17-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse
If you run lots of programs at once, or large programs, that's like looking at lots of documents on the desk at once, and that slows down the phone.
Well, unless you're using up _all_ the free RAM and the system needs to close down a program or two to release memory, I have never experienced a Symbian phone running slower with lots of apps loaded in RAM. You must be thinking of Windows.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 17-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Make sure you keep enough free space on your smartphone's internal flash disk (usually designated 'C', similarly to on a PC). It's easy to fill your internal disk (usually just referred to as 'memory' by the manufacturer) with photos, voice clips, SMS messages and so on, but if you let this get much below 1MB then the operating system and applications will have nowhere to put their temporary files (working space for temp files) and everything will grind to a halt in a way that you really, really, don't want."

So says Steve L at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...g_It_Clean.php so maybe it's not as simple as it first seems if the OS does in fact need some 'memory' left in order to do its thing, sometimes?

I've always followed the advice which says put everything you can onto the Memory Card - which in earlier days when the device had next to no 'memory' I guess was more important than now - so that the device had as much resources as possible to run stuff. This point would explain that, I think.

Tim

Old 17-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, unless you're using up _all_ the free RAM and the system needs to close down a program or two to release memory, I have never experienced a Symbian phone running slower with lots of apps loaded in RAM. You must be thinking of Windows.
Well, let me put it this way: if any kind of memory slowed the phone down, it'd be more likely to be RAM than the internal memory.

Processor intensive apps do slow down Symbians, for example 3D N-Gage games run slightly more smoothly if you switch the phone app off by going offline, although most apps aren't that intensive so slowdowns are rare as you said.

Old 18-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon
maybe it's not as simple as it first seems if the OS does in fact need some 'memory' left in order to do its thing, sometimes?
Yes, a wee bit space will always be needed on C: for temp files etc. But with 75MB of available storage space you shouldn't have to worry too much about that. Personally I choose to install all my apps on C: and all the multimedia stuff, files etc. on the memory card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse
Well, let me put it this way: if any kind of memory slowed the phone down, it'd be more likely to be RAM than the internal memory.

Processor intensive apps do slow down Symbians, for example 3D N-Gage games run slightly more smoothly if you switch the phone app off by going offline, although most apps aren't that intensive so slowdowns are rare as you said.
What you are describing is a program needing all the resources available to run properly. That doesn't conflict with what I wrote earlier about the system not facing any slow-downs _unless_ you use up ALL the free RAM.
Ads