All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-12-2009, 03:03 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
Broken widget: The New Accuweather

Nokia sent an email to me about how despite the N97 and other handsets being pre-loaded with Accuweather, this application has already had 300K+ downloads.

Well, I was one of those...hoping that there was an update that fixed some of the "squirrely" behavior of this widget.

What is found is that it now has enhanced squirrely-ness!

It will get stuck in "Add location" on the homescreen, despite having configured a Default Location and then when you open the application full-screen, it only retains it's widget display at the top of the full screen and loses any ability to work through the touch screen other than the menu buttons at the bottom and even then not many of them work as expected.

So far the only way out of this that I have found is to go BACK and then REFRESH as you can't get to Settings, Add Location or Manage Locations.

One step forward and two steps back (sigh!).
Ads

Old 17-12-2009, 04:34 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
Some suggestions

I suffered that after deleting the app from the C: memory and re-installing from the Ovi store onto the E: drive. I seem to have tamed it now and I can't quite remember how.

A couple of things I do remember are...

After having the GPS fix applied, it can find weather in your "Current Location". This often works when selecting your City gives a scripting fault.

Also, selecting the first entry for your City may cause a scripting fault, whereas picking the next entry will not.

Its the scripting fault error that causes the behaviour you describe. There are at least four for Bristol, UK and only one of them seems to work.

Regards
Neil

Old 17-12-2009, 05:32 PM

gunj is on a distinguished road
Well, I completely removed the accuweather app from my phone, and frankly my N97 looks more stable now. It may be a thing with just that piece, but I felt that the weather widget was eating up much of the phone's resources. So I got rid of it.

Old 17-12-2009, 07:24 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
As I have posted elsewhere (can't remember if it was here or in the VF forum) I believe it is the WidgetUI at fault and not the application itself. It is something Nokia should fix, but I'm guessing not enough people are posting useful information about other widgets suddenly "going to sleep" for them to realise.

Regards
Neil

Old 18-12-2009, 07:20 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
The widget API is prone to extreme flakiness, quite frankly...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 27-12-2009, 01:57 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I do like the new little "offline" symbols in the new Facebook and Accuweather apps.

A little tower with an X through it appears in the lower right-hand corner when the home screen apps are offline.

I did find that a new problem with Facebook...if it is in a "cycle" and you use the unlock slider it reports "An error has occurred". It resets itself and goes away, so it is just a minor annoyance.

Accuweather on the other hand still forgets the default location, gets stuck in "Add location" on the home screen and then when you open it up, shows the home screen widget bar at the top of the full screen and pretty much gets "moded-out" until you go to Add new location and add your current location back.

As the year is almost over, I'd like to nominate this as the BUGGIEST N97 app of 2009.