All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-10-2008, 09:56 AM

azzy is on a distinguished road
Nokia N85 Wobbly Slider.

Hi All.

I bought an Nokia N85 today excellent phone, but the problem is that the slider is very wobbly, if you open the phone and tap on the bottom right corner of the phone you will see it has too much play, anyone else have the same problem or is it a faulty phone?, got mine from Europe (Hungary) is their a fix for this, any help welcome. Thanks
Ads

Old 21-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the same problem that my N81 8GB has.

As to a DIY fix, can you not get it repaired, or replaced under the European Warranty?

Old 21-10-2008, 02:16 PM

iansearle is on a distinguished road
I bought my N85 yesterday in the Nokia Store in Regents St and took it back today as I think the slider rocks excessively. Tried the demo models in the store and they all seem to have a wobble, so assume it is an undesirable "feature". Not impressed - it just does not feel right, so may take it back for a refund.

Old 23-10-2008, 01:27 PM

keefsloan is on a distinguished road
I agree. I was in the Nokia shop this lunchtime (23rd October) and spent about an hour playing with it. Great screen, like the transition effects from landscape to portrait etc. but the build quality isn't there. I've got an HTC Touch Dual and that has a rock solid slider with absolutely NO play whatsoever. It just feels a lot better put together. I was going to buy the N85 today, but after noticing that loose play in the slide (and knowing how much it would drive me mad!) I changed my mind. Why can't the slide be the same as the E series? Played with them as well and it's a very solid slide with no play. Nokia have lost a sale. AndI was soooo looking forward to getting my new toy as well...

Old 23-10-2008, 01:33 PM

marketsqhero is on a distinguished road
Yeah mine's the same. It's something I can live with though.

Old 23-10-2008, 03:22 PM

alphamusic is on a distinguished road
Does this seem to be an across the board problem for everyone who was a N85 or can anyone share any other experiences with more stable sliders? In the pre release reviews I don't remember hearing these kinds of complaints. Maybe the ramp up to production has caused some compromises in build quality?

Old 27-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
I have an N85 and its the same, on the z axis (i.e. tapping the bottom of the screen when the slider is open) it moves with a click, which is a little annoying and makes the phone feel a bit limp when your using it with the slider open. N95x had a very very small amount of movement but this is considerably more.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 PM

a2k24 is on a distinguished road
Nokia doesn't have the know how of making a "good slider".. PERIOD.
either that or they just don't want to give us one.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Smile Mine is perfect ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamusic View Post
Does this seem to be an across the board problem for everyone who was a N85 or can anyone share any other experiences with more stable sliders? In the pre release reviews I don't remember hearing these kinds of complaints. Maybe the ramp up to production has caused some compromises in build quality?
I've never had a problem with the slider .. mind you when I buy my phone's from HongKong I'm pretty sure they give them an extra quality control check before shipping them half-way round the world.

sorry to hear others are having issues .. maybe their phones are coming out of some eastern european factory with poor QC ??

Old 02-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Nokia can produce good sliders - the 6110N, E66, 6210N. I think most of the problem is the fact its a dual slider.

I understand its a gaming phone, and thus thats why they need the extra controls at the top.

But if I want something thats not a dual slider of the same spec - there is nothing.

I cannot ever see me using the extra slide, which is a shame, Id sacrifice it for a solid slider.

Mine was from Singapore, and had the issue. Its been sent back due to a GPS fault, and I will be getting a UK version next. I am hoping the UK version will not have the wobble problem (and working GPS).

These sort of problems is exactly why I have avoided the N series in the past, and my first foray into it is not good.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

a2k24 is on a distinguished road
@bartmanekul: yes E66 is a good one! haven't used the Navigators so can't comment. just makes you wonder how come the build quality differs so much if they both are produced by the same manufacturer ? (ref: E series and N series).
E series is out of this world. Japanese ? lol... j/k

not sure if its the dual slider or not. don't agree either. just know it should be better. coming from N95, N95 8GB, N81... it should be rectified by now. no ? being a bit harsh i guess, but its a bit disappointing. i like this phone, quite a bit. just the dodgy slider. everyone doesn't change their phone ever so often that they can get another in a couple of weeks time if this one doesn't go well. users do deserve quality equivalent to what they paid for it.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 PM

zuk1 is on a distinguished road
The n96 slider is positively satisfying to slide! So sharp and direct!

Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 PM

radical24 is on a distinguished road
Thank God that is not the case with my N85 ...wheew sorry toall those that have encountered this issue already on such a young device

Old 13-11-2008, 11:02 AM

imation_nz is on a distinguished road
-=| BREAKING NEWS!!! |=- Yay Fixed my Slider!!!!!!!!!

Well after using my brain for awhile and thinking of ways to fix the slider. cos it was REALLY GETTING ON MY NERVES!!!!

I have done it to a point where it feels pretty perfect.

When closed it still has alittle bit of play,

but what was really getting to me was when i have opened the phone it would play heaps!!!!

Its so easy its not funny all i did was take one felt spot. those things you put on the bottom of things to not scratch tables. I cut 4 bits into tiny pieces and poked them into all four corners of the slider and done.

I think you will now enjoy a none wobbly slider now, apart from when the slider is closed theres is still alittle play but it does not click

I love the N85 now all they have to do is change product code, get a update so i can enable the FM Trans and this phone is the best i have ever had.

batt is great, screen is great, ram is great, GPS is great, I must say that this is a huge upgrade from the N95-1 apart from the speaker volume which i think should be louder as it is not as loud as my N95, Hope that can be fixed in a firmware upgrade.

Also the camera can do with some improvements, Just hope nokia are working day and night to make this the super phone it seems to be

and yes i did see my phone reboot itself when doing nothing,
but reloaded and was fine

There is my 2 cents hope people try this and are as happy as i am.

But who know if the slider fix will last, will have to wait and see.

will keep you posted

Old 13-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
you have a problem with the volume?? Wow?